Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shure sm57

Post Shure sm57

I am looking for a decent mando mic and would like feedback from anyone who has used this one. I am a rather "soft" player and need something to help me to be on par with a banjo and dobro in our band. Any other recommendations for a good mic would be appreciated also. I know next to nothing...

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Shure sm57

There are fancier mics, and hotter mics, and mics that might yield a rainbow of sound when conditions are absolutely right.
    But, when you get in a tough room and the equipment doesn't want to dial in no matter how hard you try, an SM 57 will work when nothing else will.
    And it's affordable, and doesn't need phantom power. 100 to 110 bucks new.

Some of the small clip on condenser mikes are pretty good, but they can be finicky, and can be a pain to mount before the gig.
    I recommend an SM 57 first, and then if you want to try something hotter later, you will be able to fall back on the 57 when the hot mike won't work.

3. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Thanks! I appreciate your opinion.

The '57 is a legend, a workhorse, I have been using them since the 70's. In fact, I still have one from the '70s. I have tried to kill it, but it won't die.

6. The following members say thank you to meow-n-dolin for this post:

thanks for your input!

Thumbs up to the above comments.
    I just got a Myers Grip and really love it. It is a clip on so if that doesn't work for you...
    Buy gear! I own several 57's and 58's too.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by meow-n-dolin View Post
    The '57 is a legend, a workhorse, I have been using them since the 70's. In fact, I still have one from the '70s. I have tried to kill it, but it won't die.
    Yes, that's another advantage of 57's and 58's: they're idiot proof, and nearly musician proof.

Nothing wrong with an SM57 but I suppose we should ask what you want it for? Live work, recording? And what you’re intending to plug it into?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

"Feedback?" "Input?" you guys crack me up!

It sounds like he wants it for playing live, "to be on par with a banjo and dobro in our band" as he put it. When recording, levels will be adjusted on the board. But yes, any specifics would help with deciding responses.

Also, there are loads of threads on the subject. This recent thread elicited a lot of insight on the subject. I know you want people to answer your question directly, but you can also get a lot of good ideas by reading through a few of these.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

When I had a choice between a 57 and an SM81 I chose the 81 https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/microphones/sm81

I've hesitated to weigh in because I've never performed live with a mandolin, but I have recorded a good number of acoustic open mics with all kinds of instruments and performers. When the OP wrote "soft player" and in conjunction with loud instruments like a dobro or banjo, my first thought is that this is why pickups were created. Maybe it's not an option, but having a signal from a pickup, perhaps to augment the (any!) mic, is, IMO, going to solve a lot of issues.

Will the SM57 work? Maybe, but, honestly, I can't say, not having heard the players, seen/heard how they're interacting with their own mics, and the place where they're playing. The SM57's low sensitivity can work in its favor or against it, depending on a lot of factors. You could say the same thing about a small condenser, or choosing something with a tighter (super-cardioid) pattern, etc.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Joed View Post
    When I had a choice between a 57 and an SM81 I chose the 81 https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/microphones/sm81
    The SM81 is way ahead of the SM57 but it’s also way ahead interms of price and it needs phantom power. It’s probably more durable that the 57 - I remember when they first came out and the design spec said they had to be able to survive being dropped onto a concrete floor from a height of two metres. Try that with a 57 and you’re likely to break the plastic; still, horses for courses!

Question Re: Shure sm57

Seeing a packaged deal SM 57/58* + an adapter offering a USB home recording option X2u (that works with any mic)
    https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/bundles/sm57-x2u

*capsule the same for both .. ball screen means mic wont slip out of your hand, so easily..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have a KSM137 which is very similar to the SM81 and it works fine for what I do.

What I just started using which I can heartily recommend is the Myers Grip With Flexible Micro-Gooseneck. It is fabulous!
    Scroll down on this page,
    https://www.myerspickups.com/pickups/the-grip-series

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Live work, no recording. And an average PA head.

BTW Mando-Red is a WOMAN!

20. The following members say thank you to mando-red for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Sorry! Hard to tell from this angle.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by mando-red View Post
    BTW Mando-Red is a WOMAN!
    SM57s are unisex and mine have been used by both men and women - one should be fine but, if you’re picky you could do better but bear in mind that a sound system is only as good as its worst component so if, say, your speakers are shot, it won’t make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    The SM81 is way ahead of the SM57 but it’s also way ahead interms of price and it needs phantom power. It’s probably more durable that the 57 - I remember when they first came out and the design spec said they had to be able to survive being dropped onto a concrete floor from a height of two metres. Try that with a 57 and you’re likely to break the plastic; still, horses for courses!
    As the 81s have been around so long you might find a used one at a good price. There are plenty of mics out there that have been sitting in a drawer for a couple of decades. When you buy a used mic, take some headphones and something to drive em like a mini recorder. You'll probably need an xlr adaptor. Anyway listen to the mic, wiggle it around and check for noise (sometimes an easy fix). With an 81 the highs should be very crisp.

You'll probably need an xlr adaptor.
    !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    ... You'll probably need an xlr adaptor. ....
    !!!!!
    To get the SM81 into a "mini recorder" mentioned just before the adaptor comment, you *might* need both a battery-powered phantom power bump in the cable as well as an XLR to 3.5mm (1/8") mic plug, is what I extrapolated from that.

I would definitely take a piece of gear that let me test any mic I was buying used these days, if it wasn't from some place like GC where I could easily return it in case it proved to be faulty.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well .... The SM series mics are good , solid , usable instruments. They are also hardy. The thing about mics, any mics, is that you will find situations where they are not optimum. Having a transducer in your instrument coupled with a quality pre-amp and a good mic yields a combination of gear that will "handle " most any sound reinforcement situation. For my gear I have an SM 57 , an AKG C1000S a K&K mini and an L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic D I preamp. I also pack extra cords in my "gig bag". Good luck in your quest for a collection of gear that suits your particular needs and budget.
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Question Re: Shure sm57

With same capsule, ball end just wont let you close mic to the capsule,
    as the flat ended 57.. [that last 3/4"]

Singing those p's and ss'es & moist sounds are taken in stride with dynamic mic types ..

Condensers as a class, are more moisture sensitive..
    (they packed desiccant pouches with a pair of Rode* & small zip lock bags) ..
    * they included the cautionary notice..

BTW, The Shure X2u is, it seems , a bit more than just an adapter.
    https://www.shure.com/en-US/products...-usb-interface ..

Last edited by mandroid; Oct-17-2021 at 8:58pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Mason-Red, any chance you and one of the people you play with could meet at a local store to try some nice while you both play? My local store would have done that for someone on a mic hunt. If so you’ll get an idea how the two of you sound and can compare.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.