Thread: Help with new Mandolin - Allieno Di Venaccia?

Default Help with new Mandolin - Allieno Di Venaccia?

Hi,

I recently got this lovely Mandolin from a family friend, it has no strings but I have a set of new strings still sealed which I was going to use to restring.

If anyone can help with provenance on this, so who made it, what year it may have been made and any value it may have it would be appreciated.

P.S: I don't really have any idea on wat strings would be suitable but if anyone can confirm that the ones I have would be suitable it would also be greatly appreciated.

Finally I can't wait to get using this beautiful instrument!

Kind regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211016_235439839.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	551.1 KB 
ID:	196884   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211016_235910397.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	678.9 KB 
ID:	196885   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211016_235931164.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	621.6 KB 
ID:	196886  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211017_000155287.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	430.5 KB 
ID:	196887  

2. The following members say thank you to Conmai for this post:

Default Re: Help with new Mandolin - Allieno Di Venaccia?

Michele Marano. The label states he was a Vinaccia student. Get the lightest gauge strings you can find- GHS do an ultra light set- medium is asking for trouble on an old bowlback. I found this thread:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...arano-mandolin

Strings via mail order: https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/ghs...ight-9-32.html

4. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Nice mandolin. Fair play to you.

What Nick said.

Do not use those strings on this mandolin.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Does it have a bridge?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Hi,

Many thanks for the replies, I will certainly look for a new set of strings!

It does have a bridge, it has fallen off looks like the original adhesive material has just dried out, not sure what adhesive to use to stick back on bit will do a little research.

Kind regards

Quote Originally Posted by Conmai View Post
    Hi,
    It does have a bridge, it has fallen off looks like the original adhesive material has just dried out, not sure what adhesive to use to stick back on bit will do a little research.
    The bridge should not be glued it place. It is just held in place by string pressure.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

Interesting label in that Signore Marano claims not only to have been a pupil (allievo) of the Vinaccia workshop (then the poshest mandolin makers in Naples, with endorsement by the Queen of Italy) but also to be using the "Sistema De Meglio" just to cover all the bases. De Meglio were probably the highest volume mandolin makers in Naples at the time and used a distinctive construction system which they had patented. Their labels warn against imitators of which there were many.

From the photo of your mandolin, it is of the Vinaccia type, not the De Meglio type.

As others have said, use ultra light strings (GHS ultra lights are a good set for initial setup as they're fairly widely available). There is a skill in setting the bridge position correctly for good intonation and ensuring clean contact at the bridge and nut slots. If you're not experienced, you may want to seek local advice with the setup.

Martin

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    Interesting label in that Signore Marano claims not only to have been a pupil (allievo) of the Vinaccia workshop (then the poshest mandolin makers in Naples, with endorsement by the Queen of Italy) but also to be using the "Sistema De Meglio" just to cover all the bases. De Meglio were probably the highest volume mandolin makers in Naples at the time and used a distinctive construction system which they had patented. Their labels warn against imitators of which there were many.
    Martin
    Martin and alll...here is a Michele Maratea with the Sistema De Meglio label.

I've sometimes wondered whether some of these mandolins made with the "Sistema" weren't indeed made by folks who might also have worked for DeMeglio. Given their high volume of production perhaps work was jobbed out to various shops rather than done exclusively at a central atelier.

This one looks very much like the proper DeMeglios but for the slightly heftier tulipwood (?) banding around the top.

The small bit of gap between the end of the fretboard and the soundhole might not have passed muster on Vico Lungo Gelso.

Mick

Name:	Maratea_Michele-#6-Front.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	196913   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maratea_Michele-#6-Label.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	196914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maratea_Michele-#6-Side.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	196915  

Name:	Maratea_Michele-#6-Top View.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	196916  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Michele Maratea perhaps had a brother, Raffaele, who was also an allievo di Vinaccia.

From the few examples I have, Raffaele's mandolins were a bit more luxurious than il suo fratello's.

Raffaele Maratea also included a "Sistema DeMeglio" on his labels even if some of his instruments showed a Calace influence.

FWIW, I've never been a big fan of the more ornate DeMeglio sistema mandolins, preferring their more classic almost Martin-esque simplicity.

Other RM mandolins are very Vinaccian, as one would expect from an allievo.

Mick

Name:	Maratea_Raffaele-#5-Front.jpeg 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	196932   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maratea_Raffaele-#5-Label.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	260.4 KB 
ID:	196933   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maratea_Raffaele-#5-Front 2.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	389.9 KB 
ID:	196934  

Name:	Maratea_Raffaele-#4-Front.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	196935   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maratea_Raffaele-#4-Label.JPG 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	196936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maratea_Raffaele-#3-Front.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	196937  

Name:	Maratea_Raffaele-#2-label.jpg 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	196938  

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

16. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Martin and alll...here is a Michele Maratea with the Sistema De Meglio label.

I've sometimes wondered whether some of these mandolins made with the "Sistema" weren't indeed made by folks who might also have worked for DeMeglio. Given their high volume of production perhaps work was jobbed out to various shops rather than done exclusively at a central atelier.

This one looks very much like the proper DeMeglios but for the slightly heftier tulipwood (?) banding around the top.

The small bit of gap between the end of the fretboard and the soundhole might not have passed muster on Vico Lungo Gelso.

Mick
    Very interesting De Meglio clone. However, the label on the OP's mandolin doesn't say Michele Maratea, but Michele Marano (or possibly Varano -- the printer used a very abstract capital letter font), so we're talking about a different Vinaccia pupil.

Martin

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Some mistaken labeling in file folders on my part....And the curse of failing eyesight.

I do have a number of Marano mandolins in the files...all in a rather straightforward and modest Vinaccia style.

Marano's actual role in these would be anyone's guess.
    No real reason to doubt other than we've seen these kinds of "Fabbricante" often.

The Marateas: Michele, Raffaele and Domenico seem to have been better students.

Mick

Name:	Marano_Michele-#1-Front.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	196946   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marano_Michele-#4-Front.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	196947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marano_Michele-#4-Label.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	196948  

Name:	Marano_Michele-#5-Front.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	258.7 KB 
ID:	196949  

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

20. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

All good recommendations above from my esteemed colleagues. My only additions would be to have the mandolin set up properly by a pro luthier. Also, I am not a big fan of GHS strings except for those on a budget. Yes for the ultra light gauge but I much prefer the tone from Dogal Calace RW92B Dolce strings. Much better tone for these Italian bowlbacks. I usually try the GHS A-240 set for a test initially since they are inexpensive.

As others have noted those D’Addario strings will destroy this old mandolin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

22. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    All good recommendations above from my esteemed colleagues. My only additions would be to have the mandolin set up properly by a pro luthier. Also, I am not a big fan of GHS strings except for those on a budget. Yes for the ultra light gauge but I much prefer the tone from Dogal Calace RW92B Dolce strings. Much better tone for these Italian bowlbacks. I usually try the GHS A-240 set for a test initially since they are inexpensive.

As others have noted those D’Addario strings will destroy this old mandolin.
    I agree on the tone point, but I was recommending the GHS A-240 for precisely that reason: as an inexpensive test run to see whether the mandolin is actually playable. Until it has been strung up, we won't know if there are significant setup or even structural issues that need to be addressed.

Martin