Thread: Upgrade tail piece?

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Upgrade tail piece?

Does changing the tail piece on a mandolin do anything for the tone?

Is there anything you can do to "upgrade" a mandolin? I come from the guitar world where guys are constantly upgrading their nuts & saddles. Is that a thing here?

What about bling like custom pick guards & truss rod covers?
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Default Re: Upgrade tail piece?

Do anything you want to your mandolin, I have a custom truss rod cover but, that’s really nothing more than bling. As for a TP maybe some tonal difference but, I don’t think it would be a big difference.
    MOP nut, maybe, bone inserts in the saddle, aluminum saddle. There is a lot you can do to play with it but, if it’s better only you can make the call on that.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Depends on what mandolin you have. I had an Eastman 315 that I "upgraded" with better tuners, Cumberland Acoustic ebony bridge, cast tailpiece and an arm rest. Did it make it sound better? I doubt it but it improved usability. I currently play a Girouard F-5 that came with the standard Gibson style tailpiece. I had Max send me a James tailpiece with the Girouard script engraved in it. It looks great and has made string changes soooo much easier.
    Last edited by Charles E.; Oct-28-2021 at 3:01pm.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Blog Entries

A different tailpiece can make it easier (or more difficult) to change strings. It can expose more or less (or none) of the twisties near the loop that can snag your sweater cuff. And some cheap TP's just look kinda cheesy. It might affect the tone - depends on who you ask (there are some strong opinions on this).

I really like the James tailpiece on one of my mandolins for its ease of string changing. But I haven't rushed out to replace the stock Weber TP on another.
    Last edited by HonketyHank; Oct-28-2021 at 3:18pm.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

One thing that definitely can influence tone is the bridge. And the bridge fit.

6. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

Given; It's a FAQ .. perhaps you can look up past responses in the linked Archive , bottom of the page .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Years ago I changed my Weber tailpiece for a James. Amazing how easy it makes changing strings. Open the door, install a string, close the door ! Cake. !

Personally I don’t care for 2 piece TP’s. Whenever possible I have changed out for a hinged TP like James or Gilchrist. Can’t honestly say I’ve ever noticed a tonal difference but, as stated by others, string changes are a breeze and it makes me happy.