Thread: Cocaine and Rhinestones

Default Cocaine and Rhinestones

I did not realize Tyler Mahan Coe had started making new episodes of the Cocaine and Rhinestones podcast. I just got notification of a new one about George Jones and Tammy Wynette. Looking at his website, he has been making new ones since mid April of this year. I have a bunch of catching up to do.

For those of you not aware of it Cocaine and Rhinestones has been one of the best and most interesting sets of stories about the history of country music in any medium. It is highly recommended.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Cocaine and Rhinestones

Shouldn’t this advert be in the Classifieds?

Lame, Dude. Play some tunes why don’t you?!

Shouldn’t this advert be in the Classifieds?
    Lame, Dude. Play some tunes why don’t you?!
    I have no personal connection or vested interest in the podcast. I am sharing information about a podcast that I first heard about through the Cafe and that a lot of posters here have really enjoyed. It had been on hiatus for about two years and just resumed. If it is not your cup of tea you don't have to look at it.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

Season 2 is great, which is no surprise after the first season. I'm a big fan.

Thanks for the reminder about this excellent podcast by Tyler Mahan Coe, the son of David Allan Coe!

The episode about the Louvin Brothers has mandolin content (not surprising). Record producer Ken Nelson apparently told Ira that his mandolin was detrimental to sales of their music.

Here are a couple of quotes:

“This is maybe why Ken Nelson eventually says what has to be one of the Top 5 Stupidest Things Ever Spoken in a Nashville Recording Studio – and that’s saying something…

Still, Ken Nelson was no fool, which makes it difficult to understand or even guess why he would ever tell Ira Louvin that his mandolin was the reason Louvin Brothers records didn’t sell more.”
    Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

Season 1 of C & R was great, and I have recommended it to anyone who would listen to me. Season 2 is focused on George Jones, with the recent episodes concentrated on his stormy marriage with Tammy Wynette. Great series but be warned that the episodes run about 2 hours. I think two hours per is just a good start, but certainly not for everyone.

Podcasts come and go and while Cocaine and Rhinestones is, by far, the best podcast on 20th Century Country Music, it is, IMHO, one of the best podcasts ever! It's a perfect example of what a podcast should be.

I admit that the longer two hour per episode format of Season Two is the biggest reason why I'm so far behind but I'll catch up eventually.
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    I did not realize Tyler Mahan Coe had started making new episodes of the Cocaine and Rhinestones podcast. I just got notification of a new one about George Jones and Tammy Wynette. Looking at his website, he has been making new ones since mid April of this year. I have a bunch of catching up to do.

For those of you not aware of it Cocaine and Rhinestones has been one of the best and most interesting sets of stories about the history of country music in any medium. It is highly recommended.
    Thanks for posting this Carl. Ken Burns touched on this in "History Of Country Music". Sweet little "Stand By Your Man" Tammy Wynette. I had no idea...
    Eastman 515 Mando
    Gibson J-30 Guitar
    RK-80 Banjo