Thread: Nut File Size vs String Size

Default Nut File Size vs String Size

I’m brand new to the forum here, and brand new to owning a mandolin and learning to play. As a newbie I’m going with D’Addario EJ73s until I toughen up my fingers. I bought an Eastman MD315 as my first mandolin.

That said I need to lower my first fret string heights, and I purchased some MusicNomad nut files in the sizes of 13-17-28-42. I bought them for medium strings before I decided to go with the light set at 10-14-24-38.

Should I be worried about the extra 3-4 thousandths when I go to lower the strings? Most of what I’ve found online tells me that shouldn’t be an issue, but I figured this would be the best place to ask.

Thanks!

Default Re: Nut File Size vs String Size

0.003" isn't enough to worry about IMO. On the wound strings especially it helps to have an extra thousandth or two to avoid binding.

Here's a thorough treatise on the subject, especially helpful on the shape of the slot:

http://www.lutherie.net/nuts.html

Teacher, repair person

If you've ever worked in an engineering department, you learn that a 1/4" bolt will not fit through a 1/4" hole without binding.
    The same is true with strings and nut slots.

4. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Thank you both!

The slots will be okay just a slight bit over but the strings should only go up half the thickness in the slot.. But the nut slot should slope away towards the tuners.. Same at the bridge, sloping away towards the tailpiece.. Just might cause some viberation ...
    kterry

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    Here's a thorough treatise on the subject, especially helpful on the shape of the slot:

http://www.lutherie.net/nuts.html
    And this is why I look to a competent luthier for such repairs. At this point in my life, I have no inclination to collect the tools and learn through mistakes.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Quote Originally Posted by kgear59 View Post
    I’m brand new to the forum here, and brand new to owning a mandolin and learning to play. As a newbie I’m going with D’Addario EJ73s until I toughen up my fingers. I bought an Eastman MD315 as my first mandolin.

That said I need to lower my first fret string heights, and I purchased some MusicNomad nut files in the sizes of 13-17-28-42. I bought them for medium strings before I decided to go with the light set at 10-14-24-38.

Should I be worried about the extra 3-4 thousandths when I go to lower the strings? Most of what I’ve found online tells me that shouldn’t be an issue, but I figured this would be the best place to ask.

Thanks!
    In my experience trying to match a string radius in the nut or bridge is a waste of time. If it's too tight there's binding. If too loose you only have one point of contact and less control of where your string centers, and maybe vibration where the string meets the wood loosely, which can take away energy. With a "V" shaped nick you have 2 points of contact and the string is firmly positioned. Many people will argue against this but this way is simpler and better IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by briankwood View Post
    In my experience trying to match a string radius in the nut or bridge is a waste of time. If it's too tight there's binding. If too loose you only have one point of contact and less control of where your string centers, and maybe vibration where the string meets the wood loosely, which can take away energy. With a "V" shaped nick you have 2 points of contact and the string is firmly positioned. Many people will argue against this but this way is simpler and better IMO.
    If that were the case, you wouldn't see experienced luthiers spending $100 on a set of nut files. The V-shaped nick is an invitation to string binding in the slot, especially with wound strings. It can make tuning very frustrating IMO.

As I said, many people will disagree. I disagree with you for the reasons I stated. The V shaped nick frees the string from binding, it doesn't cause it. I won't press the issue further. I'm sure good results can be got by your method too.