Thread: Mike Marshall interview

Registered User Matt Hutchinson's Avatar

Default Mike Marshall interview

Hi. I run a podcast called Bluegrass Jam Along. I normally keep updates about it to the 'Jams, workshops...' section of the forum to avoid spamming too much, but I thought this one might be of wider interest so am posting here too.

I spent an hour yesterday chatting with Mike Marshall for the podcast and the interview has just gone live. Mike's not only an incredible musician, he's also (as many of you know already) a generous and fascinating human being too. I loved doing this one and hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed recording it.

Here's the link - Mike Marshall interview

Cheers,
    Matt

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Matt Hutchinson For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Mike Marshall interview

Hi Matt,
    Thanks for sharing this, I thought that was a very interesting discussion.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mike about 10 years ago when I went to a course in Germany run by the European Guitar and Mandolin Association, I don't know if they still exist - I learnt about the event on this website. Don Stiernberg and Caterina Lichtenberg were also teaching there. I had a blast and also had a go on Mike's loar which was incredible. He is so good and interesting to listen to, I thought your questions and points were interesting too.
    Last edited by Paul Cowham; Nov-04-2021 at 8:03pm.

Blog Entries

Loving listening to that podcast Matt.
    Nice to have time to explore subjects in an unhurried way with him. Like you say a very generous person.
    He even came down with Caterina to perform in a local venue as one of two UK concerts they did in 2019. He is alway curious, interested to hear what others say and seems genuinely chuffed to be able to live life through his mandolin journey.
    His thoughts in your interview on how to assimilate the volume of available information and needing to give everything time to grow the internalising of the meaning resonate a lot with my journey. My only solution so far is serial immersion/back-burner/move to the next genre/re-finding ad-infinitum.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Years ago, after watching a performance with Edgar Meyer and Mike, I stood in line for MM to autograph my MM instructional booklet. After asking if I played, Mike asked me what I played. I mumbled something about just noodling around but I've always wondered, was he asking what type of music I played or what instrument/s do I own? Thoughts?

Mike did an hour and a half talk for the Modern Mandolin Camp yesterday. After listening to him tell stories about gigs and talk about his approach to a playing, listening to others, I'd have to say, if he asked what you play, it was a pretty general question, and the conversation would have gone in any direction you wanted. The cat has chops and his head and his heart are.just full of music and life in general. I am so glad that Jake Schepps is recording this stuff because it's enough material to work on for the rest of your life.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Registered User Matt Hutchinson's Avatar

Thank Paul and Eoin - it was a lot of fun to record and I’m thrilled I get the opportunity to have conversations like these. Really glad you enjoyed it. Mike’s definitely a really interesting (and interested) guy and very generous!