Thread: how to change Thread

Default how to change Thread

Hello
    I created a post, but I would like to change the original title that appears in the threads list. I changed the title of my post with the "edit" function, but it's still the original title that appears on the threads list. How to do ?
    Thank you !
    Jean-Luc
    LuluMando

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: how to change Thread

Go back to the original post. Go to "Advanced." You should be able to change the title there. But you must be quick. I think you only have three hours. After that, you'll have to ask an admin. Bon chance!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I changed it for you.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

4. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Blog Entries

Well, sort of. I mean, thanks, Mike. But that fix applies if someone clicks on "Reply to Thread, not to Post #2 or Post #3, which still have the old, erroneous title. I humbly suggest changing those posts' titles too, to avoid confusion, for consistency's sake. Thank you.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

OK, look at the title of the thread for the original message. It's changed. Any new replies will be the new title. Could I change the rest? Sure. Am I going to? No. That is the way the software works. I'm really not too concerned with someone searching for one of the replies that is there. Generally they get the thread because that's what they are looking for.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

7. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Blog Entries

Changing the title of the opening post only impacts the first post and original title. From that point forward if someone replies to your now changed post it'll reflect in the list as such. But if they reply to another post within the thread that still has the original title then it'll take on that configuration. So it depends on who is replying if they're quoting a different post that the titles hasn't been edited. Make sense?

To edit every post to reflect your desired changes we'd need to go in and manually edit every single post which then puts a marker on that we've edited which can appear to be us meddling with user posts... which is why we won't do that.

Best to get it right first time. We can change only opening post titles long after they're made without leaving that marker that we've edited the post.

9. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks for that detailed explanation. I didn't know all that, and now I do, so I'll refrain from suggesting that in the future. Also thanks, Mike, for changing the title of the OP. I only suggested changing the others because there were only two of them, but I didn't understand the related issues. I have since posted to that thread, using the correct title, and Jean-Luc did, too, in response to my post, so it seems all is well and in order, and will continue to be so. Thanks again for all you do around here to keep this mighty engine with its many parts humming so smoothly. You do such a fine job that it appears effortlessly achieved and your efforts are thus overlooked, when of course it is not. Thanks!