Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Electric mandolin.

Default Re: Electric mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinita View Post
    In your opinion, does an Eastman mandolin with K&K Duotone pickups, connecting it to an audio system mixer, need a preamp?
    I ask you this as I will buy an eastman.
    Yes, unless the mixer has a HiZ input.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by mbruno View Post
    Fairly sure you're not accurate here. A preamp is designed to increase gain (what I referred to as boosting the signal) to boost to line level. That is the main purpose of preamps. Gain doesn't mean "volume" as you can attenuate volume while keeping gain high (think dirty rock riffs). Input / Output buffers are designed to match impedance. While I know many preamps have buffers (LR Baggs builds them in for example), it doesn't mean all preamps have buffer. Most often these buffers are either in the DI (which could be in the preamp hardware, but is not the preamp itself) or as a standalone I/O Buffer pedal.
    You are correct for a preamp that is really a preamp. A preamp to boost a microphone for instance, is a real preamp. Most interface units for matching a piezo to a PA are not really a preamp, but seems to have gotten that term, and it doesn't seem to be going away any time soon. The Piezo is 1,000,000 ohms of impedance, the PA wants to see around 800-1200. It's primary function is to match the impedance of the piezo to the PA. Yes it has a volume and tone controls, well some do, mine only has a treble control. It is all it needs.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I think the thing that the OP seems to not understand is that you can buy any acoustic mandolin and just have someone install a pick-up, or you can do it yourself. Just to toss out a simple solution...buy a mando you like, buy a K&K twin, take it to a set-up guy/gal and have them install the thing and, BAM, you have a mando you can run directly into an amp. If your goal is to play through a PA, get a Fire Eye Red-Eye as a pre-amp, a quarter inch cable and and an XLR cable, and you're good-to-go. Also, you can always just buy a Shure 57 and play your mando into that if your goal is simply to record then thing in an mp3 format. Admittedly, you're going to need some way to hook your instrument mic into your computer, but you'd have the same issue running a mando into a computer. This obsession with only buying a mandolin that comes with a pre-installed pick-up just seems baffling to me, it's like only wanting to buy a car with certain speakers when, in reality, you can buy any car you want and then put in the speakers later.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I have used a lot of different preamps over the years, I have been using the RedEye for several years now. It is simple to use, has a good sound, and a boost switch. I added a mute switch in mine, but if you don't want the boost they will convert it to a mute switch for you. I wanted both so I did it myself. There are much more expensive and possible better sounding preamps, such as one that uses a mic to memorize your sound and help your piezo sound more like a mic. Depends how much you want to spend for the upgrade and how much you think that actually sounds better. The RedEye is small, easy to use, works with phantom power or battery, and is affordable. I have no financial interest in the company, just a satisfied user.
    Same here. They sound great, and they're engineered to not need a lot of adjustment. Closest thing to plug-and-play you'll find.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinita View Post
    I'm undecided between:
    1) Ortega RMFE100AVO
    4) Godin A8

Thank's
    Good! You're narrowing it down!

Get the Godin. Great, great Canadian company.

By the way, calling them electric misled me. Both are acoustic mandolins with onboard pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I would prefer without equalization on the instrument. Whatever preamp is on an instrument will be of dubious quality, while you can have a much better quality peamp that is external. You can also upgrade anytime, you are stuck with what is in the instrument.
    Yup. Preamps, amps, and PAs are all better places for EQing than onboard controls.

Get an instrument that just has a quarter-inch jack to plug your cable into — or get a good clamp-on jack.

Resident Hack

Of course, being the Cafe, I would be remiss if I didn't say

Just get something. If it's not perfect for all of your needs, you get a second one. If those don't cover all of your needs, rinse and repeat until satisfied.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

8. The following members say thank you to Mitch Stein for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Stein View Post
    Of course, being the Cafe, I would be remiss if I didn't say

Just get something. If it's not perfect for all of your needs, you get a second one. If those don't cover all of your needs, rinse and repeat until satisfied.
    and I would add that the joy of the mandolin is that you're never satisfied. There's always the factor of 'this is nice, but what i REALLY want is..." Have fun and enjoy the ride!

10. The following members say thank you to Leester for this post:

I have a Godin A8 and I do like it however I have problems with the volume in that some strings are louder than others. I have replaced the pickups with no improvement. The good news is it's loud enough to enjoy un-electrified.

Disappointed as the OP seems to have bailed out over a year ago and I never got to find out WTF is a "mp3 base...Mandolin and mp3 base amplified in an audio system"...
    too many strings

Quote Originally Posted by musicofanatic View Post
    Disappointed as the OP seems to have bailed out over a year ago and I never got to find out WTF is a "mp3 base...Mandolin and mp3 base amplified in an audio system"...
    Pretty safe to assume it meant a backing track. OP wanted to play mandolin along with an MP3 audio track.

I just bought a Mann 5 String Electric from a local fellow. My suggestion is skip the cheap stuff and spend a little extra for something like a Mann Mandolin. The tone and playability is first class. The sound that I’m getting is so good that my wife has come down the stairs at least twice to tell me how impressed she is with my new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    . . . Get an instrument that just has a quarter-inch jack to plug your cable into — or get a good clamp-on jack.
    Correction. I recently removed a clamp-on jack from my mandolin, and the transducer adhesive pulled off some of the finish. Luckily, the instrument was already a beater.

So get something that already has a pickup or have one installed. Don't get a clamp-on unless you don't care about the finish.

Question Re: Electric mandolin.

One thing Godin needed was a tailpiece that cantilevered out a lot closer to the bridge to increase the downforce on the bridge pickups..

it being semi acoustic It cannot be simply screwed down to the top like a solid body [had one kept having the top G string displaced while playing]

a 4 string with single string versions of that same pickup when installed it had a string guide closer to the bridge screwed down to the body.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I just purchased a Sparrow 4 string electric. Very pleased with the quality tone and price. Not an F or A style body; however, I highly recommend it. Nice electric mandolin for $549.00.