Thread: New Mando Suggestions

Default New Mando Suggestions

Hi,
    I have been a lurker for several years and have decided to bite the bullet and purchase a Mando.

I've been a guitar player for around 50 years, took up Dobro several years ago, and am interested in learning Mandolin as well . The music that I prefer to play would be considered Americana style, and would like to find something that would be used in that genre. My goal would be to be able to use it for ornamentation and fills with vocals and not as a lead instrument in a bluegrass setting.

I've come to appreciate the differences in instrument materials and construction and know what makes a guitar sound good (and what doesn't). Fortunately it isn't always price that differentiates a good guitar from a great guitar!

Any suggestions as to where I might want to start my Mando journey? I'd prefer to stay under $2,000.00-$1,500.00 and want something that is articulate, full and expressive.

Thank you,

Keith

2. The following members say thank you to keith7940236 for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Mando Suggestions

You could go a lot of ways, such as a new Eastman 815MD F5 Style in that price range, or a Kentucky KM1000 F5. Both would be excellent quality, imported instruments and serve your purpose well. If you are not as concerned with the scroll and fancy peghead features, most of us would likely recommend a used Collings MT (A5), Pava Satin (A5), or a Flatiron A5 from around 200-2001. Those last three are instruments that are pro-level sound and quality. These three US-built mandolins would serve you as long as you were happy to play them. My personal preferences would be the Collings MT or Pava Satin, both in A-style mandolin versions due to the price range you are wanting to stay within. I am sure many others will have good recommendations for you. Best of luck, from one old guitar player to another.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    You could go a lot of ways, such as a new Eastman 815MD F5 Style in that price range, or a Kentucky KM1000 F5. Both would be excellent quality, imported instruments and serve your purpose well. If you are not as concerned with the scroll and fancy peghead features, most of us would likely recommend a used Collings MT (A5), Pava Satin (A5), or a Flatiron A5 from around 200-2001. Those last three are instruments that are pro-level sound and quality. These three US-built mandolins would serve you as long as you were happy to play them. My personal preferences would be the Collings MT or Pava Satin, both in A-style mandolin versions due to the price range you are wanting to stay within. I am sure many others will have good recommendations for you. Best of luck, from one old guitar player to another.
    Thanks for the advice! Especially from a fellow old guitar player!! (Old is the operative word here)

5. The following members say thank you to keith7940236 for this post:

At that price point, you're right on the cusp of the next tier up where things start to get really good. I'd suggest considering a used instrument like a Northfield Model M, one might pop up in the classifieds in your ballpark price range. Also those mentioned by lflngpicker would be fantastic, although one of those hitting 2k even used would be a real bargain.

7. The following members say thank you to bradeasley for this post:

You might want to consider something like this.....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/177040#177040

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

That’s a great suggestion, Charley!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

11. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    You might want to consider something like this.....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/177040#177040

NFI
    Boy, that one is a beauty! Thanks for the suggestion!