Thread: Weber Mandolins?

2TonCommon
    The Land of Copious and Unrelenting Gnats

Default Weber Mandolins?

Hello everybody.
    Recently (within the last week or so) I've spoken with several very reputable and well-known here on the Cafe mandolin retailers about the current state of pandemic related mandolin availability. Interestingly, I was informed that Weber has virtually stopped making new mandolins to focus more on building guitars, ie; Breedlove etc. It was explained to me that mandolins are far less in demand and far more time consuming to build and, subsequently, are not as profitable to make as the guitars - which seems to make sense.
    Naturally I was somewhat taken aback and started wondering, if this was indeed the case, would this be an auspicious time to snag a new Weber in the event they become a thing of the past. Has anyone else heard any rumblings concerning the current state of new Weber mando's? I've got my eye on an A style Yellowstone (2018 model, but new).
    Thanks.
    "Of all the harm that ere' I've done,
    Alas, it was to none but me."

Goodnight and Joy be to you all!

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Weber Mandolins?

Your information is correct.

There was an article posted on May 22, 2021 containing a statement from Weber's parent company, Two Old Hippies. They have indeed discontinued mandolin production and transferred their building staff to TOH's guitar departments.

Here's a link to the article: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/co...-Manufacturing

Officially, the pause in mandolin production is temporary, but no date has been given for a production re-start. When or if they start building mandolins again will remain to be seen. Their website is still on-line, but their most recent blog update was made before the production halt was announced.

If you like the 2018 Yellowstone A, you might want to grab it. After the remaining new Webers sell out, your choices for a new US mandolin will be limited to what Collings, Gibson, and the independent small shop builders are producing, until we hear otherwise.
    Last edited by rcc56; Oct-24-2021 at 4:57pm.

3. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

"and the independent small shop builders are producing, until we hear otherwise."

Which will include the man himself, Bruce Weber! Soon, that is! Bruce has said he will return to building once he has his new digs fully set up. In the meantime check out their web site and know that Bruce currently does general luthier work.

https://www.montanalutherie.com

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

If it checks out buy it .

Resident Hack

+1 on small builders. Before I bought, I was looking at the Yellowstone. Played one and loved it! I would be super-pleased to have that one right now, no looking back.
    That being said, I wouldn't trade my Kelley for a comparably (or not comparably) priced Weber at all.

There's so many good builders making fine mandolins here today.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

Webers are so nice. They really do have a unique voice that you cant get anywhere else. I miss the yellowstone i had and wont consider my mandolin collection complete until i get another Weber.
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

8. The following members say thank you to LongBlackVeil for this post:

2TonCommon
    The Land of Copious and Unrelenting Gnats

Just a note - I gave REVERB a quick look this morning under Acoustic Guitars between the 2000 and 3000 price range. Sure enough, there was an abundance of Breedlove guitars; more in fact than the three titans (G, M and T). I'll be damned.
    "Of all the harm that ere' I've done,
    Alas, it was to none but me."

Goodnight and Joy be to you all!

This is slightly off topic, but I thought I would mention it anyway. It relates to "Two Old Hippies" who now own Weber. I purchased a nice guitar about 10 years ago on "closeout" at a Guitar Center store in Dallas. It was branded "Great Divide", which I had never heard of. I think full retail was around $600, and I paid $200. I researched the brand and found out it was made by the "Two Old Hippies" somewhere off shore (never could find out exactly where). I think they only made this brand for a couple of years. They went on to acquire Bedell and Breedlove later on.

This is a really good guitar. Materials and workmanship are top notch. I liked it when I tried it out in the store (obviously), and I like it even more now. It is a keeper, for sure. I use it when I don't want to expose my Martin to adverse conditions, and when travelling. At that time my research showed that the "Two Old Hippies" were very committed to quality, and making solid instruments. It looks like they have continued this commitment with the acquisition of Weber. I guess you could say I am a fan.
    Richard

Eastman 305
    Gibson A1 (1919)
    Martin D16 guitar
    Great Divide Guitar (Two-Old-Hippies)
    OME 11" banjo (1973)
    Pisgah 12" banjo