Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bag or case

Default Bag or case

Firstly, yes, I have researched the forum history and, while I can piece together an answer to my question, I’d feel a lot better if I can can get a confirmation for my specific instance.

I bought my first mandolin recently. It’s a Collings MF Deluxe to which I’ve added a strap (around the scroll) and a Tone Guard. I’ll probably add an armrest at some point.

The Collings TKL case might handle just the Tone Guard but the strap pushes the fit just a bit too far for my comfort level.

I’ve read there’s a Gator foam bag that will accommodate the Tone Guard as will a Travelite case. But, will they fit both the Tone Guard and a leather strap? Is there a better option?

I’m sure there are many in here that have found a solution to my specific situation and I look forward to your advice. Thanks.

Default Re: Bag or case

A gig bag would be convenient. A hard-shell case would protect your Collings from the world.

I have my Campanella in a TKL case with the Tone Guard and it fits fine but no strap. OTOH I don't trust a gig bag to protect my mandolin enough. All my good instruments are in hardshell cases. No Caltons but solid ones, mostly TKL and the like.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

GChris 

Don't believe the Collings TKL will be able to handle both. On my MT the strap has to come off before going in the case. It does fit with the Tonegard.

On a Travelite case the strap also has to come off. Haven't tried the Gator.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

6. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

GChris 

Reunion blues gig bags are very nice a friend used to work in their shop. in SF, before the company went offshore ..

https://reunionblues.com/
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GChris View Post
    Firstly, yes, I have researched the forum history and, while I can piece together an answer to my question, I’d feel a lot better if I can get a confirmation for my specific instance ... I’m sure there are many in here that have found a solution to my specific situation and I look forward to your advice. Thanks.
    I appreciate your attempt to introduce specificity into a thread right from the start. I wish you well in this endeavor. The thread title is a bit more inclusive, which invites chatterboxes (like me) to pipe up and offer not-exactly-relevant information and observations - from which I shall refrain, having none specific to the brands mentioned. I just wanted to compliment you on your foresight, perhaps inspired by noticing how things often go around here. Good luck!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

9. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

GChris 

Resident Hack

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    The strap has to come off but at least will fit in the compartment. A LOT of these cases have a compartment too small or too narrow to fit either strap or a set of strings. My Travelite fits both, so I would go that way and simply unstrap when it goes in the case.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

11. The following members say thank you to Mitch Stein for this post:

GChris 

I recently got a Travelite, and with my Eastman and Tone-Gard, it's tight. Reviews on that case with Tone-Gard are mixed on this forum - seems to depend on the mandolin. I'm not wild about the feel of shutting the case on it - it does not fall completely closed, i.e., you need to squeeze a bit to get it clasped and zippered. But, it stayed fine for the 5+ days I had it at a festival with me - no evidence of any effect on action. When I wasn't toting it around, though, the case was unclasped, though partly zipped, if someone decided to just move it.

The (flat/braided) Lakota strap doesn't seem to be an issue at all, as it lays across the top where there's no pressure.

The Travelite is light, but it is bulky - the tradeoff if you want a lightweight case that's actually protective.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

13. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

GChris 

Question Re: Bag or case

.. But it looks like you pick a suitable Uke size bag, now, as close enough..
    there is an external pocket..

https://reunionblues.com/collections/ukulele
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I didn't see a mandolin bag on Reunion Blues' site. Do you have to order a Uke bag?

I'd take measurements of your mandolin/s , and ask them, stating the data..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I'm with Jim. I don't trust a gig bag either.

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Man, I just ordered a Kentucky KM-250 mandolin, Kentucky Nu-Hyde gig bag, a Tone Guard, arm rest, and a Planet Waves strap. I just sort of assumed that once everything was bolted & strapped in place that it would all go back in the gig bag, Jed Clampett truck-style.

Now this thread has me worrying.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

I have a Reunion Blues leather bag. Quite a bit sturdier and much better padded than a simple gig bag. I use this to transport my Kimble the short distance to my partners house. Packed with armrest, Tone Gard, and strap. No problem at all. For trips other than that or a gig it travels in a hard case. I just slip off the strap. Tone Gard and armrest remain in place.

My Collings mandola fits the standard case well with a Tonegard but the mandola always comes out of the case minus the Tonegard!

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Luber View Post
    I didn't see a mandolin bag on Reunion Blues' site. Do you have to order a Uke bag?
    The Concert uke bag will fit an A style mandolin. While some F styles might fit, it would be tight, IMO.

FWIW, the continental is a semi rigid case, the sides are plastic with padding. And the top and back are thicker than most gig bags. It's between a regular gigbag and a lightweight case for safety, IMO. And it's excellent for carrying either a Strad-o-Lin or older Gibson oval hole in my experience.

Lastly, the prices on the website are down significantly from a few years ago.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I got a Gator gig bag for Christamas and it's great. I use a toneguard and strap in it no problem (a-style, but don't see how an F would mess that up. The bag is much more sturdy than the "sleeve-style" gig bags out there. The straps are great-- both backpack and shoulder strap feel secure.

I'm comforatble with packing it in the back of my car with normal luggage-- definitely wouldn't stack anything on top of it but I don't worry about things jostling up against it as it has a pretty stiff frame. Would have no problem with it as my only festival case, but I'd think a bit about jamming it in an overhead bin and ignoring it-- it'd probably be okay, but...

23. The following members say thank you to KEB for this post:

GChris 

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

I'm kicking around the idea of blowing off the Planet Waves mandolin strap and just using a 72" leather boot lace. I can't imagine that would prevent my from fitting the mando in the gig bag.

Three cheers for redneck engineering!
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by KEB View Post
    I got a Gator gig bag for Christamas and it's great. I use a toneguard and strap in it no problem (a-style, but don't see how an F would mess that up. The bag is much more sturdy than the "sleeve-style" gig bags out there. The straps are great-- both backpack and shoulder strap feel secure.

I'm comforatble with packing it in the back of my car with normal luggage-- definitely wouldn't stack anything on top of it but I don't worry about things jostling up against it as it has a pretty stiff frame. Would have no problem with it as my only festival case, but I'd think a bit about jamming it in an overhead bin and ignoring it-- it'd probably be okay, but...
    I have a Gator case like that (foam covered with nylon-ish material), and I took it on a plane with me last spring. It fit fine in the overhead bin, but I did make sure that the stuff in front of it was stuff from my party (our backpacks) and carefully positioned. I wouldn't want to risk it in the luggage, so I was happy to be in an "A" boarding group on both flights.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    I have a Gator case like that (foam covered with nylon-ish material), and I took it on a plane with me last spring. It fit fine in the overhead bin, but I did make sure that the stuff in front of it was stuff from my party (our backpacks) and carefully positioned. I wouldn't want to risk it in the luggage, so I was happy to be in an "A" boarding group on both flights.
    I have watched too many folks on flights cramming large suitcases into the overhead racks. You were lucky. You may not be quite a lucky the next time. The last time I flew with a mandolin I had it in a hard case inside my tennis bag which I used as my carry-on. Not sure I can do it the same way these days since I am not sure how the regulations have changed.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I have TKL cases for both my mandolins. Both have ToneGards and straps that don't come off. I take the bottom of the strap off, but the top stays connected to the mandolin - and that's mainly because I don't want the strap over my instrument (my Newson has a French polish - technically I shouldn't even have the ToneGard on it haha). Most of my mandolin playing friends have a TKL for a hard case and I haven't seen a mandolin with a ToneGard that wouldn't fit in a TKL case.

I also use the Boulder Alpine Series gig bag - but only if I'm walking around town or going to a festival (and I usually bring a hard case to the festival as well in case it rains).
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Don't believe the Collings TKL will be able to handle both. On my MT the strap has to come off before going in the case. It does fit with the Tonegard.

I have an MT2 with Tonegard and McClung arm rest that fits well in my Travelite, even with the Bailey strap on it. I just remove the strap from the tailpiece button and curl it underneath the headstock. All I have to do is attach the strap and I'm ready to go. I can't get Tonegard or arm rest in the Collings case. I don't know about the strap in the Collings case; I haven't tried it yet. No doubt I'd have to completely remove it.

Not sure about present offerings, but I have a recent Reunion Blues F style mandolin bag I bought new from a store in Winston-Salem via Reverb last year. Excellent protection and not as bulky as Travelite or Gator (but also more expensive), though it’s NOT a flight case. I don’t use a tone guard so can’t comment on that fit, but have no issue getting the strap in still attached at both ends. Currently have a Lakota Leathers flat strap on that one. Of course, this is one case when having an A style mandolin helps out (if all else fails I have the scroll space to use)…

I used a Travelite case for a while, years a go. My Lebeda F-style with tonegard and strap fit inside with no problems. The light weight of the case was nice, but I didn't like the way the stiff foam top lid could be depressed with some hand pressure, right where the bridge is located. I wasn't a fan of the zipper closure either, and could imagine that being a problem later on.

So eventually I ordered a fiberglass Pegasus case, and never looked back. Fits the mandolin with tonegard and strap (braided cord type), very protective, and about as compact as a case can be and still have just enough room for a clip-on tuner and spare strings. I would never go back to a foam or gig bag type case because they're just not enough protection for me.

The main trade-off is weight. A fiberglass case will always be heavier than a gig bag or hard foam case like the Travelite. But a mandolin is a small instrument. Even in fiberglass, these cases just aren't that heavy to lift and carry.

I have straps and tone gards on most of my instruments. They also fit in their cases with these on.
    My Morris hybrid F4 fits great in the "Superior" brand case Sonny provided with it wearing a strap and gard. My Cricket fiddle F5 fits in it's no name oval ABS case as well.

I only use a gig bag if I'm bicycling to a jam/gig. Yes this is far less protection, especially if I were to crash my bike at any speed and land or roll on my back.