Thread: Calace, "Notturno Cielo Stellato": Robert Margo, mandola in G

Default Calace, "Notturno Cielo Stellato": Robert Margo, mandola in G

Raffaele Calace left no solo pieces for mandola in G (octave mandolin). Some of his many works for solo mandolin, however, are feasible (if challenging) on the larger instrument. In that spirit, here is a performance of “Notturno Cielo Stellato, Op. 186,”originally for solo mandolin, but performed here on an octave instrument made by Alfred Woll (2005). The video was made for the virtual open mic at the Classical Mandolin Society of America’s “Convention in the Clouds” (November 12-14, 2021).

Robert A. Margo

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to margora For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Calace, "Notturno Cielo Stellato": Robert Margo, mandola in G

What a lovely piece. I really enjoy the sound of classical music on the octave. Thank you

"What a lovely piece. I really enjoy the sound of classical music on the octave. Thank you"

Thanks for the nice comment -- much appreciated!
    Robert A. Margo

One of my very favorite of Calace compositions. Difficult enough on mandolin but you do a beautiful job on the mandola. Calace’s performance instrument was liuto. Are any of those pieces playable or adaptable to the mandola in G?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

"One of my very favorite of Calace compositions. Difficult enough on mandolin but you do a beautiful job on the mandola. Calace’s performance instrument was liuto. Are any of those pieces playable or adaptable to the mandola in G?"

Thanks, Jim, much appreciated! Regarding your question about Calace's solo music for liuto, yes, some can be adapted to the mandola in G, but this usually involves leaving out a few notes (on the C string) and/or transposing all or part of a passage up an octave. Here is an example.
    Robert A. Margo

Well done (again), Mr Margo.
    You’ve done a few vids of solo Mandola in G pieces. Any thoughts about compiling them on a CD (EP?) for purchase. I’d like a copy.
    Thanx, peace & good health,
    Joe B
    A Splendid Time is Guaranteed for All

"Well done (again), Mr Margo.
    You’ve done a few vids of solo Mandola in G pieces. Any thoughts about compiling them on a CD (EP?) for purchase. I’d like a copy."

Thanks, Joe, I'm flattered! I actually have been thinking about an EP, just have to find the time to do it (given my day job of economics professor).
    Robert A. Margo