Thread: Mandolin Lesson Advise

Default Mandolin Lesson Advise

I need some advise on Mandolin Lessons. There's no one local to take lessons from, so I'm going the online route. I'm not a true "beginner" but I haven't owned/played a mandolin in almost 4 years. I don't mind paying for my lessons but I don't have a big budget because I just purchased a mandolin. Any ideas/advise would be appreciated.

Randy

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Re: Mandolin Lesson Advise

I just bought my mandolin as well. I’m using a combination of video lessons from mendolessons.com and Mandolin From Scratch by Bruce Emery.

3. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

I second mandolessons.com! Baron Collins-Hill has a great beginners set of videos, plus tabs, exercises--a little bit of everything--all free. Support him on Patreon if you like his work.

5. The following members say thank you to stellaforvega for this post:

I give lessons online and have been posting a bunch of free lessons on my site.

You can see my lesson rates etc here https://mattcbruno.com/lesson-information/ or hover over the "Lesson" tab in the menu to see some of the free lessons

Other than me and my shameless self-promotion, I like Peghead Nation too. The upside is there's a good variety of lessons to choose from with good video and PDF content. The downside is they are not personalized - so you can't really ask "help me with this" easily. I think you can record a video question and send it in (I believe Artistworks does that too) but I've never really done that.

The main downside I find from sites like Peghead is there's no accountability for the student. A good personalized teacher will help you structure goals and plot a path towards them - the regular lessons I find helps keep students on track to meet those goals faster than those that just use random videos. Just my $0.02.
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbruno For This Useful Post:

Hi Randy — I have utilized a lot of online resources in my 6 years of playing but only started regular live (online) 1:1 lessons with someone about year ago. I’m very glad that I did — it’s really changed my approach to how I go about learning. There are a huge number of mandolin players offering instruction online. I checked out Matt Bruno’s site (maybe you did too) and he’s clearly very thoughtful about teaching and his prices look very reasonable to me. I’ve paid more for some perhaps better known mandolin teachers, and they were great, but for whatever reason I wasn’t ready to commit to regular lessons until recently. I’m working with Kaden Hurst out of Portland, OR. He’s very reasonable in cost and is just a wizard of a player and also a very thoughtful teacher. We meet for an hour each week and it is time and money well spent.

If you don't have a big budget for lessons, then I suggest looking into either Artist Works or Peghead Nation. Both have TOP-notch instructors. You'll need to put a chunk of change down up front, but you'll get 24/7 access to materials for 3-12 months for those bucks. Artist Works is always offering discounts, but I don't know about Peghead Nation.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories