Thread: mandolin with violin music

Blog Entries

Default mandolin with violin music

Are there other examples of duos made up of mandolin and violin? I just love this couple who have great style, (and fun) with their instruments.

Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DougC For This Useful Post:

Default Re: mandolin with violin music

Check out Post #1 (a mite different from the one you posted):

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...andolin-(1976)
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

You can take usually anything written or transcribed for 2 violins and put a couple of 'C' instruments like 2 mandolins or 2 flutes, or mix them up, and give it a go. A quick search shows this looks to have been written for 2 violins originally. I don't know if it was modified here or if the mandolin is just playing a 2nd part.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Blog Entries

I mentioned it in another thread. I find the Mazas violin duets great material for violin / mandolin duets. I have had a lot of fun with Fifteen Duos Abecedaires, Op. 85 for Two Violins. Great fun.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Telemann's Gulliver Suite is great fun, whatever the instrumentation (it's originally for two violins) -- thanks for the link to the mandolin/violin duo! One issue with such duets is volume matching to make sure the violin doesn't drown out the mandolin.

As for pieces intended for that configuration, Carlo Arrigoni (1697-1744) wrote a sonata in E Minor for mandolin, violin and basso. There's a nice recording in the original instrumentation on the album "Venice's Fragrance" by Artemandoline, available on Youtube in this Playlist (tracks 8 to 11):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1pdutmcLUnOHKo

Many years ago, I recorded that sonata myself, but on two mandolins so it doesn't match your request. Good fun to play, though!

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Jonas; Oct-17-2021 at 7:42am.

Blog Entries

That Carlo Arrigoni is very nice. Another composer unknown to me, there seem to be dozens of gems out there. However, I'm looking for duo material, violin and mandolin in an early classical style with a bit of 'back and forth' contrapuntal style.

Has anyone heard of Erich Doflein? He seemed to know everybody and he as some amazing material, including Mazas, in his violin method books.

While not classical, I enjoyed this duo....

If you go to youtube and enter "mandolin and fiddle duet" you will be exposed to many, including some by Mandolin Orange.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

9. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

“Glory in the Meetinghouse” - Hot Rize. Tim O’Brien on fiddle, Nick Forster on mandolin. The rest of the band joins in but on their album, it’s just Mando and fiddle.

https://youtu.be/w6WQApDcjK8

Blog Entries

These are very nice and great examples of fiddle an mandolin. I'm surprised that Darol Anger and Mike Marshall are not suggested yet. However, I'm looking for stuff more in the classical realm, like this duo.

Scroggins and Rose have two terrific albums out. They burst with ideas and energy.

Blog Entries

They are fun indeed and I love their musical ideas, sort of in the vein of modern acoustic music. At least that's what I call it. The Punch Brothers, the Danish Quartet, Brooklyn Rider and others all have this music based on folk music and classical idioms.

I found that I'm really interested in Baroque mandolin and violin however. Telemann, Bach, and even Mozart, and Scarlatti minuet duos are best.

However, I'm looking for a modern mandolin sound. That's not easy to find.

So many mandolin players are playing Bach nowadays, a Baroque composer. I'd like to hear some of this type of music played with violin and mandolin. And some other composers pieces that are not the usual orchestra with mandolin stuff like Vivaldi.
    Last edited by DougC; Oct-18-2021 at 6:46pm.

Blog Entries

Here is a good example.

Check out the album "Mandolino e Violino in Italia" by Anna Torge (mandolin) and Mayumi Hirasaki (violin). This has the Arrigoni piece (along with another by him), the Hasse concerto for mandolin and two violins, two Vivaldi trio sonatas (originally for lute rather than mandolin) and the Vivaldi concerto for oboe and violin with the oboe part given to the mandolin.

It's on Youtube on this playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...DVyGtF4A9pwWI4

Another recording of the Hasse concerto, with Theodoras Kitsas on mandolin, is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E96Rp-Hhphw

Finally, Anna Torge has also recorded a Barbella concerto for mandolin and two violins on a different album, "Mandolin Concertos, Forgotten treasures Vol. 10". You can hear samples online, but I think there is no Youtube version of the entire piece (although other tracks from that album are online).

Martin

16. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

DougC 

This one is really nice: six of the Bartok violin duets recorded as mandolin and violin duets:

Martin

Blog Entries

The Hasse recording is very nice, thanks.

What seems odd to me however is that modern mandolin e.g. not bowl back mandolins, is used with all kinds of duo combinations except violin. The most famous being Mike Marshall and Katrina Lichtenberg, mandolin - mandocello. There is mandolin - guitar, mandolin - flute, mandolin - oboe, mandolin - double bass, mandolin - banjo, etc. And what I'm looking for is arrangements of tunes like this Hasse for just mandolin and violin.

This Telemann Vivace from the Duo in E would be nice with a mandolin. (A Cape Breton/Baroque fiddler, and an Irish flute player BTW.) Very nice duo playing here.