Thread: Epiphone Mandobird VIII bridge question

Default Epiphone Mandobird VIII bridge question

Hello, I’m looking for some information about the Epiphone Mandobird VIII bridge, specifically the string spacing. If someone who owns one has the time to let me know the following measurements that’d be extremely helpful:

1. String spacing (1st-8th strings)
    2. Course spacing (centre of one pair to centre of another pair)

Essentially I’m building an electric octave mandolin and I’m trying to decide what kind of bridge to use. There are two choices:

1. Modify the saddles on a 4 string cigar box guitar bridge to allow string pairs.
    2. Use a Mandobird bridge.

The former would result in a 1st-8th string spacing of 34mm, my other mandolins all have a spacing of 39mm so I was wondering if the Mandobird bridge has a wider spacing and be better in that respect.

Default Re: Epiphone Mandobird VIII bridge question

Quote Originally Posted by Morthwyl View Post
    Hello, I’m looking for some information about the Epiphone Mandobird VIII bridge, specifically the string spacing. If someone who owns one has the time to let me know the following measurements that’d be extremely helpful:

1. String spacing (1st-8th strings)

Essentially I’m building an electric octave mandolin and I’m trying to decide what kind of bridge to use. There are two choices:

1. Modify the saddles on a 4 string cigar box guitar bridge to allow string pairs.
    2. Use a Mandobird bridge.

The former would result in a 1st-8th string spacing of 34mm, my other mandolins all have a spacing of 39mm so I was wondering if the Mandobird bridge has a wider spacing and be better in that respect.
    I happen to have a mandobird bridge lying around.
    Pretty darn close to 39mm by the looks of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9184C643-92E5-4CFC-83B8-9B3A52081653.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	672.9 KB 
ID:	197607  

I have a Mandobird VIII. I was not able to get the intonation right with the original bridge. The angle was fixed. I bought a replacement from Tom at Moongazer (he's sadly passed on now) with individual adjustable saddles like a tunematic.

IMO with a solid body electric there is no reason not to have a tunematic type bridge to allow proper intonation. I would recommend against using the OEM Mandobird bridge.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Morthwyl View Post
    Just a heads-up:
    Some like to maintain a consistent spacing in between the strings/courses, meaning that such center-to-center measurement increases as the string gauge increases. That may be less critical on mandolin than guitar, as the gauge difference across all mandolin courses approximates the gauge difference of a guitar's four higher strings.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Thanks for the picture and the replies everyone, great details all around. Based on the information, I’m inclined to go for the individual saddle route. Although I prefer the idea of the wider Mandobird spacing for consistency, the narrower option will probably not only intonate better but be more in line with the pickups I’ve ordered which have 12mm pole spacing. I might wedge something very thin between the saddles to marginally fan them out and increase/fine tune spacing for the poles if I feel it’s necessary.

On the last mandolin I built I put on a tune-o-matic bridge and humbuckers, both by Almuse. Naturally they’re tremendous but as he’s unfortunately not doing custom stuff anymore I thought I’d try using off-the-shelf hardware. I intend to make a tune-o-matic style bridge out of rosewood (with metal saddles) for a different five course project I’m doing though.

Also, thanks for the tip about the spacing. I tend to keep the string pairs equidistant at the bridge but do the gauge compensation at the nut as that’s the side where I feel it becomes noticeable.