Thread: Upgrade multi-pedal from Zoom to Helix HX Stomp

Default Upgrade multi-pedal from Zoom to Helix HX Stomp

Had a lot of good times with the Zoom, used it for bass and mandolin, mostly for EQ and compressor. But now that I have an electric mando, wanted reverb, tremolo, and delay. And the Zoom's lower-quality sound wasn't cutting it for me. Hissy preamp, and digital artifacts in the hall reverb were too much.

Until I looked around I didn't even know there was a 'budget' Helix option. I always though of them as the best, and over $1k, and huge. Once I saw the HX Stomp and its smaller size and price, the deal was pretty much done.

It will get used for bass, mando, and emando, and arrives tomorrow. Let the programming begin...

It will replace a G3, MS-60B, and an MXR preamp.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Default Re: Upgrade multi-pedal from Zoom to Helix HX Stomp

Sounds like the box is in the mail to your door, but might still be worth going to a giant guitar retailer and trying out competitors Boss/Roland, Headrush, Kemper, Fractal, Eventide, Strymon Mobius, there's lots. Problem is they're all pretty deep UIs, take awhile to learn to navigate.

Also some of the modeling amps i've tried, Blackstar, Yamaha, Vox, Roland, sound pretty good on individual effects, I haven't spent a lot of time tweaking them
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

I read some of their manuals to see what they could do. Only really looked at the eventide as a possible alternative. I imagine there were many usable alternatives as most of them are at least 3x what the Zoom cost.

WRT to amps, I need a pedal, I play onstage with a pickup into an FOH board. I can dial in my sound at home in a portable PA, and pretty much know how I will sound in the mains. No surprises is good. :-)

The HX arrrived today, initial programming is done. It does what I need so far, had to try several of its reverb effects to get the sound I was looking for. The preamp is clean too, so both problems solved. Patches still have some tweaking needed, will be playing out out on bass next week with it, the emando has some more time to prepare.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.

keep us informed sounds interesting

I've only run thru a few of the presets w/GC's guitars, i was thinking one of these days I'd haul my LP clone and a lap steel down there to say what they can really do.

There were some HX Stomp reviews in Soundon Sound, "recording" and a few guitar magazines that concern various workflows w/ the HX Stomp into a DAW, DI, amp's front input or effects loop, worth looking up. I can send you the review from "Recoreding" if you want

If they work like they claim they do i think the only other pedals I would want/need are volume/expression, looper and clean boost (TC Sparks' both regular and mini sized) and maybe the boost would be unnecessary.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

I read the Helix manual which covered all of those hookup variations, its connectivity options are first-rate.

You sound like you might benefit from a bigger Helix, then you wouldn't need anything else. Some come with a pedal , or you can add one to the stomp. They have clean boost as a footswitchable effect too. But once you need a chain longer than 6 effects or need more footswitches, you need one of the bigger ones. The Helix lineup is designed to let you buy the one that fits your needs.

Ok, I owe Zoom an apology here, I revisited it and found some of their reverb effects are just fine (there are so many, I think think just picked an odd one). I'm enjoying the Helix, but the Zoom still beats all for portability and battery power, it will be my travel pedal on the upcoming vacation, replacing the pocket pod.

Hey Kurth83,
    I read that you use an HX stomp with your e-acoustic mandolin. I try to do the same thing, I have an Eastman mandolin (a style) with k&k pickups in it and the main problem is that I as soon as i increase the volume the PA system starts "screaming". Also the pickups are very sensitive so I struggle when I have to strum chords.
    Additional info: i connect the hx stomp to the mixer using a DI box.
    Do you have some experience to share with me? I'd really appreciate it.

i got the helix lite and although its a bit large, you can do a whole lot with it , making your own sound from scratch, works with violin , mando, acoustic guitar very well. although it sounds like a lot of money , If you add up all the pedals you try and have it comes out not that different ( for me ) and it can be upgraded any time without buying another pedal, plus very easy to switch between the three instruments while on stage .