Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Astroturf Noise

Default Re: Astroturf Noise

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Just to be clear, I don't post their videos here to poke fun at what they're doing. There are people reading this and sometimes posting--in this thread--that do have an appreciation for their work. The need to poke fun at anyone's music or their choice of what they want to play is... unnecessary.
    I'm sure these musicians are thick skinned or they wouldn't be doing what they're doing. Going against the norm is always going to irritate some people, and it's always going to happen or art would never progress.

At any rate, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts they would probably appreciate someone poking fun if it was clever and funny.

I had some friends in a free-form band years ago. They played an open mic night at our local pub and got booed off the stage. They thought it was funny.

It's a dynamic that everyone in avant music is accustomed to - we all share the same story of others' (friends, family, spouses...) lack of understanding and typical derision of our interest. It builds a strong community among us.

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    It's a dynamic that everyone in avant music is accustomed to - we all share the same story of others' (friends, family, spouses...) lack of understanding and typical derision of our interest. It builds a strong community among us.
    Not any different from any other niche group in any pastime. Shows the variability of water.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I don't know how I missed this thread before, but THANK YOU to catmandu2 for turning my ears in this direction. Awesome stuff!
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

Hey, this is Sam from Astroturf Noise -- just stumbling on this thread now! I'm enjoying the spirited discussion of our music and experimental music generally

Thanks to those who had nice things to say about our music! And of course, all good if it's not for you!

We actually just put out a new album for anyone who's interested. Features some nice guest appearances from Susan Alcorn (who you may know from her pedal steel magic) and Stash Wyslouch (who you may know from his avant-bluegrass Stash Band or playing with Jacob Jolliff). Full album on bandcamp or Spotify https://open.spotify.com/album/3apnk...RIaneaU0MFmw8Q

Here's the first "single" from it. We had some fun with the green screen on this one:

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SamDayyy For This Useful Post:

Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Astro Turf Cacophany would be a more fitting name IMHO

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

As someone who still has LPs from Captain Beefheart, The Residents, Snakefinger, and MX-80 Sound in my collection (although they don’t get played often anymore) this doesn’t sound too out there. But I’m still not buying it.
    Silverangel Econo A #438 (“Swazi”)
    Schnoor Silver Bell Style 5 Tenor
    Schnoor 5-string open back
    Martin OM-21
    1950 Epiphone Devon
    Emmons GS-10
    More electrics than you can shake a stick at. I have to sell this stuff.

It does not appeal to me but I certainly respect them as musicians. They are another level than I am. My playing is more on a level of a Barney Fife while they are more on the level of Steven Hawkin.

It reminds me of a couple of things though. First when you go into GC and someone picks up an instrument that is out of tune and they have never played an instrument. Secondly something Mortia Addams would play.

Lastly I think of Shakespeare would put it this way “This tragedy better turn into a comedy pretty quick”
    2022 Black A2-z #60
    1996 Summit Artist #99
    2018 Clark GBOM #208

Clips spliced into a piece. I'd rather hear the transitions performed.
    For outside stuff give me Bitches' Brew.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

In several of the live videos the violinist has a music stand with what I assume is sheet music on it - though that's not necessarily the case. I'm very curious to see what she's got written there. The other two seem fine to either improvise or play from memory or according to the concept in play for the pieces.

PS: Yoko has been suggested, in Posts 47 & 49. But it seems their sound is already complete, and ready to go.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Astroturf Cacophany is a pretty good name too! Though we'd lose the rhyme with "Bluegrass Boys"

Yes, our violinist Sana often uses sheet music when we play. Though there is certainly a lot of improvisation in the music, there are actually a lot of written out sections too, believe it or not!

And haha, yes, would love a collaboration with Yoko. Give a shout if anyone has her number!

For those wondering about my mandolin, you've indeed correctly guessed it! It's a Weber Bitterroot Custom from 2006. Quite battered and with some parts glued back together, but still going strong! I play it through a pedalboard that includes things like the Digitech Whammy, Meris Ottobit Jr., Red Panda Particle, EHX Memory Boy, Boss Overdrive, sometimes other things

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SamDayyy For This Useful Post:

Cool Sam, I heard your new stuff a few weeks ago on the air (Bill Kautz KBGA, Missoula) - the piece with Susan, 'Brack Water Waltz' (note to listeners - you may find more affinity with this more accessible piece). I've been listening to Susan quite a bit with Mary Halvorson - great collaboration with you all!

I'm 72 years old. I'm reminded a whole lot of my younger days when we had Frank Zappa, Ravi Shankar and a few others hit the music scene. In many cases it wasn't melodic and my parents didn't dig it at all but I liked it. As I got older and wiser I realized how much other people put into their music. I wasn't a Queen fan but if you can listen to Bohemian Rhapsody and not realize how musical that song is then I'm pretty sure you are not going to be able to see how musical this is. I may never attempt to cover one of their songs but they apparently are into it and that is all that matters. I have two dear friends, pianist Kathleen Supove and her husband composer Randy Woolf that have been playing and composing music that isn't in my genre wheelhouse but they've been making a living all these years doing it so I'll give them their due. It may be outside our comfort zone and it sure ain't Bluegrass but hell, Monroe didn't like the way Elvis played Blue Moon of Kentucky but he did learn to appreciate the royalty checks. I wish SamDayyy and Astroturf Noise all the best.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SamDayyy View Post
    Astroturf Cacophany is a pretty good name too! Though we'd lose the rhyme with "Bluegrass Boys"

Yes, our violinist Sana often uses sheet music when we play. Though there is certainly a lot of improvisation in the music, there are actually a lot of written out sections too, believe it or not!

And haha, yes, would love a collaboration with Yoko. Give a shout if anyone has her number!

For those wondering about my mandolin, you've indeed correctly guessed it! It's a Weber Bitterroot Custom from 2006. Quite battered and with some parts glued back together, but still going strong! I play it through a pedalboard that includes things like the Digitech Whammy, Meris Ottobit Jr., Red Panda Particle, EHX Memory Boy, Boss Overdrive, sometimes other things
    "Memory Boy" and "Some Times Other Things" would make good band names.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

19. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

FWIW, The Residents just played the Hollywood theater here in Vancouver BC. I walked past their (normal looking) tour bus on my way to our regular contra dance. https://www.hollywoodtheatre.ca/events/the-residents

21. The following members say thank you to mandocello8 for this post:

Louis Armstrong didn't understand bebop, he called it "Chinese music." The beat goes on...
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

23. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Kenny 

Wow, had no idea we were getting spins in Montana, cool! Agreed about Susan -- such a unique voice on her instrument. Total treat collaborating with her!

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    Louis Armstrong didn't understand bebop, he called it "Chinese music." The beat goes on...
    I heard it as "I don't want none of that Chinese music in my band", and attributed to Cab Calloway, and specifically in reference to Dizzy Gillespie. Anyhow, Calloway did fire Gillespie due to "musical differences" as they say. Although Diz slightly stabbing him that one time probably didn't help matters.

Blog Entries

The claymation video and the music reminds me a bit of the brilliant Pee-Wess's playhouse and the music Mark Mothersbaugh made for it.

Jamie

EDIT TO ADD: It gives a distinct Resident vibe as well. Kinda cool!
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

27. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

In several of the live videos the violinist has a music stand with what I assume is sheet music on it - though that's not necessarily the case. I'm very curious to see what she's got written there. The other two seem fine to either improvise or play from memory or according to the concept in play for the pieces.
    Maybe it's somethng like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDQBach.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	271.8 KB 
ID:	206665

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Orange Blossom Special they play straight-up, so she probably has the dots and chords for the tune on the stand. Whereas bluegrassers have a steam locomotive and make station stops to listen for animal noises, astroturf ride a maglev with station stops at noisy music club in New York City, and they get buzzed by quadrocopters instead of honey bees. Love their version.

Quote Originally Posted by mandocello8 View Post
    Orange Blossom Special they play straight-up, so she probably has the dots and chords for the tune on the stand. Whereas bluegrassers have a steam locomotive and make station stops to listen for animal noises, astroturf ride a maglev with station stops at noisy music club in New York City, and they get buzzed by quadrocopters instead of honey bees. Love their version.
    Haha, colorful metaphor! Thanks

Blog Entries

The range of taste is music and art is gigantic.

It is hard sometimes, when confronted with something way out of my norm, to shake off the feeling that I am being had, that the artists are making fun of me. In most cases it isn't true, actually its hardly ever true, but I have at least clearly identified the feeling I have to over come to dig deeper and figure out the merits of what I am experiencing. Or is it a generational thing. Or is a geographical thing. Or something.

So no, they aren't making fun of me, there is no reason for me to react to the feeling.

I have recently had that experience with a movie. I really didn't like it, but I was watching with friends who loved it, really loved it, so I wasn't free to turn it off or turn away. And then, the darn movie won seven Oscars!

Luckily art doesn't destroy art, music doesn't destroy music, and movies don't destroy movies. I can get up tomorrow and play "The Cat Kittled in Jamie's Wig" on my mandolin and then watch Rio Lobo .
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

The gentler side of things:

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SamDayyy For This Useful Post: