Thread: Schertler Jam 100 or 150 users?

Default Schertler Jam 100 or 150 users?

Has anyone used any of these amplifiers and if so how do you like them with an acoustic mandolin like a Collings? Also what type of pickup (and preamp if you use one?) or microphone do you feed into the amp! Is the 150 overkill and worth the increased weight and expense? Are the reliable? Noisy? My intention is have an uncoloured and warm natural acoustic mandolin sound and have the option to use it as a monitor.
    As a monitor I would run a cable from the amp to the board!
    Any positive or negative comments are appreciated.
    Thanks! Thanks

Default Re: Schertler Jam 100 or 150 users?

Havent tried them but I spotted this quite thorough Jam100 review from 2013 which towards the end describes using it with a Collings Mando (generally positive).
    https://acousticguitar.com/schertler-jam-100-review/
    Strikes me as a tad pricey if they are still going for 800USD for the econo model. Wonder how it compares to Fishman Loudbox value#wise. The extra channels look handy (3 plus an RCA-input one).
    I am a big fan of the Schertler Dyn-M pickup and would expect it to be specced to cooperate with the company’s amps.
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music

Though there is also this comment in that review:
    If you’re using a passive pickup, things get trickier. The 1/4-inch inputs on channels one and two are 10 kilohms, while channel three’s “high-z” input is considerably higher at 47 kilohms. Unfortunately, this is still lower than ideal for passive piezo pickups, which generally sound best connected to a minimum of 1 megohms. If your guitar has no internal preamp, you might like the sound of it plugged straight into the Schertler, but most likely, you’ll want an outboard preamp. My Pick-up the World UST sounded thin and weak plugged directly in to the Jam, but it sounded great into any of the inputs when I first buffered it with an L.R. Baggs Para DI preamp.

Exclamation Re: Schertler Jam 100 or 150 users?

I bought the passive Schertler pickup, older Dyn-M one many years ago *..
    newer one looks thinner comes in active P-48 phantom dependent, internal preamp
    ( DYN UNI ls their current passive )
    I Found with my Dyn-M ist a strong signal & plugging it via an Impedance Matching Transformer,
    I could use a regular Guitar amp input, with the TR 1/4" output ..
    A friend uses as similar matching transformer between a Shure 58 & a Fender Tweed Tube amp, Playing his Flute..

* Added a 2nd hand Mix A5 , it came with an internal version of same pickup. now called Resocoil ..

I did not pony up for the Swiss made Amps.. Have a Roland AC 60(2 channel line outs to mixer)

& A mobile AC.. AA battery option or wall wart power supply ..

Saw Evan, I play so fast I glue my pick to my finger, Marshall using one, laid on the floor, as his monitor .

AC 60 seems fine sounding ... power supply transformer makes it smallish but heavy.
    It includes a useful padded carry bag with side pockets..

Although their smaller Swiss made Giulia amp, looks nice, and would go nicely with an Alfa Romeo Giulia ..

Last edited by mandroid; Oct-14-2021 at 7:07pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have the Baggs para DI and have piezo pickups.
    I presently use an older trace Elliot acoustic amp but it is a too harsh sounding. I am looking to mellow out the sound
    And this amp has come up at a decent price.
    This is why I am inquiring.

Question Re: Schertler Jam 100 or 150 users?

Might be time to replace the Pickup to a non piezo. It, as a signal source, may be the root your problem.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks for all the feedback!
    I also use a s Schertler Dyn at times and a condenser microphone. I am looking for an amp which will serve me in all formats!
    But maybe I am dreaming!!

Question Re: Schertler Jam 100 or 150 users?

My AC 60 serves up phantom power to its Mic channel , instrument channel has a magnetic/piezo source switch .

their target market the singer songwriter soloist, I assume .. ( being neither)
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Well I invited the seller over to audition the Schertler Jam 100. It is quite impressive as an acoustic amplifier. I played a couple of nice acoustic mandos through it with glorious results. The sound it really clean without colouration. The instruments sound “simply” amplified. There are high mid and bass EQ adjustments and a reverb effect; pretty minimal compared to what my Trace Elliott tr50 could do. The sound quality however blows the Trace away. I would say you MUST have a nice instrument and pickup to realize the benefits from this type of amplifier. The adjustments of the on-board EQ do NOT give you a wide adjustment range. I don’t think a poor sounding instrument will sound better than it is! Some would say this point is a good thing and others would argue the contrary. My sources are quality mandolins alongside a Trillium Octave mandolin with recognized pickups. I also use a DPA microphone which is supported by the phantom power of the Schertler. I was disappointed with the performance of my Shertler Dyn stick on pickup. I experience an unacceptable thumping boxy sound with it. I was expecting it to be significantly more compatible with a Shertler amplifier! I have never been able to make this one work for me!
    So I bought the amp and really like it. Thumbs up to this Schertler!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barry Canada For This Useful Post: