Thread: Micro Mixer

Default Micro Mixer

I am considering purchasing a Soundcraft Notepad-12FX (usually street price of 189). I am mostly interested because of the quiet pre's and phantom power. Has 4 mic xlr ins. Has a decent 3 band eq. Effects are basic but tweakable. No compression. No On/Off button. It can also be used as an interface for recording although it looks like a complicated set up for recording. But I will mostly use it for live duo gigs and as a back up mixer for the bigger band. I normally use the soundcraft ui 16 digital mixer for the bigger band but I live in fear of connectivity problems so I want to get a smallish analogue mixer with better/quieter pres for my condenser mic which wont work on the ui16 because of high noise of the pres and weak phantom. Does anyone have the Notepad ? Any thoughts for something better from the usual suspects (Mackie,Yamaha,AH) ? Is there something newer that is better ?
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Default Re: Micro Mixer

You could get a stand alone phantom power unit. It may quiet the noise, if the phantom is better, the mic will work better.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Astro 

I used the earlier version of the Allen & Heath ZEDi-10FX 10 for a few years, it's a great little compact analog mixer for small-scale gigs. Very good preamps. I think one difference with the Soundcraft Notepad is the ZED has separate AUX and FX sends, useful if you're running monitors and want a separate level without FX. The A&H is more expensive than the Soundcraft and might be a little larger.

Both A&H and Soundcraft make quality gear, I've used mixers from both companies.

5. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Astro 

Not needing one , as I am not out performing.
    but,.. I've seen there is a new crop of mixers using a touch screen tablet for controls.
    Your mic cables plug into the docking base for the tablet ..
    "New" in this case is several years ago, no doubt..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Well I got the Soundcloud Notepad 12 FX today and I really like it. It is dead quiet. Phantom power works well with my condenser mic. The high impedance button works great on my guitar. The effects are usable. I have not tried to use it as an interface via usb for recording yet. Probably never will as my Scarlet looks easier. But I can recommend this as a small mixer. The knobs are pretty sensitive compared to using sliding faders but for a small footprint and 200 bucks I am going to enjoy this one I think.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.