Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The "legitimate classical instrument" thing..

Blog Entries

Default Re: The "legitimate classical instrument" thing..

Music categorization as I see in this discussion and most of the others here is based on the physical instrument. Are there saxophone players lamenting that they are not accepted into the world of symphonies and philharmonics? (Poor souls...).

My personal criterion, or preference is to use terms like culture, skill and knowledge of music and it's applied theory to organize around the physical instrument's role.

I often find myself saying, what would that music sound like with a mandolin ensemble? And that is based on certain abilities of the instrument being similar to what I've heard on a recording.

We're just part of a cultural phenomenon. Mandolin advocates.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

2. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by ProfChris View Post
    I'm actually a lawyer, not a biologist, but I read about evolutionary biology for fun. I enjoy the cladist/non-cladist taxonomical debates because those at the extremes put their positions forward as some kind of objective truth, not realising that they are merely devising a classification rule which is no more objective than anyone else's. Lawyers know that they are making their rules up!
    Indeed. The only thing that really matters among biological populations is who is capable of making babies with whom. All the layers above is solely to benefit the people thinking about such stuff. In musical inspiration—however, and at the whim of the makers of music—every musical concept can potentially make babies with every other!

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    Are there saxophone players lamenting that they are not accepted into the world of symphonies and philharmonics?.
    I used to do symphony gigs on guitar, mandolin, or banjo when the program required one of those. The Threepenny Opera Suite uses tenor banjo plus classical guitar, as well as accordion and two or three saxes. I recall a rehearsal where our conductor (an excellent and well-known maestro) was trying to come up with a good stage setup, and finally decided to put "the gypsies" together over near the piano.

On another performance of the same piece with another (very fine and known) conductor, I was seated with my banjo in the Concertmaster position on stage, since the piece doesn't use a string section. I had to lead the tuning with a banjo A, and the orchestra stood when I stood. Nice feeling, if a bit silly.

In both cases the oddball instruments were warmly welcomed to the orchestra, but with a smile.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Clausen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clausen View Post
    I was seated with my banjo in the Concertmaster position on stage, since the piece doesn't use a string section. I had to lead the tuning with a banjo A, and the orchestra stood when I stood. Nice feeling,
    Priceless.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    .....All biological progeny are products of their progenitors, and hybridization among distantly related things don't/can't result in viable interspecific chimera's (fruit bats and crocodiles don't parent winged-dragon hybrids). .....
    Unless they are on the scratchplates of some mandolins favored by some 'classical' mandolin enthusiasts.

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fruit Bat + Crocodile.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	198003  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

8. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Eugene 

I think part of the "legitimate" aspect is due to the relative scarcity of classical mandolinists compared with the folk/bluegrass ones. For example, I live in a relatively big city (Barcelona, 1,6M inhabitants) and I'm struggling to find a classical trained teacher. No conservatory or music school available, and almost all of the people I saw online are self taught guitarrists that also played a bit of mandolin as a second or third instrument.

If I do a search for violin instead, I would find hundreds of music schools or teachers with "proper" technique and no one that learned by himself.

Blog Entries

We are only beginning to bridge the gap between the educated and un-educated musicians. (mandolinists among them).

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Fernandez View Post
    I think part of the "legitimate" aspect is due to the relative scarcity of classical mandolinists compared with the folk/bluegrass ones. For example, I live in a relatively big city (Barcelona, 1,6M inhabitants) and I'm struggling to find a classical trained teacher. No conservatory or music school available, and almost all of the people I saw online are self taught guitarrists that also played a bit of mandolin as a second or third instrument.

If I do a search for violin instead, I would find hundreds of music schools or teachers with "proper" technique and no one that learned by himself.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile