Thread: From A Jack To A king

Default From A Jack To A king

I'm trying to find mandolin tab for From A Jack To A King by Ned Miller in 1957.Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Default Re: From A Jack To A king

I thought that was "From A Jack To A Queen". No? Nice song.
    Eastman 515 Mando
    Gibson J-30 Guitar
    RK-80 Banjo

My bad. It's "From A Jack To A King" by Ned Miller. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJEs2uM7zaM I don't think Ned wanted to be a Queen. Duh.
    Eastman 515 Mando
    Gibson J-30 Guitar
    RK-80 Banjo

From a Jack to a King, I played an Ace and I won a Queen, you've made me King of your heart. I'm trying to imagine this melody on solo mandolin. A lot of tremolo maybe?

5. The following members say thank you to Hudmister for this post:

Maybe the chords will help? They can be found here. https://www.cowboylyrics.com/tabs/mi...king-3638.html

Ned sings it in Eb. The link is for guitar tuned down a half step so the E chord shape is the Eb sound. But for mandolin, Eb, F, Ab and Bb can be played in closed form. Its like D, E, G, and A moved up one fret.
    Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

7. The following members say thank you to Peter Coronado for this post:

Thanks. I have found lyrics and guitar chords but as of yet nothing for the mandolin. not even a you tube video of someone playing this tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Shore Billy View Post
    Thanks. I have found lyrics and guitar chords but as of yet nothing for the mandolin. not even a you tube video of someone playing this tune.
    That's a fun song. Are you planning to sing it with mandolin accompaniment? Maybe not much help here but...

The chords are the same... guitar or mandolin. This version by Ricky Van Shelton is in 'D'. A pretty straight forward 3 (not counting the '7ths') chord song with just the one II (E in this case) chord slid up to in the bridge (over the words "just in time").

The thing that makes this song immediately recognizable and sets it apart, is that short lead line (Ned Miller's version in the middle of the song and Ricky's also kicking it off). Whichever key you decide to play the song, that lead line is basically just a descending major scale in that key. Add in a little 'double-stop' harmony and you're good to go.

"I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

10. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Here's a good chance to fine tune your ability to learn the melody enough to sing it and then find those notes on your mandolin. That will give you a cognitive tie in between what you hear and what you play. The melody is fairly simple. IN the years I spent playing in bands we all had to find the melody quickly on songs when guest singers might appear in a club or the lead singer suddenly accepted a request for a song after getting a request. Having that ability to find the melody quickly was very handy, actually it was a survival tool back in those days.

12. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

Thanks I'll give it a try.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ampyjoe For This Useful Post:

Thanks for sharing the film with me.

I always thought it was called ' Farmer Jack '

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5