Thread: moving my collection to Europe

Default moving my collection to Europe

Anybody have suggestions for moving my collection of about 12 mandolin family instruments to my new home in Italy from my old one in the USA?

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Re: moving my collection to Europe

Be aware of any CITES regulations and have your CITES Certificate if needed. Learn CITES regulations better than Customs Officers know them and have regulations in hand in the event that you run into an overly zealous agent.
    Good luck with your move!
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pittsburgh Bill For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    Be aware of any CITES regulations and have your CITES Certificate if needed. Learn CITES regulations better than Customs Officers know them and have regulations in hand in the event that you run into an overly zealous agent.
    Good luck with your move!
    Thanks for the advice. I have two instruments from the 1930's a Gibson A-0 and a National resonator mandolin. I have no idea if they have any thing requiring a CITES permit and though I have searched I can find nothing that tells me what species they contain nor where to get them tested. Is there a source that lists which instruments need to be permitted. To get the permit the first thing I need to know is what species I am getting the permit for, obviously since I don't know I can't begin. This has been an ongoing dilemma since I bought the Gibson in Paris about 7 years ago. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Teacher, repair person

Assume that any rosewood in instruments of that age is Brazilian rosewood, and will require a CITES I permit.
    That should take care of any US export requirements.
    Italy may or may not have additional requirements that will have to be satisfied.
    If there is no Brazilian rosewood in any of your instruments, you will probably be okay.
    If you still have any paperwork left over from the Gibson, it will be helpful.
    If you cannot handle this yourself, you might want to call Vintage Instruments in Philly and see if they will take care of it for you.
    They would have to be paid for their services.

Put them into storage in the States and each time you go back to the US for Christmas etc you pick up a mando and carry it with you on the plane back to Italy.
    No problem.
    You carry two mandos or more on the plane then it’s question time.

Going from France to UK is quite different now with a ‘British’ passport that isn’t as European as it was.

I’ve always found that the best time to hit the French customs is during their three hour lunch break!

8. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Are you moving alone, or are other family members going with you? If you can carry two, so can all other family members. Take your favorites and bring the rest the next trip. Just a thought.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I'd check Import Duties (Declarations to Italian Customs ) to keep from paying taxes on your own stuff ..

the one at a time thing may help..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

<spam>
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Apr-25-2022 at 8:33am.

Be aware also of mother of pearl inlays. I exported a Gibson F4 from the USA last year, and all the customs process was around getting a pearl permit (the wood content was fine- no rosewood). Here's the form that was involved:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	199107

If it were me, I'd get a professional moving/shipping company involved. A company that has experience with all this and can take care of all the paperwork.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

My first thought at seeing your post was that you were wondering about the physical aspects of safely moving a large number of instruments such a great distance. I'm a bit surprised but impressed that so many people's first thoughts were about the legal aspects of the move and how knowledgeable they are on the subject.

As to the physical move, I suggest you purchase a large steamer trunk, pack all the instruments in there, and transport them and yourself on a sea voyage. A couple of weeks at sea and you're there, and most likely with several stories to tell for the rest of your life.

I'm also wondering why you say "about 12 instruments." I would think there would be an exact number, not an estimate.

Anyway, buon viaggio!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

When I worked for a state arts agency, we sometimes would arrange transportation for $ million dollar paintings, etc. They always came in a wooden crate. I don't know the cost, but maybe all instruments could fit into a large crate. I would assume it would be climate controlled, but probably need to ask.

More recently, I've sold on eBay and once in a while I ship a guitar to Europe in a cardboard guitar box with proper packing, etc. Usually the cost is several hundred dollars for one instrument, so maybe sending as a group would be more cost effective.

As far as the customs declaration, I try to be as brief and vague as possible. In other words, I write "used guitar and case" rather than "1942 Martin D-28, containing Brazilian rosewood." Make them do the research. Sometimes lunchtime or laziness prevails....

Jeff, if it costs a couple of hundred dollars to ship then it would be better to plan a trip to a ‘foreign’ music camp and then bring the mando back in the plane.

16. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

I have a feeling that the OP has already moved about a year and a half ago. I wonder how it went and how he did it. OTOH there is some good info here.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post: