Thread: ISO Luthier to carve and install new top

Default ISO Luthier to carve and install new top

Howdy folks-
    My beloved J. Bovier took a major hit this week - it apparently blends into the brown leather couch very well because it was sat upon, and the top exploded. I've emailed a few places, but would love if anyone has any recommendations, or if you think I should just cut my losses, bury it in a shallow grave, and move on...Thanks in advance for any referrals or encouragement. I've been going through all the stages of grief... I am located in Washington state...east of Seattle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1152.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	593.3 KB 
ID:	196998

Default Re: ISO Luthier to carve and install new top

Man, sorry to hear that. I know it must hurt, it is painful for me to look at.

I don't have any suggestions for you, other than to perhaps let us know where you live in case there might be local resources available.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

3. The following members say thank you to Austin Bob for this post:

Slightly less valuable mandolin but a recent question regarding a re-top -
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...o-re-top-an-F5

Unless you are willing to buy a CNC top and do it yourself or find someone wanting experience in instrument repair and enough skill to attempt a reasonable outcome I would cut your losses. You can get a new Eastman or Kentucky for the less than the price to fix this by an experienced luthier. I recently got a good deal on a Kentucky KM-750? series mandolin. I have had quite a few Kentucky mandolins and this one is surprisingly good, a great value.

5. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

Thanks- just updated the post

Sorry that happened. It's hard to imagine a more direct hit.

8. The following members say thank you to Jonathan Ward for this post:

"...cut my losses, bury it in a shallow grave, and move on..."
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

10. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bababooey View Post
    Howdy folks-
    My beloved J. Bovier took a major hit this week - it apparently blends into the brown leather couch very well because it was sat upon, and the top exploded. I've emailed a few places, but would love if anyone has any recommendations, or if you think I should just cut my losses, bury it in a shallow grave, and move on...Thanks in advance for any referrals or encouragement. I've been going through all the stages of grief... I am located in Washington state...east of Seattle.
    Sorry to see this. If it were me, I'd definitely replace it ASAP so I have something nice to play again. But also...

At this point, you have nothing to lose.

If it were me, I'd learn from it. Maybe make it a project -- if I have the time and a little money, I'd put together a hide glue kit, get out my steamer, my hair drier and palate knife, and carefully take the rest of the top off, and then see if I can put this puzzle back together. Even if it never makes music again, at least after trying to glue all the pieces back together, I would know very well how to use hide glue.

I know of at least one mandolin that was very painstakingly resurrected after suffering a similar fate. A very special mandolin, yes, but it proved it could be done. That doesn't mean I could also do it, but at least I can learn from trying.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

12. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    Sorry to see this. If it were me, I'd definitely replace it ASAP so I have something nice to play again. But also...

At this point, you have nothing to lose.

If it were me, I'd learn from it. Maybe make it a project -- if I have the time and a little money, I'd put together a hide glue kit, get out my steamer, my hair drier and palate knife, and carefully take the rest of the top off, and then see if I can put this puzzle back together. Even if it never makes music again, at least after trying to glue all the pieces back together, I would know very well how to use hide glue.

I know of at least one mandolin that was very painstakingly resurrected after suffering a similar fate. A very special mandolin, yes, but it proved it could be done. That doesn't mean I could also do it, but at least I can learn from trying.
    I totally agree. May not be worth the cost having a good luthier spend her time on, but I would consider buying a top from International Violin, Luthier's Mercantile, Stew Mac, etc. and try my hand at voicing, fitting and finishing it.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobart For This Useful Post:

Unless you want to play mandolin repair-person yourself, at the price point of your JBovier, I'd say go hunt another mandolin.

Perhaps homeowner's insurance might offer you some compensation –- if you have listed your musical instrument(s) among your household property. Not an insurance expert myself, but might be worth contacting your agent. One of my singing partners got her Martin M-36 restored by Martin (no warranty, she wasn't the original owner), partially funded by her insurance, after a car accident.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

16. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

* Update * The maker, Jeff Cowherd, has graciously offered me substantial credit for the parts for the broken mando, against a new instrument. Very very difficult trigger to pull, but ultimately I'll never be happy with anything less, and it's been my desk-side companion for long enough that it's worth it to replace for my own sanity and happiness! YOLO!! Thanks for all the feedback. Cheers- ~Hugh

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bababooey For This Useful Post:

Playing on the porch

I agree it is worth checking with your insurance company. In my case, I add a little insurance for all of my instruments that does cover accidental damage, up to the cost of a new instrument. It also covers loss or damage away from the house.

Good luck. I do understand this is difficult.
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

20. The following members say thank you to GMorgan for this post: