Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Price increases coming soon or already here

Default Re: Price increases coming soon or already here

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Certainly some in the range you specify, but some more pricey models are up $600 and more.
    WOW - that is extremely painful. New and used inventory alike?

Teacher, repair person

When new instruments go up in price, used ones usually follow, sooner or later.
    When demand exceeds supply, it's usually sooner.

3. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

A great time to sit back and enjoy what you've got! Except for that guitar I have on order. And do I try old time banjo a third time??? Decisions, decisions.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jcdraayer View Post
    WOW - that is extremely painful. New and used inventory alike?
    This is only about new pricing manufacturers are pushing out to retailers. Used markets and their related pricing, as others have observed, sort of create themselves.

In relation to stock currently carried - the biggest chain of folk instrument shops in UK (easily - 9 shops and a web warehouse), are currently listing 351 regular mandolins (not mandolas etc) in 47 different models. I don't know if that's good or bad, but there it is

Quote Originally Posted by maxr View Post
    In relation to stock currently carried - the biggest chain of folk instrument shops in UK (easily - 9 shops and a web warehouse), are currently listing 351 regular mandolins (not mandolas etc) in 47 different models. I don't know if that's good or bad, but there it is
    -on Amazon, Here in France, they are still offering the same instruments (my octave mandolin is one of them) at pretty much the same prices. In some cases the prices are 5 to 7% more, but before Covid they did vary more than that, up and down. This is actually quite reassuring. The problem at the moment though is that there is a little text underneath each instrument In French that says, this instrument is presently unavailable.

These economic issues, tariffs etc (and even Covid, in my opinion) are all linked to the global political/border situation that we are in at the moment.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...une-in-silence

In terms of economics though, the biggest danger I feel is that the prices of mandolins will increase to such an extent that people Will just lose interest in looking at or or even playing the mandolin. -Think concertina.
    (There are plenty of cheap good quality ukuleles about, and lots of ukulele social groups).

I suspect mandolin has a strong background constituency of people who want to play fiddle style tunes, and that may support sales. If you're a guitarist, it's a much quicker learn than fiddle, and probably less painful for those around you?

It's inevitable that prices would rise given increased cost to every stage of the process to get an instrument to the consumer. At least the price increases are less overall than what is going on in new auto sales. I saw one dealer on the west coast that added $7,000 "Market Adjustment" to every new auto they sell. It's less in a lot of places but still present everywhere that I've checked. If you're buying any product today, and it's shipped any distance at all, the price will increase eventually (probably sooner than later).