Thread: New Mandolin Day em8!

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default New Mandolin Day em8!

Always excited when I receive a new mandolin. This is a solid body from Mike at Mid-Missouri Mandolins well known here on the Cafe as a builder of often recommended acoustics. This one is numbered 0015 and in Mike's words, "The last electric he will ever build". Playability is very comfortable up and down and across the neck. Mike had built this last one for himself but hadn't played it and had even harvested parts off of it for other acoustic builds. When I reached out to him for an em8 he told me about this one. It had a flat fret board and he offered to make a radius board for it. I am very pleased with the mandolin and my experience of working with Mike.
    My em8 experience started with me wanting something to play unplugged so as not to drive my wife crazy when playing a new to me tune repeatedly. Then I bought an inexpensive used Cozart from a Cafe Member that in his words "hot rodded" it with stratocaster pick-ups for an upgrade. This, as I was told made a huge improvement. While intonation and string height were OK the nut and frets were typical of an inexpensive Asian electric needing work. A trip to my luthier and more $$.$$ made an 80 or 90% improvement but it still had that flat fret board I'm not keen on.
    So here I am today with what I was hoping for but facing a huge learning curve as to how I process the signal from the instrument to the speakers to get the sound I want.
    HATS OFF TO MIKE DULAK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0291.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	692.3 KB 
ID:	197133   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0290.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	679.0 KB 
ID:	197134  
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

2. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Re: New Mandolin Day em8!

Gratz, Bill. My first mandolin, a Kentucky KM-250, is suppose to arrive from Elderly Instruments today.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

4. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

That's gorgeous! What's the top wood? I find the 4 & 5 string electrics sound better with pedals than the 8 strings. I haven't monkeyed with the settings between guitar & mandolin though so it's prolly just me
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

6. The following members say thank you to urobouros for this post:

I must also admit to being more inclined to the 8 string mandolin, even plugged in, as more of a "mandolin" sound. That doesn't mean that I'm not lusting after a nicer 5 string emando. It's just not as "mandolin" as an 8.

Len B.
    Clearwater, fl

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Not really sure what the top wood is. I assume maple. Being a solid body I didn’t have the same level of interest in the type of wood I have when I’m considering an acoustic.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)