Thread: Arpeggio's

Default Arpeggio's

I'm working on my basic theory and doing a lot of finger exercises to work on my tone... started playing in May of this year and am having a blast.

I have 3 Mandolin books I routinely review and play. I'm now at Arpeggio. I can play the G, C & D arpeggio's but my question is I don't understand the theory behind the arpeggio scale notes. What is the theory behind G, B & D and the other arpeggio notes for C & D?

Really enjoy the forum.
    Loar LM-110-BRB Honey Creek A-Style

Default Re: Arpeggio's

Simply put they are the 1,3,5 scale positions

Arpeggios are the notes that are in the chords, when you strum a G chord you are playing the notes G, B and D. So arpeggios are the building blocks of creating your own solos.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Indeed, the math in music shows the way. Chord construction leads the way to the melody. Arpeggios , whether major, minor, diminished , augmented or extended .... playing the scale patterns based on the chord is the first step in the direction of improvisation. Number the tones in a scale 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1 though often stated in Roman numerals, you can organize the intervals.... the distance between tones... and understand the building diagrams of chords and the basis of melodies. Major chords 1,3,5 a minor chords 1, flat 3 , 5 Dominant 7th's 1,3,5, flat 7. And you're off! Wikipedia has some very good articles on music theory and chord construction. Enjoy the journey. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

5. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Arpeggios are just playing the notes of a chord individually, one after another. From a theory prospective the basic chord (called a triad) are based on scales. Chords are made from every other note from the starting note (the root, 3rd, and 5th notes in the case of a triad). In your instance where you are playing C, D, and G arpeggios, You are playing in G Major. The notes in a G Major scale are G, A, B, C, D, E, F#. So a triad made starting on G has the notes G, B, and D. Starting on C you get C, E, and G. Starting on D you get D, F#, and A. These are all major triads. One source of confusion to beginners is that the order of the notes doesn't change the name. For instance the simplest C Major chord on a mandolin (using open strings) Is voiced G, E, C, E. It is still a C major triad.

7. The following members say thank you to Nevin for this post:

Thanks for the information. I watched a YouTube video and all the replies provided better detail to me. Thanks.
    Loar LM-110-BRB Honey Creek A-Style

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    Arpeggios are just playing the notes of a chord individually, one after another. From a theory prospective the basic chord (called a triad) are based on scales. Chords are made from every other note from the starting note (the root, 3rd, and 5th notes in the case of a triad). In your instance where you are playing C, D, and G arpeggios, You are playing in G Major. The notes in a G Major scale are G, A, B, C, D, E, F#. So a triad made starting on G has the notes G, B, and D. Starting on C you get C, E, and G. Starting on D you get D, F#, and A. These are all major triads. One source of confusion to beginners is that the order of the notes doesn't change the name. For instance the simplest C Major chord on a mandolin (using open strings) Is voiced G, E, C, E. It is still a C major triad.
    Or it could be an Em triad.

Em triad would have E, G and B, lowtone2. With the C included it would be an Em6, I think.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

11. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Nevin 

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Em triad would have E, G and B, lowtone2. With the C included it would be an Em6, I think.
    C is the flat sixth or sharp fifth in the key of E, C# is the sixth. An Em6 chord would be E G B C#. For the notes C E G B, the most used place would be in jazz as a CMaj7 chord.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

13. The following members say thank you to Pete Martin for this post:

You are absolutely right, Pete. My apologies for this slip!
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

I don't know what I was thinking. duh Half asleep...

But it could be an Amin add9/C

Quote Originally Posted by lowtone2 View Post
    I don't know what I was thinking. duh Half asleep...

But it could be an Amin add9/C
    edit: OK, now i'm awake for real this time... Am7/C

Here is the C major scale on one sheet and the C major triad on the other, laid out so you can see how one relates to the others.

By the way, "arpeggio" is a fancy word that makes us think this lesson you mention is something different. I just call this exercise you learned what it really is: simply The G major chord."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 5.36.25 PM.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	200170

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 5.37.33 PM.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	200171
    Tim Connell
    Portland, Oregon