Thread: Second regiment scottish horse – John McColl

Default Second regiment scottish horse – John McColl

Default Re: Second regiment scottish horse – John McColl

Not sure if there was supposed to be more to the post above, but here's the tune, a pipe march, on cittern. The second one piece, Fr. J.A. Rankin, is a Cape Breton fiddle tune. If the links don't work, search YouTube for "Second Regiment Scottish Horse / Father John Angus Rankin / Kay Girroir".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZkO...l=TuckamoreDew

Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

A fine set, Ranald, especially the Scottish Horse!
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

5. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    A fine set, Ranald, especially the Scottish Horse!
    A fine set indeed, but, just to be clear, that's not me playing (I don't know a cittern from a cistern), despite any resemble to my avatar picture.
    Last edited by Ranald; Nov-25-2021 at 9:40pm.
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."

Thanks for the clarification, Ranald. The Father John Angus Rankin that is the second tune in the set is very different from the Jerry Holland composition I know. I wonder if Father John was well known enough to have more than one tune written for him?
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

Father John Angus Rankin, the man, was well known among Cape Breton fiddlers. I believe he was a fiddler himself, and is often credited with personally starting the Cape Breton fiddle "revival" by organizing a concert and a fiddle society in the early 1970's in response to a national TV show entitled, "The Vanishing Cape Breton Fiddler." Like most legends of origin, this is a vast oversimplification of the situation. Not only did the Cape Breton fiddle revival parallel other revivals happening across the country and around the world during the same period, but other people, especially John Allen Cameron with his TV shows, were also promoting Cape Breton fiddling. In fact, as Father Rankin showed when he gathered together fiddlers from across the island, Cape Breton fiddlers were not vanishing. Still, he helped instill pride in the musical culture of Cape Breton, and directly or indirectly influenced many young people to take up fiddle. Father John Angus Rankin, the march was composed by Jerry Holland, and Father John Angus Rankin, the strathspey, was composed by Dan Angus Beaton, an outstanding fiddler who was much older than Jerry, and whose descendants, e.g., Kinnon and Andrea Beaton are well-known fiddlers and pianists.

Biographical info on Father Rankin: https://beatoninstitute.com/rankin-fr-john-angus

Vanishing Cape Breton Fiddler (with Fr. Rankin):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xr5...hannel=ceolach

https://www.erudit.org/en/journals/a...d35_2art01.pdf
    Last edited by Ranald; Nov-26-2021 at 12:16pm.

9. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Thanks again, Ranald. Cape Breton is certainly still a huge force in the world of traditional fiddling and there seems to be a vey close relationship with Scotttish fiddling.

11. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Ranald 

Hello, for a long time I mistook this tune for another, due to the mixup by Allen Feruson on youtube. He named it John McColl's Farewell to the Scottish Horse. A long and wide search on the internet eventually surfaced the true name of this great piece Second Regiment Scottish Horse. Glad to be successful I thought the mandocafe might be interested in this. It is great fun to play, especially with the correct notation at hand , which I had to subscribe and added tab for mandolin. Enjoy and have fun, stay safe. Werner

Finally I succeeded to transform to tef which I did not use for a very long time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails second reg sc horse.pdf  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Werner Jaekel; Nov-27-2021 at 6:46pm.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Werner Jaekel For This Useful Post:

Lovely, and the cat thought so too!