Thread: Vintage narrow frets source

Default Vintage narrow frets source

Restoring (loosely speaking) a 1900s Favilla (Aquila) flat mandolin, just found in the Goodwill bin. Looking solid, but frets need attention. They are .040” wide, and the slots are .019, probably cut at .020”. These are not ‘bars’ but T-shape. Anyone sell such a thing? Just like to keep things looking original, since this one possibly is historically worthwhile.
    Also, other than what S-M has, is there a supplier of ivory celluloid small tuner buttons? Only need one, but it wouldn’t hurt to have a small supply. Doesn’t matter what they’re drilled for - tuner shafts are mold-on type.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Vintage narrow frets source

Old tenor banjo necks, old mandolin fingerboards, various old sources from which to salvage such frets. Also, save the ones you can and re-use them. usually only 5 to 7 frets are worn out.
    (I used a large portion of my stash of old frets in a Loar a year or so ago, so that might give you some idea of how much I value them. Not sure I would use them in a Favilla...)

3. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Vintage narrow frets source

I also save old frets. I wish I had started sooner. I agree with John-- I probably wouldn't use them in a Favilla either.

You have a couple of choices if you use new wire. The closest is the small stainless wire made by Jescar, with a crown width of .040" and a crown height of .039". One source is www.axinc.net. The next is the Stewmac #0764, .053" wide x .037" high. I've used the 53 x 37 wire quite a few times with good results.

Dunlop makes some very narrow fretwire also: #6320, .047 wide x .029" high; and #6330, .043" wide x .031" high. But I do not use either of these wires-- the crown height is too low for me to consider it to be suitable for new fret work. But you can try it if you like.

5. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post: