Thread: Any musical stamp collectors out there?

Default Any musical stamp collectors out there?

The latest from Canada:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...tamp-1.6253946

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...tamp-1.6112494

Leonard Cohen, Paul Anka, Stompin' Tom Connors, Bryan Adams, Edith Butler, Bruce Cockburn, Maureen Forrester, Gordon Lightfoot, Joni Mitchell, Anna and Kate McGarrigle, Anne Murray, Oscar Peterson, Robbie Robertson, Mary Travers (La Bolduc), The Tragically Hip, Rush, The Guess Who, and Beau Dommage are among others previously honoured by the Post Office. (What, no Neil?) Nary a mandolin player among them, as far as I know, though I'd be surprised if Robbie couldn't play a tune on mandolin. .

Regarding the Stan Rogers write-up: there is no "Fogarty's Cove"; Stan made that up. (Check it out on Google maps. -- the only Fogarty's Cove there is Stan's family's music company in Dundas, Ontario, where Stan was from.) Stan's mother was from Canso, Nova Scotia.
    Last edited by Ranald; Nov-18-2021 at 10:01pm.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Default Re: Any musical stamp collectors out there?

Regarding the Stan Rogers write-up: there is no "Fogarty's Cove"; Stan made that up. (Check it out on Google maps. -- the only Fogarty's Cove there is Stan's family's music company in Dundas, Ontario, where Stan was from.) Stan's mother was from Canso, Nova Scotia.
    Next you will be telling me Barrett didn't have any privateers. ####### them all!

3. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    Next you will be telling me Barrett didn't have any privateers. ####### them all!
    Barrett's privateers were just as real as Euclid Barrett -- Stan made up him too. Stan had a good imagination, and read a great deal of history and historical fiction (e.g., Thomas Raddall's Nova Scotia novels). He did some songs about historical figures and events (e.g., "MacDonnell on The Heights"). He and Buffy both wrote many great songs. I'm happy to see them honoured at the same time. I've seen both perform a number of times. Here's a song that many people think is an old traditional ballad, but was written by Buffy, based on a story she was told by an Irishman. If the links don't work, search YouTube for "Buffy Sainte-Marie/ Johnny Be Fair".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py99...te-Marie-Topic

"I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."

5. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

CarlM 

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I wonder whether there's ever been a mandolin on a postage stamp - in America, that is. I'd be astonished if one hasn't graced an Italian one, perhaps several times. 'Tis a task for googling, in a while ...

But Buffy ... Good for her, good for Canada for honoring her. It was a great honor and privilege to have met her, and spent the better part of an hour with her. In the summer of 1996 she came to New Haven for a cultural festival, and was one of the top performers. I went to her press conference, as at the time I was writing for a music monthly. Most astonishingly, I was about the only journalist there. I couldn't believe it. Either no one knew who she was, and had done, or no one thought she was more than small potatoes. It was sad to see her so overlooked, but I reveled in my good fortune, being able to have that much time to talk with her uninterrupted - well, listen to her, actually, because she was very forthcoming with her opinions on a great many subjects. For instance, she went on a bit of a rant about Tom Cruise and the then-new "Mission: Impossible," as this represented to her the nadir of cinema - an emotionally vapid performance at the center of a two-hour exercise in meaningless cinematic pyrotechnics. Whether she knew it or not, she was quite prescient in discerning the direction cinema was taking. But what she talked about most, more than her music, was her painting, especially her computer art. This was a new field at the time, and she was at the forefront of it. She's gone on to create some fascinating art since then, too. She handed out to all attendees keepsakes - circular mousepads (Remember them? And mouses? With rollers on them?) with a photo of her on them. That was at the center of my desktop workstation ever since.

This winter I saw a documentary about her on Amazon Prime, which did a great job of telling her story - past, present, and future. All in all, the hour I spent with her and a few others was one of the high points of my journalistic career. I'm very much looking forward to seeing her again in the spring. I'm sure she will attend the celebration of Patrick Sky's life. They were close friends back in the day, and he appeared on her first three albums, also contributing the title track of her second, "Many A Mile." She's an extraordinary human being, vastly talented and accomplished, the recipient of dozens of awards, and an often-overlooked genius.

And her given name is Beverly (in case you were wondering).
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

7. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Ranald 

Thanks for that, Journeybear. It sounds like you had a great experience.#As you no doubt know, Buffy Sainte-Marie is a highly accomplished singer, songwriter, musician, educator, and high-tech innovator, among other things. She's highly respected in Canada, even more so among First Nations (indigenous) people. According to Buffy, during the Nixon era, political forces interfered with her musical path in the USA, where she'd been raised, though she only learned about this much later. When radio stations stopped playing her records and venues wouldn't book her, she thought , at the time, she'd just lost popularity. However, she retained her popularity in Canada ( a much smaller market) to the present day. And we have to give good ol' Sesame Street a nod too, for always supporting her. Buffy's eighty now. The last time I saw her, not long before co-vid, she was still dancing about on high heels like Tina Turner. Buffy Sainte-Marie always gives great performances that are not to be missed if she's in anyone's area.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    ... during the Nixon era, political forces interfered with her musical path in the USA ... stations stopped playing her records and venues wouldn't book her ...
    The wiki touches on that. The doc went into a fair amount of detail on her blacklisting, too. Tough times for her. But she has copious amounts of determination and made it through those tough times.

And we have to give good ol' Sesame Street a nod too, for always supporting her.
    Yes, yes, I was reminded of that. She was a mainstay of the program for years.

The last time I saw her, not long before co-vid, she was still dancing about on high heels like Tina Turner.
    So true. I think there was some of that near the end of the documentary. No mandolin in it, though ...

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

10. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Ranald 

Here's a story to illustrate how well known Buffy Sainte-Marie is in Canada. When my brother was in North Carolina a few years back doing a musical performance, he was shocked to hear his American host ask, "Have you heard of a singer called Buffy Sainte-Marie?" Had he heard of Buffy Sainte-Marie? That's like asking, Have you heard of Paul Simon? He thought everyone knew about Buffy. However, this woman had lost track of Buffy's career many years ago. She told him how she used to listen to Buffy and Taj Mahal play and sing on the campus lawn when they were students at her college (in Massachusetts, I believe). Buffy is Cree and was born in Saskatchewan, where she has spent considerable time during her adult life, though her home is in Hawaii.
    And that's the news from my home on Paul Anka Drive (seriously), Paul being the subject of another postage stamp.

First time I saw Buffy Sainte-Marie was in 1963 or '64, at Club 47 in Cambridge. Mike Seeger was the featured performer (hey, stop me if you've heard this one!), and Joan Baez had a concert in Boston that night. During Mike's second set, Joan B showed up at the ol' coffeehouse where she started out, and brought friends along: Eric Andersen, Tom Rush, Buffy, Bill Keith, Bob Siggins of the Charles River Valley Boys, probably others. Most of them got up up on stage and performed; Buffy did Codeine, and it was something to see a diminutive woman whose dreadnaught guitar obscured most of her body, it seemed, with that amazing voice.

Joan Baez did songs from her first album, including the Carter Family's Engine 143; as she frequently did, she forgot the words to the third verse; I was sitting in the front row singing along, and she looked at me, picked up the words, and gave me a big smile. Her backup was Mike Seeger on Autoharp, and Bob Siggins on guitar. Memorable night.

Later saw Buffy at an outdoor concert here in Rochester, probably in the '90's. On one song she held a note approximately forever. Amazing talent.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

By the way, here's a ten-year-old thread discussing a possible Bill Monroe commemorative US stamp; Google finds more discussion of it around 2014, when supposedly there was a design for it. Guess it hasn't been issued...?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

15. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Ranald 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I wonder whether there's ever been a mandolin on a postage stamp - in America, that is. I'd be astonished if one hasn't graced an Italian one, perhaps several times. 'Tis a task for googling, in a while ...
    Did that and there is plenty out there.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

And you didn't post examples?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stamp 1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	197661 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stamp 2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	197662 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stamp 3.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	197663 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stamp 5.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	197665 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stamp 4.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	753.9 KB 
ID:	197664 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stamp 6.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	280.1 KB 
ID:	197666

From around the world - but not Italy. And not the US.

19. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Ranald 

Blog Entries

I thought the honoree deserved representation ...

Name:	Stamp Buffy 1.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	197667 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stamp Buffy 2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	197668 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stamp Buffy 3.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	197669

Blog Entries

Hey! Found one. Sort of. It has a mandolinesque body but six strings, and no tuning pegs. And boy oh boy, its neck needs some work!

OK, so it's not exactly representational. Indeed, the artist's interest in verisimilitude is suspect, as evidenced by the bugle's rendering as well. But hey - at a glance, which is usually all the attention such examples of artwork get, it's at least something.

Name:	Stamp Mandolin US.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	314.3 KB 
ID:	197671