Thread: Nother newbie

Default Nother newbie

Hello, all. I want to thank you in advance because you’re probably going to despise me soon. I’m that guy that just bought a mandola from goodwill and knows nothing. I played records and tapes but that’s as musical as I’ve gotten. It’s a Tanara and it came with a hard case, looks from the pictures to be in good shape, has no bridge,though. I ordered a bouzouki bridge and I’m going to learn to play mandola! Thanx in advance for answering questions. Jay

Default Re: Nother newbie

Hi Jay, lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here. Do a search first with whatever topic you have a question on, is my suggestion. If nothing (much ) comes up, ask away, and enjoy the adventure!

Sounds like you'll be doing some setup work. I would contact Rob Meldrum (in fact, I did earlier this week) and get his mandolin setup e-book (free). I read through it yesterday. It would probably be useful when you install that new bridge on your mandola.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...do-it-yourself!

Welcome to the forum Cap!
    Eastman 515 Mando
    Gibson J-30 Guitar
    RK-80 Banjo

Welcome, Capt. First, what you have is a mandolin! Goodwill often has no idea what something is; this one was labelled ‘mandola, bouzouki’ if it’s the one I just looked up. I’ve even bought mandolins that are called lutes and ‘handmade ukelele’. Sometimes even the measurements are really wrong, but if yours is 27” it’s a mandolin. The vibrating part of the strings, from the small end of the fretboard to the bridge should be about 14”. You don’t have a bridge, though. A bouzouki bridge might be adaptable, if it’s adjustable. Mandolas are bigger, and uncommon.
    This is good.
    . It is likely a recent, Asian import of variable quality, but if it can be set up, you can learn on it.
    So when you get to tuning it, it should be GDAE, unless somebody has messed with the strings. You probably need to get a $10 electronic tuner.
    Then look up things on this site.
    Have fun!
    Last edited by Richard500; Oct-22-2021 at 6:34pm. Reason: Add

Welcome to our wild, wacky world. Be prepared for a lot of fun, sore fingers, frustration and woodshedding to learn new tunes. Remember, this is supposed to be fun.

7. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

As a forever-newbie, I can assure you that Mando Cafe is a good forum for all levels. No question is too basic.

Your mandola project sounds like fun. Keep us posted on your progress.

And remember: If there's no photo, the instrument doesn't exist! (Hint, hint.)

Welcome!
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Blog Entries

From an old Newbie: Welcome, Capthavoc!
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Thanx Richard. Mandola, Mandolin at this point they are the same to me. If I ever learn to play and learn the differences I’ll probably be a lot older!

Thanx Honkety! Will do

- - - Updated - - -

Charlie, as soon as I get it I’ll post pictures!