Thread: Cochlear Implant

Default Cochlear Implant

Y'all are always a wealth of information, so, hopefully, there will be somebody here who can speak from experience on this issue. Due to a virus about 5 years ago, I lost most of my hearing and have been using Bone Anchor Hearing Aids since that time, and have been quite satisfied. However, at my most recent audiologist's appointment, testing revealed that I had lost significantly more hearing in one ear to the point that I am now a candidate for a cochlear implant. I have been told that these alter the sound of music considerably and that it takes some time to adjust. Does anyone out there have any experience related to this situation? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks and y'all have a great weekend.
    Jim Armstrong

1924 Gibson A-1 Snakehead
    2017 Silverangel F
    1979 Martin D-19

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Default Re: Cochlear Implant

I have absolutely no clue about this... but...

David McLaughlin suffered an allmost total hearing loss which he fought with some special hearing devices. There´s a thread on mandolincafe. There was also this on bluegrasstoday: https://bluegrasstoday.com/david-mcl...-hearing-loss/
    Maybe this can help you some or get you in contact with David, as you´re in the same boat and I am sure he will be well willing to share his travels concerning to retain whatever´s left of his hearing.

All the best, and God bless.
    Olaf

I've considered bone anchor conductive hearing aids but I can still live with OTE hearing aids. I could see where the cochlear implants might alter sound. Even the electronic hearing I've had for over a decade is "different" from natural hearing. Adjusting to hearing aids took me a lot longer than what I thought, too. Following this
    Last edited by FredK; Nov-06-2021 at 1:10am. Reason: added comment
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

I have a friend who was born deaf, and who had a cochlear implant installed about ten years ago. The surgery has allowed her to become a big music fan, which is major since she had never heard music prior to having the device installed. It's been truly life-changing for her.

I've since done some further research on the procedure for a couple of elderly family members who have serious hearing loss. My understanding is that the actual procedure takes about four hours, and that Medicare (and presumably some other insurance programs) will cover it. (Otherwise it costs about $100K.)