Thread: Mandolin for Dummies/Mandolin Exercises for Dummies

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Mandolin for Dummies/Mandolin Exercises for Dummies

Hello!

I just ordered my firsat mandolin - A Kentucky KM-250 from Elderly Instruments.

I also ordered some books from Amazon - First 50 Songs You Should Play On Mandolin by Hal Leonard, and Mandolin From Scratch by Bruce Emery. I have several of Bruce's From Scratch books for other instruments, and I've always found them helpful and informative.

I got the kindle version of Mandolin for Dummies 2nd Ed., and I'm thinking maybe I like it enough to buy the paper version. Had anyone else used that to help them learn mandolin? What about Mandolin Exercises for Dummies?

Any other method books you guys use or recomment to help a new player learn the basics - Chords, strums, chops, arpeggios, etc.?

Thanks!
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

2. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

Default Re: Mandolin for Dummies/Mandolin Exercises for Dummies

I can recommend a couple of good online resources.

Baron Collins-Hill has a great website with all kinds of lessons and tunes at mandolessons.com, and all free.

Pete Martin has some good lessons for the beginner online also.

Yes, I’m making my way through the lessons on mandolessons.com. My mandolin should arrive on Wednesday. I’m sure that will be helpful to the process.

Quote Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
    Hello!

I also ordered some books from Amazon - First 50 Songs You Should Play On Mandolin by Hal Leonard, and Mandolin From Scratch by Bruce Emery. I have several of Bruce's From Scratch books for other instruments, and I've always found them helpful and informative.

I got the kindle version of Mandolin for Dummies 2nd Ed., and I'm thinking maybe I like it enough to buy the paper version. Had anyone else used that to help them learn mandolin? What about Mandolin Exercises for Dummies?

Any other method books you guys use or recomment to help a new player learn the basics - Chords, strums, chops, arpeggios, etc.?

Thanks!
    I've been playing a little over a year and half, and I just got Don Julin's book a while ago. I started using it recently and like it alot. I've got the exercise book, too, but haven't looked at it yet. I have too many books.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    I have too many books.
    I know the affliction. My stack of guitar books is quite impressive.

I'd say, imho, that any mandolin player should have Julin's books as part of their arsenal. Julin's books and Marilyn Mair's are the best mandolin books have been written in years.

Mandolin for Dummies is a complete introduction to the world of the mandolin that is always worth going back to, even if it is to understand something confusing. Exercices for Dummies is much more than exercises on major and minor scales, pentatonic, arpeggios, etc: In a didactic and structured way it teaches "the patterns" that are repeated through the fretboard (the wonder of instruments tuned in fifths) and the fingers that are required for this. All accompanied by audio files.
    Music washes away from the soul the dust of every-day life. Auerbach.
    The rejection of 'the others' is a tragedy of the human being; If it comes from emigrants, an added horror!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jairo Ramos For This Useful Post:

"the wonder of instruments tuned in fifths"

Yes, coming from the "tuned in 4th except where it isn't" world of guitars, I'm really starting to appreciate the mandolin's "learn this shape, and that shape is the same always, everywhere" nature.

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Good thread for those of us who are just starting out. In learning guitar I have utilized books much more than online resources, for some reason I just connect with books, even more than videos.

The only mandolin book I currently have is Mel Bay's Complete Mandolin method. The name seems a bit misleading since it seems very focused on learning to play melodies from sheet music and doesn't seem to go into chords or other concepts. It's ok, because it contains what I wanted to start with, but for someone who wants to start with chords it wouldn't be useful.

I'm still waiting for Mandolin From Scratch to arrive, but based on Bruce's other works I'm sure it will be a comprehensive introduction to mandolin technique. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it.

I've got Mandolin For Dummies on my kindle, and thus far I'm very impressed with it, enough to strongly consider buying the paper versions of it and the Exercises book.

I've looked into Marilyn Mair's books based on the recommendation in this thread, but I'm hunting for more recommendations before I pull the trigger.

For arpeggio exercises:
    http://jazzmando.com/ffcp.shtml

Good luck!

I've also got a copy of Tristan Scroggins's new How to Play Mandolin in 14 Days - Daily Lessons for Absolute Beginners.
    I would venture to say it is useful also for beginners who are not so absolute.

Hello!

Thanks!
    As a beginner I found Mandolin Primer by Bert Casey to be a great place to start. For me, Mandolin for Dummies was a bit overwhelming

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    For arpeggio exercises:
    http://jazzmando.com/ffcp.shtml

Good luck!
    I've seen this link referenced elsewhere, and then, as now, I get "ERROR 521 The Server is Down"
    Is it safe to assume it's working for you, Simon, since you put up the link?

I've looked into Marilyn Mair's books based on the recommendation in this thread, but I'm hunting for more recommendations before I pull the trigger.
    Marilynn Mair's The Complete Mandolinist is well worth having, phydaux. The name says it all—it's the most complete book I have found. Scales, arpeggios, double stops, duo style, and tunes from Mozart to Brazilian choro, all presented in a logical progression.

Hi Louise!

I see from Amazon that The Complete Mandolinist is mostly European music and doesn't include a lot of Celtic/Irish folk or American fold/bluegrass. Is this correct?

That's not bad, and is worth learning to build & broaden my technique. Just wondering if Exercises For Dummies might me more in line with the music I want to play.

The Complete Mandolinist is not for beginners, I would say it is for intermediate and advanced players who want to perfect their technique. And yes, it could be said that it is really focused on classical music.

Exercises for dummies is useful for any mandolin player, regardless of the genre the player plays. I would advise you to look at the books by Bradley Laird, Bert Casey and Simon Mayor, focused on what you are interested in, and all of their books come with audio, which is quite useful. Sure, there are many more, but these are the authors I know.
    Music washes away from the soul the dust of every-day life. Auerbach.
    The rejection of 'the others' is a tragedy of the human being; If it comes from emigrants, an added horror!

Phydaux, there's a little bit of everything in it. It's certainly not a tune book—plenty of others fill that niche. It's a method book, and working your way through it, a bit at a time, would be helpful to anyone playing any genre.

You may have noticed the banner at the top of the page: Mel Bay is offering 30% off on all books and e-books. Check out the huge number of mandolin books on their site. You're sure to find plenty to keep you busy.

For those of us who are notation challenged, Chapter 4 and Appendix B of the Dummies book are particularly useful.