Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here's my sad mandolin story...

Default Re: Here's my sad mandolin story...

Beautiful Gilchrist!

That should get you off your Duff.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Levine View Post
    This is our struggle here. I can't provide any recent pics or sound clips since I don't have it... if all goes well tomorrow this may change. For now you will have to settle for some pics Mr. Gil took when he built it. http://www.gilchristmandolins.com/615
    Isn’t that one still listed in the classifieds?
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I have a close cousin to #615. Someone knowledgeable about mandolins, generally, and Steve’s work, specifically, once told me many built around this time were spec builds (i.e. not custom ordered). Therefore, they were voiced solely to Steve’s liking and, as a result, he suggested you often have to dig in pretty hard to get the best tone out of them.

I have no idea if this is true, but I always kinda liked the idea of it.

At any rate, I definitely can notice a big improvement in the tone after mine warms up a bit (more so than my other mandolins). And digging in is pure joy.

Congrats on the new mandolin. I can’t wait to hear the report.
    Last edited by Poa_Pratensis; Nov-18-2021 at 9:35pm.

Well it safely arrived today. It is definitely a beauty and has nice dry crispy tone. Plays really easily up the neck. Gonna let it season and get through the rest of the week. I hope to find some time to record it and post some pictures here in the next day or so.

Josh

6. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Holy cow, batman! From the pictures on SG´s website the mandolin is a beauty.

If possible, could you please play the Gil back to back with your Duff in the same clip.
    Olaf

It's really lovely. To me the back looks like clouds illuminated by the setting sun.

Glad this sad story has a happy ending...
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Hey Josh,

I'll happily send you a buck if you provide all of your fans here on the café with back to back to back recordings? I recall you have one additional mandolin in the house that hasn't been mentioned yet?

Your fans await!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Growth View Post
    Hey Josh,

I'll happily send you a buck if you provide all of your fans here on the café with back to back to back recordings? I recall you have one additional mandolin in the house that hasn't been mentioned yet?

Your fans await!
    I’d bet there’s more than one more…….
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Not all the clams are at the beach.

Well, here's a rough video. Not the best comparison since they have different age/type strings and the Gil is still setting in, but ask and you shall receive.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Josh Levine For This Useful Post:

Typical Gilchrist clarity. Both fine mandolins!!

That sounds really fantastic. Bring that thing over here!!
    2003 John Sullivan F5 "Roy"
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

Well thank you for the video! That was prompt. And nice in both the tone and the looks department.

Both are very fine instruments indeed. I do think that an in hand inspection would reveal a lot more.

I really like post 2000 Gils. They are very nice. And it´s no secret that I am partial to Paul Duff´s mandolins. I would really like to try one of his post 2006 tone bar mandolins.

Funny, as the years go by the feel of an instrument becomes more and more important. So far I´m lucky with my instruments.
    Olaf

Thanks. Not really a fair comparison, since I've only had the Gil a few days. It is a remarkable instrument, but I think it has been pretty quiet the last several years. Meanwhile I've played that Duff for 1000s of hours over the last few years. There is a learning curve. I am gonna have the fretboard scooped and the action raised just a touch on the Gil. It is low and plays really well all the way up, so I don't want to mess with that but I think it could come up a hair and then a few 1000 hours playing it and we can have a good comparison...

19. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Levine View Post
    Thanks. Not really a fair comparison, since I've only had the Gil a few days. It is a remarkable instrument, but I think it has been pretty quiet the last several years. Meanwhile I've played that Duff for 1000s of hours over the last few years. There is a learning curve. I am gonna have the fretboard scooped and the action raised just a touch on the Gil. It is low and plays really well all the way up, so I don't want to mess with that but I think it could come up a hair and then a few 1000 hours playing it and we can have a good comparison...
    Well, we can allways circle back to this thread a couple of a thousand hours later to have a Duff/Gil comparison..., nice, nice.

I don't know how y'all feel, but it seems to me that a great instrument tells you how it wants to be held and handled. The better the instrument is, the more obvious it is. Maybe you can throw in your five cents.
    Olaf

Congrats on a very fine mandolin...