Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with Gatti mandolins?

Default Any experience with Gatti mandolins?

Hi folks,
    I’ve noticed the beautiful looking mandolins made by Italian maker Massimo Gatti showing up in the classifieds from time to time. Anyone own one? Do they sound and play as good as they look in the photos? His ads include a compelling backstory, and prices seem reasonable.

I had been in touch with Mr. Gatti a while back asking if he’d be interested in making an F4, oval hole style, but to his credit he declined, saying he only had experience with F5 architecture. I’m not looking for an F5, yet every time one of his new ones shows up my MAS starts itchin’…

Thanks,
    Michael

Adrian Minarovic

Default Re: Any experience with Gatti mandolins?

The Gatti mandolins were not built by Massimo but outsourced. Actual buider was Eduard Kristufek from Czech Republic who is still making mandolins under his own name or brand "Krishot". His construction and models changed over the years with changes in archings, tonebars vs x bracing and lastly his longer scale mandolins (I prefer his late 90's production of traditional tone bar models), but his mandolins always sounded great. I heard he's going back to more traditional specs again these days...
    Adrian

3. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

mjbee 

Hello Adrian I don’t know who you are and I never meet you in my life. Why you wrote some untrue things about my work? Eda Kristufek is a good friend of mine and never done my Gatti mandolins. In 2017 he made a black top mandolin and mandola and asked me if he could do a Massimo Gatti model. I said yes.
    The mandolin were made with his logo. I started to make my mandolin in 2018 under the name of MG.
    Before write something totally untrue please verify that what you wrote is true. In this way you damage my reputation and my work.
    Massimo Gatti

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Massimo For This Useful Post:

Adrian Minarovic

Dear Massimo,
    welcome to the cafe! I'm not aware of any utrue words about YOUR work. I'm sorry if my words came through as negative to your work. Perhaps the word "outsourced" is understood as negative but in reality it means, just "made for". I was only writing about the Gatti mandolins that Mr. Kristufek made (and you admitted you allowed him to make the Gatti model) and he is one of the finest makers around here and I often praised his work (I'd played one of his mandolins for nearly 20 years). He had the Gatti model on his webpage (his new webpage doesn't contain that) described as Gatti model among his other models.
    From the OP I guessed he was asking about one of those mandolins as he didn't post a direct link or picture to the instrument in question, and your own making is not known fact to me nor to internet search engines. You should probably let folks know more about your own work, otherwise the Krishot-Gatti connection will come first in internet searches for a long time.
    Good luck in your making! Have a nice day.
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo;[URL="tel:1869044"
    1869044[/URL]]
    From the OP I guessed he was asking about one of those mandolins as he didn't post a direct link or picture to the instrument in question.
    For the record, I was clearly inquiring about the Gatti instruments IN THE (mandolin cafe) CLASSIFIEDS. Mr Gatti’s photogenic instruments have been posted there quite frequently of late. Mr. Gatti, I’m pleased to see your new creations posted, and will perhaps own one some day.

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by mjbee View Post
    For the record, I was clearly inquiring about the Gatti instruments IN THE (mandolin cafe) CLASSIFIEDS.
    Wihtout direct link you'll have hard time locating older ads (after they expire) to identify exactly what instruments you were asking about. I'm not sure if I searched for the ads back when I made my first post or not but never intended to harm anyone. I'm sorry for any confusion. I only tried to be helpful as I only knew of the Gatti model on Krishot's website before.
    Just today I learned there are also real Massimo Gatti made instruments after finding his new recent ad.
    Adrian

Blog Entries

Current ad placed here as a screen shot for future reference. We're in possession of email from Eda Kristufek confirming this unfortunate bit of misinformation regarding Mr. Gatti's creations. He may be trying to get an account to post in person but is not a fan of technology so may not happen. Mr. Gatti's mandolins have been appearing routinely in the Classifieds for a number of years now.

Click image to see actual sized ad.

Gatti Mandolins

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

I can vouch for Massimo. He is an honest hardworking guy who knows his mandolins. I have never seen or heard one of his creations. I would like to as I have friends back in Australia who are looking for decent sounding F5 mandolins. Maybe I will get in contact with Massimo via his advertisement and start up a separate discussion.
    Nic Gellie

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick Gellie For This Useful Post:

As far as I know, both Massimo and Adrian are good luthiers based in Europe, making Gibson-style mandolins.

Let's hope they continue to get all the encouragement from players they need to keep going.
    Bren

Just wanted to add, slightly tardy, that I just today received my new Gatti F5. The whole process was a pleasure, and Massimo was excellent to work with. He has a definite thing he's going for, which fit with what I was seeking. He answered my questions promptly, allowed some customizations, and did what he said he would, when he said he'd do it. And, it's a lot of mandolin for the money.

I got interested in his instruments from seeing them in the classifieds and hearing Massimo's YouTubes, but I almost went another route after reading post #2 when doing research. Luckily Mr. Kristufek responded rapidly to my email & confirmed that he had made two personal instruments for Massimo, but was never contracted for work.

It's unfortunate that that's how the post read to me, and it seems like to others as well.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bbcee For This Useful Post:

A used one just showed up in the classifieds...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/189344#189344

That seems to be a good deal on a handmade instrument.

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

And it looks like somebody pulled the trigger on it.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Happy customer here - I bought a mandolin from Massimo Gatti this April. He was very nice through the whole process and the mandolin is a great instrument. Easy to play with a rich, full tone. Looks great too! I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend his instruments to anyone.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pobe For This Useful Post:

I just realised that was my first post here, I’ve been lurking for a few years, more into reading than posting. If anyone thinks my post seems sketchy because of this I’d be happy to elaborate.

I have Gatti #15 that I purchased from Massimo. He made it with an Italian spruce top and x bracing. It’s a very responsive mandolin. My 12 year old son plays it all of the time and when we’re jamming I have to ask him not to chop so loud!! It’s louder than my singing and I’m not a soft singer! I have some Gibson’s, a Gilchrist Model 5, a Monteleone Grand Artist and a Gatti. I can honestly say that in my opinion Massimo’s mandolins can’t be beat for the price.

I saw one of his ads on the Cafe last year and figured a hand made, x braced, varnish finish mandolin was certainly worth his asking price so I ordered one and I’m happy with it. It sounded great when I received it but it’s gotten even better with time and playing. No doubt it’ll get even better!!

I will be ordering another instrument from him, maybe I can talk him into building a Mandola!

Cody Shuler
    https://pinemountainrailroadband.com/cody-case-co

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CodyCaseCo For This Useful Post:

Massimo Gatti's mandolin are excellent and unbeatable at the price. I own Gibson mandolins and others (7 total) and spend a lot of my time playing my black faced Gatti F5. He is easy to deal with and keeps his promises. "Krishot" had a model named Gatti but Gatti mandolins are made by Massimo Gatti, a wonderful mandolin player and excellent luthier! Buy one of his mandolins and you will be very pleased. Massimo Gatti keep up the great work! Love my Gatti blackface F5!

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bumpy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

He's just updated his Instagram with photos of his mandolins.

26. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

I have known Massimo for thirty years, he was my mandolin teacher in the 90s. I wanted to buy a new mandolin and, when I learned that for some years he had started to make it with some regularity, I contacted him for infos. Not to dwell too much, I finally bought an F5. Excellent instrument and great value for money. It has nothing to envy to mandolins of more famous brands. Too bad I can't upload pics. Anyway... very recommended! Greetings from Italy. Corrado.

Thanks Corrado, I have to go to Milan sometimes on business and may try to check him out next time I'm in the area.

All I have from Massimo so far is one of his plaited leather mandolin straps.

Actually, I just looked at the Instagram link above, and first mandolin photo is of yours.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	311922310_2203671859811706_2371349814773232994_n.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	471.2 KB 
ID:	204336
    Bren

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    Thanks Corrado, I have to go to Milan sometimes on business and may try to check him out next time I'm in the area.

All I have from Massimo so far is one of his plaited leather mandolin straps.

Actually, I just looked at the Instagram link above, and first mandolin photo is of yours.

Name:	311922310_2203671859811706_2371349814773232994_n.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	471.2 KB 
ID:	204336
    Yes, this is my mandolin and I'm more and more satisfied of it, day after day. I own two mandolins (I've had others more... "entry level", that I sold before buying this one). The other one is another F5 model, made in France by luthier Simon Bour in 1993. A perfect match with Gatti's mandolin, different sounds but both excellent instruments. I hope you get a chance to contact Massimo during your next trip and close the deal!
    I am also waiting to receive one of his straps.

Name:	1670174272664.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	999.7 KB 
ID:	204625

30. The following members say thank you to Corr@do for this post:

I recently acquired Gatti #26, and wanted to offer a review here.

First of all, I have been in communication with Massimo on and off for about six months, and I have found him to be extremely gracious and friendly—a real pleasure to deal with.

I’ve had the Gatti for about a month now, and the bottom line of my review is that I couldn’t be more pleased.

In the interests of striving to present a balanced perspective, I’ll start with a few nitpicking cons. I am privileged to own two other very fine f-hole* archtop mandolins—a 2010 Nugget and a 2017 Dave Harvey custom Gibson F5—so it’s easy to compare the Gatti to those instruments. I would describe the craftsmanship of both the Nugget and the Gibson as flawless; the Gatti doesn’t quite have that same feeling of flawless craftsmanship, but I couldn’t point to any particularly notable flaws with it (though Massimo did offer me a discount because of imperfections in the top finish). A couple of minor matters do come to my attention: there are a couple of string notches in the nut and saddle that I would say are cut a bit too deep and narrow; the fret wires could be rounded off a bit more along the edges of the fretboard. My biggest “complaint” is that with the cast tailpiece Massimo uses on his standard models, there is no built-in string-dampening to prevent the strings from jangling a bit against the tailpiece. I threaded a bit of leather lace through the strings between the bridge and tailpiece, and that does the trick… easy fix. (Massimo uses a higher-end tailpiece on his deluxe models).

From what I understand, Massimo uses top-quality woods. The figuring on the maple back and neck is certainly beautiful, but it’s the top that ultimately makes the mandolin. I really love the tone of this instrument. I had become interested in the Gatti mandolins when I first ran across them back in late May, but truth be told, in recent months, I had come to assume I wasn’t going to end up with one because I already had two truly excellent instruments. But when Massimo sent me audio samples of his most recent build in mid-November, I simply couldn’t pass it up for the price he’s charging. I would describe the tone as dry, woody, with lots of forward upper midrange projection, but without harshness—just beautiful. For lack of better terms, I would describe it as having what I’ve come to think of as the classic sound of red spruce. The Nugget and Gibson certainly each have tonal elements which the Gatti doesn’t possess, but likewise, the Gatti has qualities which neither of the others bring to the table. I couldn’t be happier to include the Gatti in their company. Not a whole lot of time has passed yet, but I’m finding myself reaching for the Gatti in more and more situations. It's a wonderful instrument!

*technically, the Gatti is an s-hole instrument, but the design is essentially the same as an f-hole.

32. The following members say thank you to Thane Glenn for this post:

I purchased a mandolin from Massimo almost 2 years ago ,number 13. Before I purchased I researched Mr Gatti’s background and music ( mandolin cafe ). I found his music very creative and his tone was alluring I knew this man knew sound Everyone who plays music is searching for a sound Mr Gatti found it! I recently took it to my friend a luthier for over 50 years who said the build was worth 3 times what I paid . Thank you Massimo

I'd love to recommend Massimo with the highest regard for his customer service and craftsmanship and overall extremely high value instrument that he clearly carefully crafted.

I originally reached out to enquire about his Deluxe Crema Model which was so stunning it stopped my mandolin classifieds doom scrolling and MADE ME send a message to him. He clearly was building instruments with attention to detail and love.

I researched him on YouTube and this forum and decided despite my better knowledge to not buy a mandolin I had not felt or heard yet, but im glad I took the chance.

I spent the previous 6 months going to the local shops and playing every higher end mandolin I could get my hands on. I played everything from the higher end imports like Eastman 815's and Northfields to Gibsons and Hinde, Collings...etc

Overall for my budget it felt like the Northfield would be my next logical step up.

Then waltzed in the Gatti #34. There was something about the visual beauty and craftsmanship of the instrument that told me it would would delightful. It is.

The main difference of the standard model and the Deluxe is the finish style he used and the hardware was much higher end.

I asked Massimo to scallop the fretboard and pull 4 of the frets, add a K&k pickup and ebony pickguard (at a very reasonable additional cost.)

The instrument came with a nice gator semi hard shell case and was packed perfectly and arrived in a very timely manner to the US from Italy.

as far as the sound, it sounds every bit as great as any of my favorite mandolins I played from $3,000-$8,000. Action was set up great, perhaps a little low for my heavy hand...which was easy to adjust up a bit.

The instrument has a feel to it that it is made by hand. It's not "perfect" in the the finish but that gives it a lot of character already. I appreciate the attention he spent to keep this instrument feeling alive..no thick lacquers or finishes just a nice oil varnish. Radiused fretboard with X brace similar to Ghilchrist with S holes.

Overall I am more than pleased and feel that I got a very good value for my money to say the least and will happily buy one of his deluxe models in the future.

Which brings me to my only small changes that i plan on making. The hardware is cheaper Chinese hardware than I would like to have on it, which understandably came with a lower price.

The tuning knobs are a bit stiff and slip out of tune a bit. Nothing unmanageable, but something I plan on upgrading sooner than later. The tailpiece I would have to say is my least favorite part of the mandolin, while beautiful, it has a ringing to it that I can hear when amplified or in my IEM's. so I have put a cloth threw the strings near the saddle and fixed it. The post are also super slippery and make string changing a pain, especially if needed to be done quickly live.

But ill throw on a James tailpiece and be good to go!

The finish under the bridge is already showing the bare wood due to the finish being so thin, but I imagine this is inevitable and id rather have the tone that a thick varnish.

Overall the setup was near perfect, there were just a few frets that still had clipping marks on them and were a bit sharp and one or 2 not laying flat all the way. This also is something a file a a few min was able to touch up, so no biggie at all.

Overall if you are in the market for a mandolin in the quality range of other $3-7,000 boutique builders but want to get a great deal that leaves you short of nothing, then hit up Massimo and he will take very good care of you. Overall he could double his prices and be justified in doing so. get one, while you can!

thanks again my friend for a beautiful instrument that has already renewed my passion for this instrument.

you can see a clip here of our band doing a random reggae improv session on our song Ball and Chain. Recorded on a phone so keep that in mind!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRRB-NN8GtY
    (random cussing if that thing bothers you)

if you want to hear more of our band look up Charlie Mellinger Band on Spotify or YouTube!

Thanks again Massimo for a wonderful mandolin I am super proud to play and grow into!

Name:	20230505_182142.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	1,018.4 KB 
ID:	207699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230505_182152.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	207700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230505_120805.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	373.2 KB 
ID:	207701Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230505_182236.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	207702Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230505_182225.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	207703Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230429_133019.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	318.7 KB 
ID:	207704

After months of seeing and reading about Massimo Gatti's mandolins on Mandolin Cafe then doing a little research on YouTube - I had to ask myself, for the price, is it really that good? I have picked up many mandolins in that same price range to immediately and quickly put them down as the sound is not relevant to what I feel is a good mandolin sound. Finally my curiosity got the best of me, eventhough I have never played one (never a good sign) and I took the plunge to buy one with the feeling that it might be too good to be true! What I need to say first is you will never meet another person with better communication skills than Massimo. He was with me the whole way as if I was buying a mandolin ten times the price! Now I have just received my Massimo Gatti Mandolin #37 and I have to tell you that it is better than what I expected! I had Massimo pick out for me what he thought would be a good bluegrass mandolin with a full 'chop' and that is exactly what I received. The mandolin plays great up and down the neck, didn't need a bit of adjusting, I didn't even change the strings and for the price it truly can't be beat! I have a Gilchrist, Ellis, Dudenbostel, Heiden, Ruhland and Altman all in F5's and the Gatti can hang in there! Thank you Massimo - you are a good man and love your band too!

I have number 41. An amazing mandolin. I don't thinknyou could beat the sound for twice the money. Love it! Thanks, Massimo!