Thread: Canon in Augmentation and Contrary Motion BWV 1080

Default Canon in Augmentation and Contrary Motion BWV 1080

Hi,
    I was listening to the Bach-album by Mike Marshall and Catharina Lichtenberg. I really love track 21, the Canon in Augmentation and Contrary Motion BWV 1080. As i was searching the internet for the sheet music, i found several versions, but they don't seem to match the recording (only the first 2 measures or so match). Does anyone know if they recorded some other version, or am i missing something else? (Like proper sheetmusic-reading skills )
    Eastman MD-315

Default Re: Canon in Augmentation and Contrary Motion BWV 1080

Sorry, I don't have the CD in question.

However, in case you aren't aware, the single canon in question isn't BWV 1080, but rather is from a much larger BWV 1080, "Die Kunst der Fuge" ["The Art of Fugue"]. BWV 1080 is a collection of 14 fugues and 4 canons, a kind of comprehensive exposition of J. S. Bach's amassed contrapuntal techniques, all derived from reworking one primary theme as an example of what could be done with it. The 14th fugue within the set was left incomplete in manuscript. "Die Kunst der Fuge" wasn't first published until shortly after Bach's death. Different editions may present the individual pieces in slightly different sequence. The first edition (1751) contained an additional three pieces that Bach might not have intended to be included, but they still appear in some subsequent editions.

If you're looking at a different individual piece from within BWV 1080, it won't match what your ears are hearing for long. See if you can find the score for an excerpted piece specifically labeled "Canon in Hypodiatesseron, al roversio [or "roverscio"] e per augmentationem, perpetuus," "Canon per Augmentationem in Contrario Motu," or similar—or locate a complete score, finding an individual piece with a heading as described above, likely near to the end. Let us know how that works out.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:

I think this is the track that Stefan is referring to:

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I think this is the track that Stefan is referring to:

Yup, that one would match the piece/score to which I refer above.

FYI, no mandolin in sight but Hesperion XX's is an arrangement of which I'm quite fond.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Sorry, I don't have the CD in question.

However, in case you aren't aware, the single canon in question isn't BWV 1080, but rather is from a much larger BWV 1080, "Die Kunst der Fuge" ["The Art of Fugue"]. BWV 1080 is a collection of 14 fugues and 4 canons, a kind of comprehensive exposition of J. S. Bach's amassed contrapuntal techniques, all derived from reworking one primary theme as an example of what could be done with it. The 14th fugue within the set was left incomplete in manuscript. "Die Kunst der Fuge" wasn't first published until shortly after Bach's death. Different editions may present the individual pieces in slightly different sequence. The first edition (1751) contained an additional three pieces that Bach might not have intended to be included, but they still appear in some subsequent editions.

If you're looking at a different individual piece from within BWV 1080, it won't match what your ears are hearing for long. See if you can find the score for an excerpted piece specifically labeled "Canon in Hypodiatesseron, al roversio [or "roverscio"] e per augmentationem, perpetuus," "Canon per Augmentationem in Contrario Motu," or similar—or locate a complete score, finding an individual piece with a heading as described above, likely near to the end. Let us know how that works out.

I think this helps. I did find the correct piece in Die Kunst der Fuge, which starts the same as the recording i am listening to, but changes after 2 measures. I found different sheet music of a Canon in Hypodiatesseron that seems to fit the recording Apparently there are 2 versions of this piece. Thanks for your help!
    Eastman MD-315

8. The following members say thank you to StefanWeigand for this post:

Eugene