Thread: Jean-Luc on Mandolin

Default Jean-Luc on Mandolin

Hello friends of the mandolin.
    It's been a few months since I declared my love for the mandolin on this forum. It must be said that I was very busy. As specified in the commentary on the video I am suggesting to you, the dream of playing "Parisienne Walkways" does not date from yesterday.
    But on the guitar, the level was really too high to consider anything.
    Fortunately, my carbon mandolin was there. (homemade and that you already know)
    As you will see, I am still left handed and still play in a right handed string configuration.
    At 74, it's not now that that will change!
    As every time, I specify to the friends of Mandolin Café, that my musical approach is full of great modesty, humility and a lot of self-mockery.
    A detail: I live in Lyon in France and this explains that the images were shot there.
    This also explains the subtitle given to this clip: "Lyonnaise Walkways"
    I know that your opinion will be critical and objective and it is precisely for this reason that I love you ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYMAuz3qldc
    Last edited by carbonpiou; Oct-21-2021 at 10:34pm. Reason: change thread
    Jean-Luc
    LuluMando

Default Re: Gary Moore on Mandolin

So it's not actually Gary Moore on mandolin then.

Default Re: Gary Moore on Mandolin

Hello lowtone 2 !
    Alas no ... It's not Gary Moore who plays the mandolin, but Jean-Luc who plays Parisienne Walkways!
    Pity....
    To avoid confusion, I will immediately change the title of my post.
    Jean-Luc
    LuluMando

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Jean-Luc on Mandolin

The tune was written by Gary Moore, but played by Jean-Luc. Who does a very nice job of it, also the recording, mise en scene, and filming.

Here's a live version by Gary Moore, of whom I'd been unaware. A bit different. But I can see why Jean-Luc finds it fascinating. He was a member of Thin Lizzy. By the way, his guitar is Peter Green's 1959 Les Paul, on which was played ... so many exquisite notes during Fleetwood Mac's first phase.

Last edited by journeybear; Oct-22-2021 at 8:00am. Reason: further research
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

5. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Thank you, Journeybear for this cool answer.
    Thank you, also, for administrator for changing original thread of my publication. It's better, now !

7. The following members say thank you to carbonpiou for this post:

In addition to your excellent explanations, Journeybear, you should also know that Gary Moore is left-handed. He started playing the guitar with his left hand, very naturally.
    But, around the age of 14 or 15, I believe, a completely oblivious teacher forced him to play in a right-handed configuration.
    An interview with Gary Moore circulates on the Internet (I unfortunately did not find to put the link here) where the guitarist explains the trauma that this generated and that his future addictions certainly find an explanation in this fact.
    The journalist then asks Gary, the influence of this conflict in his playing. The guitarist replied that if he had continued to play with the left hand, he would certainly play 10 times better today.
    As you can see from my video, I am left handed. I was also, in my childhood, coerced and forced to do a lot of things with the right hand. As for the music (mandolin, guitar, violin, banjo, bouzouki, etc.) I have not listened to anyone and I continue to play as nature gave me: with my left hand.
    These details explain my great admiration and respect for Gary Moore.
    Jean-Luc
    LuluMando

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

very nice, Jean-Luc
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Hello, Bill !
    Glad to meet you on this great forum. I had given up my presence here a bit because things had been a bit complicated for me and the music was taking a back seat. But I am coming back strong and in good shape.
    How's the bluegrass?
    Jean-Luc
    LuluMando