Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monel strings

Resident Hack

Default Re: Monel strings

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Stein View Post
    For those who have compared Monels to nickel-plated steel, what did you think?
    I really enjoyed my one (so far) excursion into monel and am about to try nps.
    So, this experiment was a bust. Mapes NPS.

I've tried Mapes Phosphor Bronze and compare them favorably to other brands. Their nickel-plated steel are just not appreciated by my instrument.

D'Addario Monels were smoother and warmer than their PB to me. The Mapes NPS were brighter and harsher, on my Kelley, than PB. Played them a day, took 'em to band practice and hated them so much I couldn't wait to get them off. Mapes has excellent prices, so it was worth it to cross that off my list.

Tossed some Mangan monels on and I was immediately happy again.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

Exclamation Re: Monel strings

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Stein View Post
    For those who have compared Monels to nickel-plated steel, what did you think?
    I really enjoyed my one (so far) excursion into monel and am about to try nps.
    Monel is non (or very weakly) magnetic so a magnetic pickup would only 'see' the core wire. much like bronze..
    but is more corrosion resistant ..

Nickel-ferrous alloys are better if playing electric .
    essentially electric guitar strings with a loop end..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Just ordered a few sets of the CM Monel strings, looking forward to trying them.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I almost chimed in before but didn't want to be the first to say I don't care for them. I'll echo Eric's thoughts above on the irritating edge of them. What really sealed the deal was when I put PB strings back on, my wife said how much better it sounded and not to use the Monels again because it sounded really bad to her. She's not a musician, but that's one reason I take her opinion to heart because it's an unbiased average listener's perspective.

That said, I have D'Addario Nickel Bronze on my dreadnaught right now and I think it sounds great. I'd be willing to try those on mando at some point, but guitars and mandos are different beasts.

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

I use them both and like them both because they last so much longer than plain 74's with my sweat chemistry. I had an unusual thing happen when I changed the last set of monels though. Both E strings broke as I was tuning them up to pitch. And they broke at a weird spot, like at the fourth or fifth fret. Anyone else have this happen? I always keep some single E's and A's around for broken string issues so I don't have to bust up a set, so not a big problem but still a bit strange. I have no issues with D'Addario in general, I love 'em. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this.
    We few, we happy few.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ritchhart View Post
    I use them both and like them both because they last so much longer than plain 74's with my sweat chemistry. I had an unusual thing happen when I changed the last set of monels though. Both E strings broke as I was tuning them up to pitch. And they broke at a weird spot, like at the fourth or fifth fret. Anyone else have this happen? I always keep some single E's and A's around for broken string issues so I don't have to bust up a set, so not a big problem but still a bit strange. I have no issues with D'Addario in general, I love 'em. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this.
    I had some guitar strings break and I wrote to D’Addario. They were appreciative and asked me to send the broken string to the R&D dept. they do care about quality. I believe though that unwound strings should the the same whether they come from Monel, NB or LB strings. At least I think that is true.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Put a set of Curt Mangan med. Monel strings on my Girouard F-5 yesterday. All I can say is WOW! These really work with this mandolin.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I had some guitar strings break and I wrote to D’Addario. They were appreciative and asked me to send the broken string to the R&D dept. they do care about quality. I believe though that unwound strings should the the same whether they come from Monel, NB or LB strings. At least I think that is true.
    Before I retired, I was a Quality professional. About 5 years ago I visited the D'addario factory in Farmingdale, NY. The purpose of my visit was to write an article about D'addario that was to be published in the American Society for Quality journal to find out about the quality control practices. I was blown way by their management's advanced understanding of quality principles. They live, eat, and sleep quality. They do care about quality.

9. The following members say thank you to Lucas for this post:

Kenny