Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Price increases coming soon or already here

Default Re: Price increases coming soon or already here

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    Interesting article. A downer but the author seems to know what he is talking about
    The only problem is that he’s looking at the issue and the operations from one facet, one side, and does not have all the pieces of the puzzle. 18 months ago internet communications were somewhat rudimentary, but I have been amazed at how quickly companies like Zoom have enhanced their products. Expect improvements in logistics to move much quicker than they have in the last several decades. Expect companies like Amazon and Walmart to give the issue a giant push.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

2. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Here's something on the topic that was included in the most recent Gryphon Strings newsletter this week:

https://www.gryphonstrings.com/blogs...nd-accessories
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

4. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

I remember studying micro and macro economics in California one time.
    Inflation can actually continue just because people expect it to continue.
    Raising your prices becomes a habit.
    People buying less or buying maņana becomes a habit.

6. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

I have made a handful of stops into my local GC in the last couple years for strings, etc. Each time I've noticed fewer guitars on the wall than I've seen in 30 years. Yesterday my local GC was full of instruments, and the accessories racks were full as well, so it looks like the supply chain must be improving. But I also noticed prices across the board were higher than usual. I am amazed at what the higher-end guitars (mandolins, etc.) cost these days, but equally amazing is that it doesn't seem to matter what they cost, because someone will buy every single one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Orr View Post
    unexcpected surge in demand (who could have expected a global pandemic to force everyone indoors and think, "Man, I'd like to learn to play guitar this year"?)
    Probably means there will be a glut of instruments on the market in a few years, when all those with good intentions during the pandemic decide to get rid of the instruments they never learned to play ...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjbee For This Useful Post:

Just noticed the new Ellis F5 in the classifieds is close to 15k.

Quote Originally Posted by mjbee View Post
    Probably means there will be a glut of instruments on the market in a few years, when all those with good intentions during the pandemic decide to get rid of the instruments they never learned to play ...
    While not musical instrument specific, there was an article about pandemic hobby regret in the Washington Post recently.

Also have noticed that parts, especially mid priced mandolin tuners, seem to be difficult to come by right now.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Exclamation Re: [Import] Price increases coming soon or already here

Container Ship's capacity are measured in TEU;
    Twenty Foot Equivalent Units 8' x 8' x 20' ..

commonly maritime shipping containers are 2 TEU each 8x8x40'..

Not unusual for 1 ship , now, to hold 20,000 TEU ..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mjbee View Post
    I wouldn’t hedge a bet on that happening. With the minuscule output of mandolins being produced the last two years it would take at least five years for supply to eclipse demand creating a glut. That and people seem to be enjoying playing and participating in new things. Playing music is a great way to network, and I think people are starting to realize that. It’s also a great way to socialize.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Christensen View Post
    Just noticed the new Ellis F5 in the classifieds is close to 15k.
    Unlike many "new to the scene" mandolin builders who ask ridiculously high prices for their new F5 mandolins (of varying quality and sound), Tom Ellis is a true mandolin pioneer who, in my opinion, deserves whatever he charges for his impeccably-built, excellent-sounding mandolins. From a purely aesthetic point of view I don't think there are many that can do what Tom and his team accomplish. People pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for little, clear faceted stones set in platinum and gold... why shouldn't Tom's exquisitely beautiful mandolins be able to bring $15K?

Mark, in NO WAY I am I stating that you feel $15K is too much for one of Tom's Deluxe F5 models... I imagine you probably feel just the opposite. I am just pointing out that Tom is one of the long-time builders who has truly "earned his salt", while many of the new-to-the-scene builders will have to pay some more dues before charging (and receiving) premium prices.
    Last edited by Glassweb; Nov-14-2021 at 9:50pm.

15. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

Glassweb, just commenting on the first price increase I've personally noticed as per topic of the post. Since I own an Ellis mandolin I say more power to Tom and anyone else that feel they can build an instrument that warrants that price.

17. The following members say thank you to Mark Christensen for this post:

It has been my observation that when import prices rise so do domestic product prices. It is all a matter of what will the market bear.

Saw this add (NFI) on Reverb suggesting Collings has informed dealers of MAP increases planned for January. The suggested increase is approaching 5% of the retailer’s listed price, but I’m not sure if that is current MAP, or something lower.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C915A99C-3276-4E2F-A803-0D6900C37FAD.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	558.5 KB 
ID:	197805  

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    One thing we know for sure: the future is uncertain.
    David, dang your video library has a wealth of very cool music!
    i see where i'll be spending a lot of time for a good long while.

https://www.youtube.com/user/davidmold/videos

21. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Poa_Pratensis View Post
    Saw this add (NFI) on Reverb suggesting Collings has informed dealers of MAP increases planned for January. The suggested increase is approaching 5% of the retailer’s listed price, but I’m not sure if that is current MAP, or something lower.
    Collings has no MAP. The price is the price. What the ad is telling us, from that dealer is that if you buy it in 2021 the price is $5800. If you buy it in January it will cost you $275 more. Collings policy is to raise prices on all new inventory at their dealerships, not on anything made as of the date of the price increase. To be honest, there are so few mandolins coming out of Collings right now, and they’ve booked out their new orders through 2023, that might be one of the few MFO models you see listed for a while.

23. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Orr View Post
    I wonder if there was a legitimately significant upswing in mandolin buying last year...
    My son (who's into electric guitars) says the market here in UK for any kind of old Gibson Les Paul guitar has gone nuts in the last year or so, with far more private Ebay dealers ready to buy anything that they hope they can turn a few $00s on. His other thing is mountain biking, and many bike shops ran out of new stock and many spare parts in the last year, partly because so many come from Asia/China. I've noticed that some mandolin shops that post regular review vids (thanks guys) have a lot more gaps on the wall than they did a couple of years ago. Is that increased demand or short stock? Dunno, but I blame mountain bikers with mandolins in their backpacks.

25. The following members say thank you to maxr for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by maxr View Post
    My son (who's into electric guitars) says the market here in UK for any kind of old Gibson Les Paul guitar has gone nuts in the last year or so, with far more private Ebay dealers ready to buy anything that they hope they can turn a few $00s on. His other thing is mountain biking, and many bike shops ran out of new stock and many spare parts in the last year, partly because so many come from Asia/China. I've noticed that some mandolin shops that post regular review vids (thanks guys) have a lot more gaps on the wall than they did a couple of years ago. Is that increased demand or short stock? Dunno, but I blame mountain bikers with mandolins in their backpacks.
    It's lack of inventory and enormous demand coupled together. I had a dealer ask me politely not to pay in cash. He wanted trades. I had to laugh out loud at that one, but it is now not the first time a retailer has made that request, and it's not going to be the last either.

27. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

maxr 

Blog Entries

Wow... helping some dealers edit their classifieds postings. Some of these increases are a bit beyond eye popping. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    It's lack of inventory and enormous demand coupled together. I had a dealer ask me politely not to pay in cash. He wanted trades. I had to laugh out loud at that one, but it is now not the first time a retailer has made that request, and it's not going to be the last either.
    Crazy. But makes sense.

Luckily, old bowlbacks are going pretty cheap still.
    Zachary Graft
    Celtic and Christian fiddle and mandolin music
    zacharygraft.com
    facebook.com/zacharygraftmusic
    youtube.com/c/zacharygraft

Blog Entries

It's lack of inventory and enormous demand coupled together. ...
    Wow, it's strange to see the words "enormous demand" in the mandolin context. Not that I doubt it relative to the mandolin world.

But I wonder if that's across the board for any musical instrument, or just select few.

The statistical analyst inside me is churning numbers.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Wow... helping some dealers edit their classifieds postings. Some of these increases are a bit beyond eye popping. Ouch.
    At quick glance it looks like the Eastman offerings are around a $100 more now. Ouch indeed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jcdraayer View Post
    At quick glance it looks like the Eastman offerings are around a $100 more now. Ouch indeed
    Certainly some in the range you specify, but some more pricey models are up $600 and more.

When I worked for Eldon Stutzman back in the Cretaceous Period (actually, early 1970's), he wouldn't sell anyone -- me included -- a Gibson mandolin unless the customer had a Gibson mandolin to trade in. Luckily, I had the 'teens A-1 I found in my grandfather's attic, so I was able to buy an F-2, then later trade the F-2 in on at F-5. Just weren't any new Gibsons around, and those that were -- well, this was just pre-F-5L, so quality was sketchy.

As for "enormous demand," I guess that's when three people want the same Northfield. We're talking mandolins here, right? Dealers with "huge inventories" have, say, a couple dozen. Dealers with huge guitar inventories have a couple hundred.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    As for "enormous demand," I guess that's when three people want the same Northfield. We're talking mandolins here, right? Dealers with "huge inventories" have, say, a couple dozen. Dealers with huge guitar inventories have a couple hundred.
    Some maando stores may carry significant stock. I was looking at the website of one of the better known US mando shops a few days back, they had the Eastman 315 at a good price, listed as cosmetic blemishes. The listing said something like 'Minor cosmetic blemishes - don't ask what because we have 15 of these (ie this one model) to sell'. One of the bigger (the biggest?) UK mandolin dealers lists stock numbers of instruments in all of their stores and their web warehouse. Last week when I looked they had something like 13 Kentucky 250s and a similar number of 150s in stock.

35. The following members say thank you to maxr for this post:

I don't think that any dealer has a couple dozen mandolins in stock these days. Are we talking a couple dozen Eastmans and Kentuckys? Stores like Elderly, TME had at least ten higher end mandolins most of the time. Right now, the stock wavers, and if they could have a couple dozen they would. But those days are gone. Lots of empty space on racks.

Enormous demand is when people call the shop on Monday morning looking for a Northfield, knowing that the deliveries coming in will get there Thursday morning. Or calling and putting a deposit on something that is still in build. Enormous demand is when you put a new price on a used instrument and three people call to buy it within an hour of it hitting the website.

Enormous demand is a behavior, and it's not defined by sales numbers alone.

And yes, there are a lot more guitars out there than mandolins, and only because there are a lot more builders, but if you check Reverb, things are looking rather sparse there too.

37. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post: