Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What PA gear brands do you favor?

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Default What PA gear brands do you favor?

Sold my PA during lockdown. Now I'd like to assemble a smaller, simpler rig: just a four-XLR mixer, a 10" powered speaker, and a strand.

What brands do you like? Which would you avoid?

For example, if you're familiar with their gear, what do you think of Allen & Heath, Alto, Beringer, Bose, EV, JBL, Peavey, Mackie, Rockville, Yamaha, or Yorkville?

Thanks!
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Default Re: What PA gear brands do you favor?

QSC is the bomb, but expensive. I'm perfectly happy with my Alto powered speakers, I've got a pair of 1st generation TS112 for mains and 4 of the budget TX10 for monitors. For mixer I've got a 16 channel QSC TouchMix, and a couple of older Behringers (pre built-in effects), a 20 (12 mic inputs?) and an 8 (4 mic inputs). The smallest cheapest one is the one a use the most these days. If I was putting together a setup like you want I'd get an Alto powered speaker (TX310 ~$150) and whichever 4 XLR mixer had the features/effects I liked. Used a house Mackie ProFX10v3 at a couple different places (just vocals for low volume acoustic rock) and seemed pretty good.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jefflester For This Useful Post:

Allen and Heath mixers are excellent if you can afford them.

5. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

It's been a couple of years since I was in a performing duo, but here's what I used and can reccomend:

• Two QSC K10 powered speakers as mains
    • One EV ZXA1 powered speaker as shared floor monitor
    • Ultimate Telelock speaker stands
    • Alllen & Heath compact analog mixer., original Zed-10 version
    • DPA 4099 clip-on mics for mandolin, my guitarist, and occasional guest fiddler.
    • Sennheiser analog wireless
    • Pro Co Siamese Twin cables combining AC power and XLR feed to the powered speakers. These are heavier than separate cables and not as easy to coil, but makes setup and teardown much faster.

If I was doing it again, the only changes I would make would be a digital instead of analog wireless system, and probably a QSC compact digital mixer. I'd still carry the A&H analog mixer as backup. Always bring a backup for anything essential.

Brands I would continue to avoid would be Mackie and Behringer but that's just my personal bias and opinion. I've had good results with Soundcraft analog mixers in the past, but I haven't kept up with their current lineup.
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

7. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    QSC is the bomb, but expensive. I'm perfectly happy with my Alto powered speakers, I've got a pair of 1st generation TS112 for mains and 4 of the budget TX10 for monitors. For mixer I've got a 16 channel QSC TouchMix, and a couple of older Behringers (pre built-in effects), a 20 (12 mic inputs?) and an 8 (4 mic inputs). The smallest cheapest one is the one a use the most these days. If I was putting together a setup like you want I'd get an Alto powered speaker (TX310 ~$150) and whichever 4 XLR mixer had the features/effects I liked. Used a house Mackie ProFX10v3 at a couple different places (just vocals for low volume acoustic rock) and seemed pretty good.
    Good to know you like Alto. The prices are right. Thanks!

By the way, it sounds like the Alto TX series is cheaper than the TS. Notice much difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    Allen and Heath mixers are excellent if you can afford them.
    Their ZED line is priced nicely. It's one I'm considering. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    It's been a couple of years since I was in a performing duo, but here's what I used and can reccomend:

• Two QSC K10 powered speakers as mains
    • One EV ZXA1 powered speaker as shared floor monitor
    • Ultimate Telelock speaker stands
    • Alllen & Heath compact analog mixer., original Zed-10 version
    • DPA 4099 clip-on mics for mandolin, my guitarist, and occasional guest fiddler.
    • Sennheiser analog wireless
    • Pro Co Siamese Twin cables combining AC power and XLR feed to the powered speakers. These are heavier than separate cables and not as easy to coil, but makes setup and teardown much faster.

If I was doing it again, the only changes I would make would be a digital instead of analog wireless system, and probably a QSC compact digital mixer. I'd still carry the A&H analog mixer as backup. Always bring a backup for anything essential.

Brands I would continue to avoid would be Mackie and Behringer but that's just my personal bias and opinion. I've had good results with Soundcraft analog mixers in the past, but I haven't kept up with their current lineup.
    The four-XLR ZED is sounding more and more like the one. Thanks!
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; Apr-05-2023 at 4:36pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Good to know you like Alto. The prices are right. Thanks!

By the way, it sounds like the Alto TX series is cheaper than the TS. Notice much difference?
    The TS series are significantly more power for the same speaker size (TS410 2000 watts vs TX310 350 watts) so that's certainly a driving factor, also more inputs/controls. My only direct comparison would be that I used to use the TS112 in my home rehearsal space with a full on rock band and they were good, but after a few years of no activity now use the TX10 in the same space but now it's an acoustic rock band and they are perfectly good as well.

12. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:

Very happy with the Bose system with the Tonematch. We run a local 2 or 3 piece acoustic through it every week and it sounds clear and clean. A few "pros" have used it and really liked it too. Even used it for an auction the other day. Easy to use and easy to carry.

14. The following members say thank you to JimKo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JimKo View Post
    Very happy with the Bose system with the Tonematch. We run a local 2 or 3 piece acoustic through it every week and it sounds clear and clean. A few "pros" have used it and really liked it too. Even used it for an auction the other day. Easy to use and easy to carry.
    Good to read all the flattering reports on Bose. Not surprised.

I'm thinking of one that's not as pricey as some of their gear, the Bose S1.

16. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

Charlie, the S1 is what I have. So far it has handled everything we have thrown at it from small Café rooms to a decent sized outdoor courtyard. We always seem to have plenty of headroom.

18. The following members say thank you to JimKo for this post:

Good to know. Looks like a great little speaker. I think I've narrowed it down to either that or a JBL EON710. It'll probably just depend on what's available used when I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Thanks!

I bought some Yamaha 10" passive speakers maybe 30 years ago. Used as monitors and as mains. They've taken a lot of use and abuse and keep working. The new Yamaha powered speakers come with a 7 year warranty, which means they know they are building them right. If I ever upgrade, I'd get Yamaha powered speakers.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

21. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

I’ll second what Don said. I have a pair of Yamaha DBR12s and they are fantastic. I also have some of the cheaper Alto 10s that we use for monitors sometimes but they are a drop in the bucket compared to the Yamahas. I have the little Yamaha mixer and also a Soundcraft UI16. I assume the 10 channel Yamaha mixer is very solid as well and can easily be found used.

23. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

Dave Sheets

I have a couple of RCF 10 inch speakers, very clear, lots of headroom. The QSC 10 is also great. I have a couple of altos 10 inch we use as monitors, they are okay.

The soundcraft UI mixers are really nifty if you want to go with a digital mixer. The preamps on the smaller UI mixers are not as good as the larger models (IMO).
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

25. The following members say thank you to Dave Sheets for this post:

Our Soundcraft UI16 has served us faithfully for the last 5 years or so. If I were gigging more I would consider an upgrade to a QSC one as it is far from perfect but for our needs and budget at the time it has worked out well. If I were just running 4 channels I would be more inclined to go analog instead of having to figure out and run the ipad situation.

27. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

Charlie, if you go for the Bose S1, be sure to budget for a speaker stand. With the speaker firing up high, you get a better dispersion across the room and you're not just blasting the front row of the audience in order to be heard at the back of the room, like you do with speakers closer to the floor.

It's not as important if you're on a raised stage with the audience lower, but if you're at floor level with the audience, then getting some height for your sound reinforcement is important. The S1 actually has a switch inside the pole socket so it "knows" to adjust the dispersion angle a bit wider when it's on a speaker stand.
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

29. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

I really like QSC. But if I was in the market for a less expensive mixer, I'd go with a Mackie ProFx mixer. They are pretty sturdy. Alto speakers are good for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Charlie, if you go for the Bose S1, be sure to budget for a speaker stand. With the speaker firing up high, you get a better dispersion across the room and you're not just blasting the front row of the audience in order to be heard at the back of the room, like you do with speakers closer to the floor.

It's not as important if you're on a raised stage with the audience lower, but if you're at floor level with the audience, then getting some height for your sound reinforcement is important. The S1 actually has a switch inside the pole socket so it "knows" to adjust the dispersion angle a bit wider when it's on a speaker stand.
    Yup. I plan to get a stand, too, no matter what speaker I get. No one wants to sit right in front of a speaker — well — some do, but that's not my audience!

Charlie, Slight correction. We are running the Bose L1 not the S1. No stand needed. Very clear vocals. Only slight complaint is that we had to pay extra for a cover which should have definitely been included in the price. Hopefully they have changed that policy.

33. The following members say thank you to JimKo for this post:

Alden, Minnesota, 12 miles west of where I-90 and I-35 cross in Southern, Minnesota

I'm still analog, and the group does all kinds of music, so my/our needs might be a bit different. I use an Allen and Heath GL2400 mixer, EV speakers and subs, old Sonic moniters, and QSC amps. That, unfortunately, means a longer set-up time is needed. Still, it works for our needs. (indoor and outdoor concerts)
    "Put your hands to the wood
    Touch the music put there by the summer sun and wind
    The rhythms of the rain, locked within the rings
    And let your fingers find The Music in the Wood."
    Joe Grant and Al Parrish (chorus from The Music in the Wood)

35. The following members say thank you to David Rambo for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Fishman and Bose are my go to brands. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

37. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

I'm a Bose guy with the L1 Model 2 with the T4S ToneMatch mixer for the best coverage and overall projection with LOTS of headroom.

For smaller rooms and going solo I use the S1Pro on a stand. The system is totally battery powered including my iPad, Myers clamp-mic and MightyBright music stand light. This setup gets plenty loud too.

When I need something in-between I'll use the 2nd S1Pro and ToneMatch.

The only issue with the most stripped down of these options would be the 2 inputs on the S1Pro and you said you wanted 4. That's where the ToneMatch could come in.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

39. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Charlie, I'd take the JBL over the Bose no question. Bose is fine; IMO JBL is better sounding at less dollars.

Rockville makes decent stands that will hold the weight no worries.

Basic analog four channel mixers from Mackie and Soundcraft are decent bets.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Greenspoon View Post
    Charlie, I'd take the JBL over the Bose no question. Bose is fine; IMO JBL is better sounding at less dollars.

Rockville makes decent stands that will hold the weight no worries.

Basic analog four channel mixers from Mackie and Soundcraft are decent bets.
    Thanks, Dave! Yeah, I'm leaning toward the JBL. A lot rides on the price, of course. Just spent everything on burning a couple hundred CDs, so the checkbook needs to refill.

If the California reservoirs can do it, so can my bank account!