Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ? about Dunlop Primetone picks...

Default ? about Dunlop Primetone picks...

Still fairly new to mandolin, so still going through that “pick experimentation phase”

Curious about the Primetone picks. I get it, about the 2 different shapes, one more rounded, one pointier. I also get it how you can get a standard size, or a smaller.
    I even understand the 2 forms of the same material, since many have talked about the differences in sound.

What I am asking/wondering about is the different thicknesses offered?

Primetones are 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5. Could there really be that much difference between these? I’ve ordered a couple, unfortunately you have to buy 3 at a time. Would be great if you could get a 3-pack, 1 of each thickness.
    Figure out what you like, then order more.

I’m just wondering what one might expect going from a 1.3 to a 1.4? Not really trying to be facetious, just wondering if there is any justification trying a different thickness?

Default Re: ? about Dunlop Primetone picks...

It’s generally a matter of “feel”; just as some people prefer light gauge strings and some like medium or heavy gauge, you should really try ‘em all and find the gauge you like best.

Usually a thicker pick will be not as bright so if you are trying to tame a bright mandolin a thicker pick may be for you. If your mandolin is warm and deep that same thick pick may sound muted or lifeless and may not be what you want. I feel there is more difference in the wound strings than the plain strings when I say muted or simply deader like old strings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Not a lot of difference from a 1.3 to a 1.5 if all other factors remain the same.

To me the size and shape make more difference, that said, I am a fan of primetones. I think I mostly own the 1.4's. The lettering wears off with lots of play, I have several them with no letters, but the tips held their shape just fine.

For me now, it's about the sound I get from a pick. You gotta try them all really. And if you avoid the expensive brands you can try a lot of picks for not much money.

Having that collection is really useful when you get a new instrument.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Medley 12-If you live in the US I have a few different 1.5 Primetones w/grip I’ll send if you want to experiment. One is my personal favorite, but that’s something you can decide for yourself. Send me a PM if you’re interested.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	853.5 KB 
ID:	191074

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve 2E For This Useful Post:

Big fan of the brown 1.5 small triangle Primetones. I drill a hole pattern similar to the Wegans for improved grip. Next stop will be Apollo "Peek" picks.

I have some 1.4 and 1.5 large triangle Primetones I am not using, PM me if you are interested and I will send them free of charge.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:

You can't beat the above two offers !

11. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Big fan of the brown 1.5 small triangle Primetones. I drill a hole pattern similar to the Wegans for improved grip. Next stop will be Apollo "Peek" picks.

I have some 1.4 and 1.5 large triangle Primetones I am not using, PM me if you are interested and I will send them free of charge.
    I’ve experimented with drilling holes too, but the holes are precisely coordinated with the ridges of my thumbprint and I am not willing to share.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	567.7 KB 
ID:	191075
    Ok, not really, I just grabbed the drill and went nuts, but I’m willing to send the others free of charge also!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 2E For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Medley12 View Post
    Not really trying to be facetious, just wondering if there is any justification trying a different thickness?
    There is always a justification for trying new picks, new strings and new mandolins.

Primetones come in a whole bunch of thicknesses if you like the teardrop shape.

I’m a newbie about five months in and definitely still looking for the right pick also- if any of the generous offers above aren’t taken already let me know as I’d love to try a primetone.
    Don

NDO- hey Don, I’m Joe, the original poster. I did inquire about the offers above, but....
    I’ve also ordered a couple. If you send me a PM, I can pass some along to you.

Not sure if the Traveling Pick Sampler(s) are still out in the world, but add a post to the end of this thread asking to be included.

Just one of the many excellent community projects of the Cafe'
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Sounds great, thank you Kevin.

Most of us will experiment with different picks for our entire life.

At least, I know I do...
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Found the large primetone triangles, 1.4 to 1.5.
    No need to change for me.
    The grippy ones.

I had a BC. I lost it of course being brown (whyyyyy!!!????!!). Was recommended one of the white wegens. But nah, again, not enough for me to change. Not throwing money away on a dark carpet ever again for such a minimal tone difference.
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

22. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    Found the large primetone triangles, 1.4 to 1.5.
    No need to change for me.
    The grippy ones.

I had a BC. I lost it of course being brown (whyyyyy!!!????!!). Was recommended one of the white wegens. But nah, again, not enough for me to change. Not throwing money away on a dark carpet ever again for such a minimal tone difference.
    Dark pubs with brown carpets and brown picks... shudder... been there done that!!

24. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Cobalt 

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
    Most of us will experiment with different picks for our entire life.

At least, I know I do...
    Ain't that the truth!

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    Dark pubs with brown carpets and brown picks... shudder... been there done that!!
    Literally had it two weeks. Never again...! The PTs are three a pack, for £8 or so... and almost as good in my view. I really had to listen for the difference. My tone is (now markedly) not great but I sat with Rex Preston one day (not really a name drop now he's quit music!) and he was banging on about his wegen... but.... he'd make a piece of cardboard sound good on a mando. I actually think he was hard pushed to criticise my PT pick he just decided to say he liked his drilled holes...

BCs and the like are great if you have money to spare, or don't play live (in other times of course). But I need a damn good workhorse that stays in my mitts and I don't mind losing so much
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

I only play the smooth large triangle ones and haven't seen those in the 1.3 thickness. I have both 1.4 and 1.5 and can't tell the difference between them response-wise. With Blue Chips, a difference of 0.010" makes a very noticeable difference in the sound and response. The Primetones serve as backups for settings where I don't want to lose the $$BC's. To me, there is a worthwhile improvement in the sound and feel of a Blue Chip pick.

I used a Prime Tone, large triangle, 1.5mm Dark Brown smooth (non-grippy) pick for about 2 years, until I finally settled on a Blue Chip TP60.

The Prime Tones are really good picks - they deliver a lot of volume, and good tone. I personally find that the Blue Chip TP60 delivers a slightly warmer, beefier tone, with less pick noise, and it suits me really well - been using the same one for 5 years now, with no pick wear despite daily playing.

Still got the Prime Tones in my case, and my wallet, just in case I lose the Blue Chip!

One more thing to mention - the "smooth" Prime Tones give a warmer tone than the "grippy" ones. Seems to me that the plastic is different on the two versions. I personally didn't care for the grippy ones, and gave them away.

The great thing with picks is that, with few exceptions, they're not expensive - but, like strings, they can have a significant impact on your tone (with guitars as well as mandolins). Yes, the likes of Blue Chip, and a few others, cost more, but if you don't like them you can always sell them on.

Hope this helps

John

This is a timely topic for me. After some frustration with my playing, I started experimenting with some picks and "came back" to the Dunlop Primetone 1.5 ridged. But as you can see in the admittedly poor picture, I've filed a little off the playing edge to give a slightly more rounded tip. I also gave it just a little bit of a bevel.
    The result is a lot better moving from string to string, smoother tremelos, less pick noise which is why I stopped using them originally, and a more even tone all over the fretboard.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primetone.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	191083The whole 3 pack v. 12 pack is a pain, I would prefer a 6 pack (no pun intended).
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

Quote Originally Posted by gspiess View Post
    This is a timely topic for me. After some frustration with my playing, I started experimenting with some picks and "came back" to the Dunlop Primetone 1.5 ridged. But as you can see in the admittedly poor picture, I've filed a little off the playing edge to give a slightly more rounded tip. I also gave it just a little bit of a bevel.
    The result is a lot better moving from string to string, smoother tremelos, less pick noise which is why I stopped using them originally, and a more even tone all over the fretboard.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primetone.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	191083The whole 3 pack v. 12 pack is a pain, I would prefer a 6 pack (no pun intended).
    I’ve done the same thing and have a few Primetone triangles with one rounded point. It provides some flexibility in playing.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

The grippy vs non-grippy are really different animals. They produce very different sounds. 1.3-1.5 would all be considered moderately heavy picks. After some experimentation you might find a preference but it will be small. But definitely try both grip and non grip. They're different enough that they probably shouldn't share the same name.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

I do wish Dunlop had assigned a bit more distinction to each of the sizes/shapes/materials because there is a a lot of diversity inside the 'Primetone' tent. On finding a perffered style, I bought a whole bunch in case Dunlop decides to reduce the number of versions, and get rid of some. Using the 1.3 semi-round triangle in the darker brown, opaque material without any bumps or texturing.

I also like the Dunlop 494P102 Americana, but mostly just to hold in the hand as a 'worry stone'. Whatever works, eh?

33. The following members say thank you to Michael H Geimer for this post: