Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gibson finally fixed their fretboards

Default Re: Gibson finally fixed their fretboards

I said hawksbill but I think I meant eaglebeak.
    Here's one I'm familiar with. After studying this subject for years one thing I've noticed about good looking scrolls is that the opening doesn't get progressively smaller, it stays nearly a uniform spacing right up until the two binding pieces merge. In this case if only they had removed just a sliver of wood from where the tight bend at the beak takes place back to just above where the strap is so the binding made progressively smaller circle instead of flattening and then making the quick bend it would look perfect.
    Having fitted my share of binding I can attest that the binding wants to flow in a nice circle. You have to force it to do something that dramatic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SB.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	197062  

2. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

Let's agree these are subtleties and would not be a "deal breaker" for most people, IMHO. Just nicer looking.

Kind of like saying "what is an attractive person?" In general we could all agree, but there is quite a wide range reflecting many factors.

I think of the Monteleone Grand Artist scroll as a "love it or hate it" scroll. Obviously, not trying to be an exact Loar copy, but merely influenced by the Loar design.

I'd love to see Gibson do well and I've posted examples when they did it right like Sierra Hulls MM or one particular Doyle Lawson that looked great. I'm encouraging them to head it that direction.
    But I also can't accept "it doesn't matter" when your talking 5 figure instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Look at how the frets line up with the florida cutouts on the first and second pictures in the original post. In the first picture, they don't. In the second picture, they do. On Lloyd Loar mandolins, they do.
    Well, Don, I 'preciate the thread. Maybe if it had come a week earlier...
    I'll have to just think of you every time I see my un-registered fret-scallop error. Thanks man.

No, really. This is important stuff to those that are deep into the esoteric historical item.

I have to admit, the fret thing is pretty far in the weeds even for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    In the second photo, the frets extend the lines of the bottom of the 2 cutouts across the fretboard in a pleasing way. In the first photo, the frets seem randomly placed.
    Ok... Not to pick nits here but since the whole thread seems to be running in that direction...

The frets are placed correctly when the intonation is right. The variable here that makes the look aesthetically pleasing (or not) is the shape of the Florida Gulf Coast.
    Pensacola to Apalachicola and on down to Cedar Key. Those are the points that need to be placed correctly in order to make it all come together.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

8. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    I have to admit, the fret thing is pretty far in the weeds even for me.
    Yeah, but. Once you see it you can't un-see it.

Quote Originally Posted by eightmoremiles View Post
    On the Loar F-5s the 'florida' has a subtle convexity toward the bass (west coast) side. It is not parallel to the treble (east coast). I am not sure how this came about, but it is obvious if you look for it.
    I have noticed that and decided it was more of a flare to match the A and E strings path...
    Where's Don on this item?

I'm no expert. Here's a 24 Loar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	103627.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	197064
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

This is the one time I tried to make a replica. It's a long story why it ended up here and not on the instrument, but it looks like I failed the test.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0829.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	479.0 KB 
ID:	197065  

Teacher, repair person

Gibson motto from c. 1941: "Only A Gibson is Good Enough."
    Response in a trade magazine ad from Epiphone, their then independent competitor: "When good enough isn't good enough."
    A quip made a few years back by a well-known retired professional: "If it's a Gibson, it'll have to do."

Sometimes they get 'em right, sometimes they don't. This is nothing new-- it's been like that throughout their history. I hear that Dave Harvey is making good instruments these days, but he's not making many.