Thread: Stewmac Golden Age tuners

Default Stewmac Golden Age tuners

A few months ago I mentioned on the forum that I had fitted Stewmac Golden Age tuners to my 1919 F4. Someone replied insinuating that it was a ridiculous idea and that in a few months they would turn out to be 'not good enough'. I think he was saying you need much higher quality and giving the Stewmac the thumbs down.

As it happens in 1924 Gibson changed the spacings on their Gibson tuners changed so modern ones would not work on a 1919 F4 unless you paid a fortune for custom ones. The Stewmacs (they make ones for pre 1924 Gibsons) are absolutely great. Work a treat so I'd have no hesitation at all in recommending them.
    Last edited by jimmy powells; Nov-09-2021 at 2:37pm. Reason: Type and more text

2. The following members say thank you to jimmy powells for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Stewmac Golden Age tuners

I've installed a few sets of them on old Gibson mandolins, and they worked well.

I also put a set of Golden Age tuners on my 12 string guitar, and they work a heck of a lot better than the old tuners that I took off. And no amount of cleaning and re-working would help those old tuners out. The last thing I want to do is wrestle with a set of tuners that don't work right.

The only gripe I've had with any of Stewmac's house brand tuners is that some models have shafts which I consider to be too long.
    As far as what others might say, some people are only happy with $35 picks, $100 straps, and $150 capos. For myself, I'm happy with what works.

4. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Golden Age relic brass with black buttons on my Duff f5. Smooth as butter and they look really nice IMO.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...andolin-tuners
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

You’re talking about two things here Jimmy. First there are the Golden Age tuners which have “modern” spacing and are meant for most post 1924 and modern mandolins and then you have the Golden Age “Restoration” tuners for pre. Circa. 1924 instruments which have a different hole spacing (see the StewMac site for exact dimensions).

As you’ve found, the restoration tuners are fine. Some people say the latest Golden Age tuners are also Ok but, for me, life’s too short to be bothered with them. My Clark GOM came with a set and binning them was the best thing I ever did.

I'm glad others have had a positive experience with Golden Age tuners. I had a set installed on my F5 and I find them to be difficult to turn, especially the E-string knobs. Tried taking them all apart, cleaning and lubing every part, and reassembling, to no avail. Still tough.
    I don't know if others have this problem but turning one slowly and watching my digital tuner, it goes flat, flat, flat, flat, SHARP! It skips right over in-tune.
    Saving up for a set of Waverlys.

Quote Originally Posted by KCNelson View Post
    I don't know if others have this problem but turning one slowly and watching my digital tuner, it goes flat, flat, flat, flat, SHARP! It skips right over in-tune.
    Sounds like a tight nut slot, maybe an issue with how the string is wrapped around the post. You might want to check that out before you plunk down the money for the Waverlys. YMMV.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

9. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by KCNelson View Post
    I'm glad others have had a positive experience with Golden Age tuners. I had a set installed on my F5 and I find them to be difficult to turn, especially the E-string knobs. Tried taking them all apart, cleaning and lubing every part, and reassembling, to no avail. Still tough.
    Saving up for a set of Waverlys.
    The jumping pitch is definitely a symptom of binding in the nut slot and likely not related to the tuners at all. I did work on a mando with those tuners the client had put on because he like the look of the knobs and they are an absolute bear, almost impossible to turn at times, I tried to convince him to let me replace them with Grover 309s- he wouldn't hear of it. In your case, I would consider Schaller Grandtunes for 1/3 of the price or Rubners (if you can get them).

The Collings MT-O I used to have came with Golden Age tuners and they were awful, nearly impossible to turn. I had them switched out for Rubners and was absolutely delighted with the switch. Glad the OP has had a good experience with the ones on their mandolin, but most of the complaints here have been about the standard Golden Age tuners, not the Restoration ones as far as I'm aware.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel