Thread: Information Request: Washburn M-3S-BR 813961 oval hole A model

Question Information Request: Washburn M-3S-BR 813961 oval hole A model

Hi Folks,

I have owned a Washburn M-3S-BR, serial 813961 oval hole A model mandolin for nearly 30 years and it's a good, very playable workhorse with a good sound and apparently sturdy construction considering it is still in one piece after being all over the place with me down the years.

I bought it used in London, UK, but the seller had no idea about its history or construction.

It seems to be in competely original condition, minus the 21st. fret, which is somewhere in a field in Ireland!

As far as I can tell, it is an early '80s model, probably made in Japan or South Korea.

Please see attached images (the final '1' digit of the serial number is obscured by the fretboard intruding into the image).

I am trying to find more information about this instrument, specifically what construction methods and which woods may have been used.

I'm not planning to sell it so its monetary value is of no interest to me- I value it for its playability and sound.

Any information about the history, construction and materials used in this instrument would be most gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_44X5471.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	491.6 KB 
ID:	197651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_44X5469.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	680.9 KB 
ID:	197652