Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Price increases coming soon or already here

Blog Entries

Default Price increases coming soon or already here

Some of you, I'm sure, are aware prices of mandolins, both import and domestic have already risen or are about to. Have known about some of this for some time but it wasn't yet public. No longer. Here's the front page of The Mandolin Store as of this morning. Heard reports from two sources that container ship cargo rates have has tripled --I can't confirm that but lines up with everything-- so this will impact a lot of things, and not limited to imports. Good topic for discussion. Another interesting bit of information picked up recently: Northfield does not ship finished instruments or any of their parts by container. All by air.

Name:  priceincrease.jpg
Views: 2653
Size:  45.1 KB
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Nov-04-2021 at 11:07am. Reason: typo

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Price increases coming soon or already here

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Good topic for discussion.
    <Topics started for or end up being used to discuss religion, politics or sex as well as other hot button issues meant to create discord are prohibited. Posts or threads deemed inappropriate or unrelated to our subject matter are subject to immediate removal at the discretion of the forum owner and/or lead moderator.>
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Nov-03-2021 at 10:41am. Reason: violates forum posting guidelines
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Container rates have gone from $2400 to $14k. Assuming 250 mandos per 20 ft container, a $60 increase is an approximate base increase. Math may vary depending on packing. Of course, there are other shipping costs which have increases as well, trucking, etc.

When container rates decrease back to ‘normal’, I wouldn’t expects prices to decline.

Impact on US makers pricing is probably slight, but used prices have been climbing due to demand and speculation (seen the used Ruhland market?).
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Damn, I’ve had my eye on an Eastman guitar for a while

Increasing prices on imported instruments may be a good thing for domestic builders that have never been able to compete with the imports' prices.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

7. The following members say thank you to John Rosett for this post:

The only surprising thing is it's taken them this long.

I doubt this has any impact on domestic builders since none of them play at this price point.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

In this period of rising import prices and unreliable supply, think about buying used from a reliable local dealer. Used prices may be affected by inflation in the prices of new imports, but shouldn't bump up to the extent that supply-chain-dependent prices do.

In our tiny corner of the overall global marketplace, we're seeing the risks of dependence on imports for almost all our new entry-to-mid-level musical instruments. Where are Harmony, Regal, Stella, Kay et.al when we need 'em? Oh yeah, driven out of business a half-century ago by more attractive and marketable Asian imports.

Classic economic theory would propose, that new suppliers will be lured into starting up, by the higher price structure. Is that gonna happen? Takes a major capital investment to undertake manufacturing instruments on a higher-volume basis -- plus a major marketing campaign.

A good friend of mine here in Rochester undertook building American Acoustech guitars, using a combination of computer-controlled and hand-finished production, and utilizing domestic woods such as cherry and walnut for back and sides. He was in business for maybe seven years, made quite a few nice instruments aimed at the $4-700 range, but in the end couldn't compete without national marketing and distribution. Both my kids own American Acoustechs that I bought them as HS graduation gifts -- really nice guitars.

So I'm afraid we'll just have to pay the inflated prices that imports command, and hope that the supply chain bottlenecks are worked out. (Do you think that prices will come down when shipping costs do? Dream on, I'm afraid...) Alternatively, we can investigate the used market, support local builders, maybe even control our MAS...?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

11. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Understandable

Just read this article over the weekend and found it fascinating, albeit a bit scary. Very applicable to this thread:

https://medium.com/@ryan79z28/im-a-t...d-bbe0ebac6a91

14. The following members say thank you to DaveNils for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Inflation is here. I don't know how far it will go. The price of food, fuel, and 2 x 4s have all gone up significantly over the past year.
    We can talk about container ships, but that is only one factor.

Yes, we can make instruments in the US. Even if we source as many materials as possible from North America, something is going to have to come over an ocean, whether it be ebony, plastic, metal parts, finishing supplies; or tools and the parts necessary to maintain them, and shop supplies. Also, labor costs are increasing. And so is the price of North American lumber. Even with the best of efforts, it is more expensive to make them now than it was 2 years ago.

Despite certain exceptions, the price of many older used instruments has also been rising. Inventories of instruments are down, whether new, used, "vintage," domestic, or imported.

I rarely see prices go down after they go up. We did get a break on gasoline for a while, but that appears to be over.
    Inflation is here. Batten down the hatches. It's going to affect a lot more than the price of a new Eastman mandolin.

16. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    I doubt this has any impact on domestic builders since none of them play at this price point.
    Maybe not as much in the world of mandolin builders, but I know several people that build electric guitars, lap steels, etc. that are in the $1-2000 range that are in direct competition with Asian companies.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Frankly, I have been a bit surprised at the lack of “cost of living” price increases by some of the better known, sole proprietor builders. I haven’t done an exhaustive study by any stretch, but when I have looked into certain builders, the pricing seems to be pretty static in recent years.

For example, from what I have gathered via reading old MC threads, it sounds like Gil Model 5 prices haven’t really changed much since he reopened his list a number of years back.

Good news for buyers, I suppose. But my sense is that some may ratchet prices higher in the not too distant future. (At least that is one way I am justifying my otherwise reckless MAS spending 😏 )

Quote Originally Posted by Poa_Pratensis View Post
    Frankly, I have been a bit surprised at the lack of “cost of living” price increases by some of the better known, sole proprietor builders. I haven’t done an exhaustive study by any stretch, but when I have looked into certain builders, the pricing seems to be pretty static in recent years.

For example, from what I have gathered via reading old MC threads, it sounds like Gil Model 5 prices haven’t really changed much since he reopened his list a number of years back.

Good news for buyers, I suppose. But my sense is that some may ratchet prices higher in the not too distant future. (At least that is one way I am justifying my otherwise reckless MAS spending 😏 )
    In the case of Gilchrist mandolins, there is somewhat of a cost of living increase in the form of favorable currency exchange rate (well, favorable if your customers are predominantly US based, that is). See 10 year AUD to USD exchange rate below and note the downward trend. $25k USD 10 years ago was approximately equal to $25k AUD. Now, $25k USD is around $33k AUD.

Of course, this is not the case for domestic builders, nor does it reflect the general topic of the thread. I just thought it was an interesting tangent worth mentioning in response to the comment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211103-182242_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	214.5 KB 
ID:	197323

I just ordered a mandolin from a builder- not the top end of prices by any means- and he said he had just raised his prices and might do so again soon. He also said he'd hold the price that we agree to by the time he got the deposit. But yes it's out there.

I wonder how the "great resignation" labor shortage is affecting music stores?

I work in healthcare and EVERYBODY is short staffed so wages are going up.

I dont post much,these days, but ive been building for 28 years with hardly a price raise.
    One of my 2007 mandolins is in the classifieds
    For 900 bucks....better grab it, because I wont build another mandolin for less then $4500.00
    Us boutique builders are being slowly pushed out of business, and some builders with little or no experience build 4 mandolins and the price is $8,000.00. Go figure ???
    Barry Kratzer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Inflation is here. Batten down the hatches. It's going to affect a lot more than the price of a new Eastman mandolin.
    I am in full agreement withthe above sentiment, but have trouble thinking of cost increases due to supply chain issues as inflation. Though I admit it meets the definition. It seems to me that this source of price increases is more tangible than other, classic sources of inflation, like the declining value of currency or changes in demand.

FWIW, I have seen a LOT more double trailer semis (double lorries) here in the north of France recently. It seems to me that Europeans are fighting the shipping industry issues by adding capacity to the roads.

I couldn't say if it is working, but I have not noticed price increases outside of petrol (gas) and diesel.

Daniel

One thing we know for sure: the future is uncertain.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Nope. It’ll be here tomorrow.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

26. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Nope. It’ll be here tomorrow.
    Darn, just when I thought I had it all figured out.

28. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

Like Northfield it’s time to get creative...
    https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...-155m-donation

Price increases are going to be across the board, and I doubt there are other domestic companies who are going to be able to increase production anytime soon. Expect to pay more and wait longer. It’s the future.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Or in the words of Yogi Berra: "The future ain’t what it used to be."

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to James Vwaal For This Useful Post:

I wonder if there was a legitimately significant upswing in mandolin buying last year. I know that guitar sales were at record levels in 2020, and I feel like I heard similar things about pianos and keyboards. The unexcpected surge in demand (who could have expected a global pandemic to force everyone indoors and think, "Man, I'd like to learn to play guitar this year"?) no doubt put a hurting on inventories, which, when coupled with massive global supply chain breakdowns, is certainly making guitars pricier.

Guitars are actually more readily available than mandolins or banjos. But yes, lots more people are interested in learning to play. The projection for scarce inventory is through 2023.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNils View Post
    Just read this article over the weekend and found it fascinating, albeit a bit scary. Very applicable to this thread:

https://medium.com/@ryan79z28/im-a-t...d-bbe0ebac6a91
    Interesting article. A downer but the author seems to know what he is talking about