Thread: Octave Mandolin advice

Default Octave Mandolin advice

I bought my first mandolin recently and I’m enjoying it more than I thought I would. However, I think it’s more the process of learning and playing than the actual sound of the mandolin which is very “bright” that I enjoy.

Now, I’m thinking about an octave mandolin. In central Oklahoma, I’m not likely to find an OM to evaluate in person. Even online, it’s difficult to find one for sale. I’ve listened to a lot of OMs online and, as one would expect, there are significant differences in sound.

I really like the sound of the Clark OM. Of course, it’s the most expensive and has a 20 month waitlist. At my age, the almost 2 year wait is as much or more of an obstacle than the cost.

Northfields appear to sound almost as good, so that’s a candidate. Pono makes several models and there are lots of videos of them on YouTube. Their sound quality seems to vary quite a bit. That may be as much the influence of the recording as it is the instrument. Anyone in here have any firsthand experience with a Pono?

I know Weber makes one as does Eastman, but not as fond of the sound of those. Any suggestions for an OM with a deeper, richer sound?

Default Re: Octave Mandolin advice

Quote Originally Posted by GChris View Post
    I know Weber makes one...
    Slight correction, Weber made them. Weber is not making any mando family instruments at the moment (and I suspect they won't be for the foreseeable future). This used Weber Bighorn Octave just popped up. Without having played it, I can't comment on it specifically, but I imagine it would match your description of an octave with a deeper, richer sound.
    Last edited by bradeasley; Nov-05-2021 at 12:26pm.

3. The following members say thank you to bradeasley for this post:

GChris 

Registered User Christine Robins's Avatar

I had a Pono, ended up selling it. Just didn't feel right. Now I play baritone ukes tuned GDAE. (One has all-metal strings.) GDAE tenor guitars are another option.

In my experience, long-scale 5ths-tuned instruments make melodies harder to play, but produce fuller and more sustaining chords. But many easy mando chords are not practical on a longer-scale instrument, and more challenging keys become even more challenging. I end up using both 4th fingers and open strings a lot more than with mando.. All depends on why you want an OM. I use my GDAE bari ukes to accompany my singing, rather than playing anything fast or fancy.

5. The following members say thank you to Christine Robins for this post:

GChris 

I got a Northfield flat top just a few weeks ago and I really like it so far. It's kind of guitary sounding with the flat top and oval hole and if you were playing it with others it might well sound like a nice mellow, slightly higher pitched guitar playing rhythm. Open chords sound really great on it. But it's also still octave mandolinny for melody -- the 22" scale takes some mandolin tunes out for me, but I can play more of them than I expected. Plus it's very comfortable to play - it's not nearly as thick in the body as a guitar and sits very comfortably. I was like you, I like the Clark, but wasn't going to wait 2 years for one. Quite happy with the Northfield.

I also have a Weber Bitterroot A style with an oval hole. Completely different instrument, much more mandolinny and the 20" scale puts all of my tunes in play.

I'd recommend either one. It really just depends on if you want the more traditional Weber or the sort-of-hybrid Northfield.

7. The following members say thank you to adam e for this post:

GChris 

I used to have an Eastman MDO305 & now play a Weber Gallatin OM which I really like. I don't think traditional OM tone vs GBOMs make them comparable though. To be fair, I'm actively looking at GBOMs so...I don't have any personal experience with Ponos but I like a short scale OM.
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

9. The following members say thank you to urobouros for this post:

GChris 

After nearly 40 years' use of one, I unhesitatingly recommend hunting up a used Flatiron "bouzouki" like my koa-bodied 3K. Here's one at a dealer's, and here's a Cafe thread discussing them.

They seem to be on the market for a bit more than $1K, and crop up fairly regularly. Big neck, longer scale, serviceable but un-special tuners. I've played the "whatever" outa mine since I bought it new in the mid-1980's. You have to like the "pancake" design -- some don't -- but mine, at least, has as much low-end as I'd ever want, and it plays fine with regular D'Addario OM strings.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

A few years back I drove out from San Diego to The Mandolin Store when they were still in Phoenix for a weekend of hiking and mandolin/guitar shopping. I didn't expect to like the Pono Terse shaped flat top octave mandolin as much as I did. I was certain that an arch top OM would be what I would like but was disappointed with the few Eastman Archtop A style OMs that they had. The Pono really stood out. The flat top design really seemed to work for the longer scale giving lots of sustain and nice blended chord tones like a good flat top does and I quickly found myself adapting some of my mandolin repertoire to it. If they had had a rosewood version in stock I probably would have taken one home.

Currently I'm jonesin' for a Northfield maple Archtop OM or one of the new Mandolindo Octolindos but I haven't had a chance to play either yet. A Pono OM may still be in my future.
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

Before you spend money on an OM, take an old guitar and string up the top four strings, G,D,A,E. Then see how well you do with the stretches.

I was given this advice when I was thinking of getting a tenor guitar. I tried it and gave up in frustration.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

just get the Eastman MDO-305 and learn your grips. I really liked going to the D'Adderio Mandola string set. I still keep the octave tuning; however.

I'm newly retired and play mostly for the birds and dogs. I thought (think) of getting a custom job, but, the Eastman is a real instrument and great fun for me to learn on.

I spent many years flipping mandolins. I know the joys of trying different makers and small bench-made luthiers. That said, it can become quite a journey - at least it was (is?) for me and mandolins. All that said, I just happy with my Eastman!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A872EF44-430A-4D22-9D58-791578FCDE3A.jpeg 
Views:	95 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	197354

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    Before you spend money on an OM, take an old guitar and string up the top four strings, G,D,A,E. Then see how well you do with the stretches.

I was given this advice when I was thinking of getting a tenor guitar. I tried it and gave up in frustration.
    I'd be wary of that particular comparison unless it's a short scale acoustic guitar.
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

If you're thinking luthier built I'd suggest Tom (TJ) Jessen. I think his builds are the essence of deep, dark resonance. Maybe it has something to do with the redwood tops? Prices are very reasonable too for what you're getting. NFI but it looks like he has an F4 style octave currently available. I have a gbom he built for me a few years back and it's a pleasure to play. His website is https://www.cricketfiddle.com and here's a sound sample of him playing the instrument that seems to be available for sale on his website. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD07oJ6hzuk Good luck with your hunt!

Well, no wonder you were frustrated! No OMs have a scale as long as an acoustic guitar. Guitars are between 25.5" and 24.75". That's basically mandocello scale where the stretch is definitely a bear with 5ths string tuning. OMs are usually either 22" or 20" for scale length which is more manageable.

You could approximate the stretch with a capo on an acoustic guitar at a scale length to the bridge that is close to the scale of a 22" or 20" OM.

Personally, I like the longer 22" scale for the added sustain and "growl" on an archtop OM, and can manage the stretch. But my hands are fairly large, and I don't try to play the faster tunes on an OM.

Quote Originally Posted by GChris View Post
    Now, I’m thinking about an octave mandolin. In central Oklahoma, I’m not likely to find an OM to evaluate in person. Even online, it’s difficult to find one for sale. I’ve listened to a lot of OMs online and, as one would expect, there are significant differences in sound.
    Central Oklahoma? How far are you from Lawrence, Kansas? Mike Black is a luthier in Lawrence who builds mandolins and guitar-bodied OMs. I drove down to a wedding once in Oklahoma City and passed through Lawrence, stopping at Mike's place to view the wood he was using on a mandolin that he built for me. So, I know that a day trip is do-able from OC to Lawrence and back. Just a suggestion. He might have an OM on hand that you could trial.

NFI on my part.

http://blackmandolins.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Well, no wonder you were frustrated! No OMs have a scale as long as an acoustic guitar.
    You guys are right. It was a tenor guitar I was thinking of trying.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

flyfishermandolinist

I’m stoked on my Pono. I have traditionally been more partial to the arch top and f hole sound, and have played large mandos of those types for a long time, but with my latest axe the main goal was playability and price, and the pono had those I going for it. I wouldn’t have bought it without playing it but once I did I just loved it so much. I don’t miss the marshmallowey chunk I loved about the larger arch/ff instruments especially as I have played it a bit more. I actually like the guitary straightforwardness. I got the shelter scale Pono; I think it’s 20”. I love the vibe of a flatiron bouzouki, but again on a practical note I like the comfort of the guitar shape body for playing while sitting.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Vwaal View Post
    How far are you from Lawrence, Kansas? Mike Black is a luthier in Lawrence who builds mandolins and guitar-bodied OMs. I drove down to a wedding once in Oklahoma City and passed through Lawrence, stopping at Mike's place to view the wood he was using on a mandolin that he built for me.
    Does Mike use nice wood on his octaves?

Name:	DF2F3A84-179D-46F8-B3E7-5B93943CA11C.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	197363

Name:	0A674F6E-F160-4C53-B368-2E867FA5DEED.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	197364

Name:	D4776F47-78BB-4B58-82FE-B2DA7A219DB0.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	197365

Name:	AD100609-398E-49DC-935E-E2BB2C04D2E9.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	197366
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I would recommend this Girouard octave that just landed in the classifieds.....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/178408#178408

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

This Weber just landed too....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/178618#178618

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

i remember wanting every mandolin family instrument. The mandola was well made and good sounding for a mandola, which was the problem - it wasn't different enough from the mandolin and the overall nasal tone didn't work for me. Mandocellos were no better and i really wanted an octave but they didn't sound like I wanted.
    So i ended up with a converted 4 string tenor guitar tuned an octave below mandolin, which works just fine. The moral of my story is to listen and look at the same time.

24. The following members say thank you to dan in va for this post:

GChris 

You guys are right. It was a tenor guitar I was thinking of trying.
    No tenor guitar has a scale length as long as an acoustic guitar either - my tenor has a 23 inch scale length which would be at the top end of tenor guitar scale lengths - anything over that and you're moving into plectrum guitar territory.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

26. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post: