Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decided to expand from just guitar to mandolin

Default Re: Decided to expand from just guitar to mandolin

I'm late to this thread but I like these kind of discussions because they really helped me when I was starting to look for a mandolin a few years ago.

I think that a Big Muddy/Mid-Mo is a great starter instrument and a great instrument for a starter and I didn't think that Pheffernan was denigrating it in any way. I also don't think that it is pejorative to call an instrument a starter instrument. Heck, Collings, Pava, and Northfield are great starter instruments as well (if you can afford them) in that they are quality instruments that are setup right and that won't fight and frustrate you and should, in fact, inspire you to keep playing and striving. That's what a good instrument does, at any price.

Rob

Unless I missed it the OP is still in the market. I just perused the classifieds and noted there are three Morris's for sale by Howard (Sonny). 2 carved topped oval holes and one flat top. I've owned a couple of them and they are a high quality instrument, plus Sonny is a delight to work with. The OP could give him a call and discuss his wants and get some good advice. Also noted a few Breedloves for sale. I still have my Big Muddies and don't plan to sell either any time soon.

to the OP-Welcome to the site and good luck with whatever you decide
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

I am in contact with one of the sellers of one of the mandolins mentioned. Being used, and the seller not being knowledgeable about mandolins, I asked her to have a friend she mentioned give it a look over and make sure it was all still in great shape. I know it's not expensive as mandolins go, but no one wants to get an instrument with an issue in the mail.

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

The thing I like about Big Muddy is he sells them blonde. I'm all for paying extra to get beautiful figured maple, but I want to be able to show it off, not hide it under dark brown stain & lacquer.

IMO OP should look for something new from a reputable seller so that his instrument arrives with a fresh setup & intonation. Something like an Eastman 505, Kentucky KM-256, or Kentucky KM-270.

And Eastman 505 is a versatile instrument that a player can be proud of and can easily last a player a lifetime. Here's Dennis from The Mandolin Store (one of the forum's sponsors) playing one:

Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

I'm trying to see if I can grab a US made instrument at a price I can deal with, before I go off shore. Some of the Eastmans look really nice. Real eye candy.

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

I was saving my money for an Eastman guitar when I got bit by the mandolin bug. Now I'm saving my money again for that Eastman guitar, and in all probability will one day trade in my KM-250 for an Eastman 505.

Yes Eastman is Chinese, but they make great instruments.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

JohnW63, what others have said I echo. I too came from the guitar world and the mandolin made me a better guitar player as well as a decent mandolin player. I started with a Kentucky KM-180S and now have two Flatirons, an A and an F, and an Eastman oval hole.
    It's a whole different beast than guitar and seems to open up a whole different, deeper, understanding of music as a whole.
    Take the plunge and get a decent one in your price range. You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post

What issues should I look out for in a used mandolin? Neck angles? Bridge issues? Intonation problems?
    Eastman & Kentucky are 2 popular starters. You’ll find used instruments occasionally in classifieds.

Issues: I would add fret wear as an important element in a used mando. When I purchased my E 615, it had dressed frets which were beginning to wear down. Ultimately I needed a refret. Such repairs are pricey and you have to acknowledge that you’re investing way more than you’ll get back on a resale. Fortunately my Eastman is a keeper.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

I got a video and a bunch of pictures from the seller of one mandolin in the classified. To my ear it sounds like I was hoping. I was about to send the " What's your best price shipped to me? " email, when another MC member sent me a link to a mandolin on Facebook at a better price. I had my wife send an " is it still for sale and would you ship it? " message. If they will, I sort of feel bad for the seller of the first one. It is a $200 difference though.

I had a couple re-fret jobs done, they came back after skilled Professional attention a huge amount easier to play ..

In Short Who you get it from is really important. Do they set it up before shipping?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Few used mandolins, from private parties , come with a setup, I suspect. If a dealer had a cool one in my price range, I would inquire about that. So far, what I have seen is the basic brands that everyone sells at the lower end and darn expensive ones that the dealers must have for the Pros.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Hey, John, are you the one posting at Let's Talk Guild?
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
    Few used mandolins, from private parties , come with a setup, I suspect. If a dealer had a cool one in my price range, I would inquire about that. So far, what I have seen is the basic brands that everyone sells at the lower end and darn expensive ones that the dealers must have for the Pros.
    Taking it to your repair person to be looked over/set up is not that big of a deal to me, as long as there aren't major issues to deal with that you didn't notice. I feel like it's a matter of learning what to look for/watch out for, and maybe talking it over with the luthier before you commit. All of mine have had at least a once over after I got them, and a couple have needed some repairs. If that's factored into the price, it's fine (IMHO). I haven't been burned yet, and I'm not super experienced. If someone had something cool in my price range, and it wasn't setup, that would not necessarily be a knocker for me. I have gotten some decent deals on craigslist.

I had to click the link Sue suggested regarding a Big Muddy. That one is unique!

I really enjoy my Big Muddy and I also have two BEAUTIFUL Breedlove mandolins, both USA. It’s a good life.

Hi, Charlie !

I'll hold my hand out for the secret LTG handshake.