Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin - Resonator by Republic

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin - Resonator by Republic

Yep, you kinda dodged a bullet there. (I just can't help myself!) I need someone who knows about such things what to do with a 3GP file. I tried converting it to MP3; failing that, MP4. No dice. It won't even play in RealPlayer. Somehow the Movies/TV app that came with Microsoft 10 on my laptop played it. I recorded that on my phone, putting it into a usable format - with much degradation. Open to suggestions.

FWIW, it was video'd on Mrs. Owner's camera, from about 20 feet away, looks like. Still awfully loud.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

While I'm asking questions, does anyone with experience in these matters know how to effect a transaction via craigslist? I don' dabble here, but I am familiar with eBay. There, they have a box you check and it follows logically. I don't see any such box in this ad. I asked the owner and I'm still waiting to hear - always a delay with these guys. In fact, their overall tendency toward slow communication gives me pause. So I want to make sure there's some sort of safeguard, a guarantee. I'm reluctant to send payment outside the auspices of craigslist. At least most communication has been via email through craigslist, so there's a record.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I would ask for a phone number and call and discuss the transaction. In person would be best, if possible.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

I have her number and his number, and they have mine. "In person" ain't happening - they're somewhere near Dallas. They offered to have a friend going to St. Augustine drive it that far ... but then what? Must be 350 miles or more from here. I answer them usually in a matter of hours, sometimes minutes; it takes them days, and sometimes a reminder. "Proactive" is not their MO.

I'm wondering how to make a secure transaction when they DO give me the go-ahead.

Craiglist is all at your own risk. They don't have any auspices under which to make payment. Perhaps you would have some protection using paypal. In person is always best, but you being in FL and the seller being in TX, pops1 is right about a phone call. This guy, as far as we know, isn't even a cafe member, so there's that.

CL, btw, encourages in person vs. long distance transactions for just this reason.

Don't I recall you expecting company from St Augustine in December?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Whoa! That's right. Hey, Charley!

Well, that could solve transpo, all right. There's still payment - and yes, doing it via PayPal.

I do Craigslist fairly often mainly selling but sometimes buying. ONLY cash and in person. And be very careful about where you meet. If anyone even asks about anything other than cash I kill it right then and there. Waaay too many scammers and crooks. Is a great tool but has its dangers.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Whoa! That's right. Hey, Charley!

Well, that could solve transpo, all right. There's still payment - and yes, doing it via PayPal.
    Another possibility, could he trust his friend who is transporting it to collect payment on arrival?

11. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Sending you a PM
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Another possibility, could he trust his friend who is transporting it to collect payment on arrival?
    That's a great idea! The only wrinkle is their friends are from St. Aug, not Dallas, so they'd have to get the $$$ to them somehow - like PayPal. But yes, I could send Charley the money, he could give the ax a once-over - if necessary - and hand them the cash. All good. Plus Charley could have some fun with it for a while till he comes down here in December. Sounds like a win-win-win.

If that were to happen JB, you would not only owe me a beer but a double Blantons on the rocks!
    Charley

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a mandolin and shoot it yourself?
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    Snort!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    If that were to happen JB, you would not only owe me a beer but a double Blantons on the rocks!
    I was gonna treat you dinner, but have it your way.

So this just in:

I just saw your response about having our friends meet up with your friend, but they live in an RV and don't have much storage space. They are musiscians and would treat it kindly - not worried about that. Just found out they flew in and didn't drive. I'll include shipping in selling price - looks like it will be about $35. I usually have people use my email - not sure if phone number works to find me on PayPal as well. If you send as a friend or family, it doesn't incur fees on my side. Glenn is sending along a new box of Elixir medium strings. Will that work?

When it comes to excuses, I think she's covered all the bases. Plus some. Flying back, with this as an added piece of luggage - what can I say? I dunno, maybe have it be one of their carry-ons? What I always do. As to "they live in an RV and don't have much storage space" - how much room does the bloody thing take up, anyway? And I'm sure it would just be for a day or two, maybe even less. I swear, it's been like pulling teeth with her. Or perhaps like extracting a bullet from a wound.

I wish I had some assurance they are on the level. The friend-to-friend handoff was the best solution. I'm going to suggest to her what I just said and see how that goes. Any other ideas?

I suppose so, the way this is dragging on. Quicker, anyway. I'd have to buy a gun, too, though. I expect that's not a big deal in this state, with its general political climate. But anyway, no, that would be cheating.

Charley

20. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Just don't do the Paypal friends and family. It gives you zero protection. Pay the difference yourself if it comes to that.
    Don't think I'd want it under the plane, who knows how they'd pack it.

It's getting pretty complicated.

[QUOTE=journeybear;1843627I suppose so, the way this is dragging on. Quicker, anyway. I'd have to buy a gun, too, though. I expect that's not a big deal in this state, with its general political climate. But anyway, no, that would be cheating. [/QUOTE]

Yeah. I forgot that you and I don't approve of distressing instruments.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Blog Entries

Yeah. I forgot that you and I don't approve of distressing instruments.
    I've forgotten that, too. But please don't remind me; I'll take your word for it. The thing is, buying a different one - at would surely be a higher price - plus a gun, plus bullets, brings the whole deal into the cost-prohibitive zone. On the other hand, this is just fine, as is, if I could just get my hands on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Just don't do the Paypal friends and family. It gives you zero protection.
    Gahhh ...

Don't think I'd want it under the plane, who knows how they'd pack it.
    Carry-on. I said "carry-on." People carry instruments on-board all the time. Mandolins in gig bags usually fit under the seat.

It's getting pretty complicated.
    No kidding!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I've forgotten that, too. But please don't remind me; I'll take your word for it. The thing is, buying a different one - at would surely be a higher price - plus a gun, plus bullets, brings the whole deal into the cost-prohibitive zone.
    Plus, that would be phoney baloney.

25. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Blog Entries

That, too.

Blog Entries

Well, here's where we're at. I've sent this to the owner. Waiting for a reply. I think it's straightforward:

Hi. I've talked about this whole deal with a few friends, and some things have come up. All of them, every one, said I should never make a transaction through craigslist unless it's in person. People use cl all too often as a way to run scams or rip off people. There's a warning right on craigslist, right on top, to this effect. I'm not saying that's what's going on here. but what assurance do I have it isn't? How do I know you'll send the instrument after I send payment? And cl doesn't offer any protection, as eBay does.

That makes me like the idea of your friends transporting it, and handing it off to my friend in St. Augustine, even more. They can carry it on - mandolins are usually small enough to fit under the seat - and if there's a problem with that, they can ask the flight attendant to stow it in their closet. They understand and are used to it; musicians do that all the time. When they get home, they can meet with my friend right away or very soon; they won't have to store it at their place. He'll pay them, cash, they can send it to you, done deal.

I really think this is the way to go; in fact, I think it's practically a Godsend that you have your friends and I have my friend to act as go-betweens. The only other way to go is for you to send it and me to send payment upon receipt - but that's just the same as what you are asking me to do. But maybe the PO still does COD - they used to. All that said, The friend-to-friend handoff may really be the easiest. Plus you wouldn't have to box it up - that's another plus.

Well, think it over, and let me know what you think.

Thanks!

I'll stand by what I posted before and add to it. As soon as the stories start the spidey senses are not just tingling. Cash only. Hand to hand between your friend and the seller. If need be, your friend can box it and mail it to you.

Do NOT rely on Paypal for protection......the frustration involved will not be worth losing the money.

You pays your nickel, you takes your ride.

Blog Entries

Well, I just got off the phone after a 20-minute call from her. She says she's done several sales through craigslist and PayPal with no problem. She offered to do regular PayPal instead of F&F, even though that adds fees. She said her friends have their instruments with them so they already have their carry-ons. I suggested USPS COD, which she said she'd never heard of. We left it as I would look into PayPal and she would look into COD. That is, after she rattled on about all the charity work she and her husband do, collecting toys for kids and fundraising for firemen and so on. I'm comfortable with COD, where I wouldn't pay anything until it arrives, at which point I'd sign a money order which they deliver to the seller - I'm sure there are fees, though apart from the money order fee, I'm not sure what.

Otherwise, I'm really reluctant to proceed. I'm not sure why people are not upbeat about PayPal protection. But even craigslist advises in-person cash transactions only - it's at the top of their list. Even though I got a fairly good vibe from talking with her, or rather, listening to her, I'm not convinced that's good enough.

I wonder if there's a Café member who lives near Dallas and could meet the seller in person. I'd have more faith in a member than a stranger.

Bottom line is, this is something I want, not something I need, and I can walk away head held high. It would be cool, for sure, but if it ain't happening, it ain't happening.

How often would you play it?

How often would you play it if it sounds really bad?

How would you get rid of it if either of those come into play?

How do you know the story behind the bullet hole are real......?

How often have you bought a used car from a lot when you got a good vibe from the salesman...........after hearing a bunch of woes from his life and how he is a really good person. And is Bill Gates in disguise?

Yeah, I guess I am too wrapped up in this one.

Key West? Eventually this one will wind up in Rick Igo's pawn shop. Just wait. (Rick used to be my landlord ((I got along with him great))....some great stories there!)