Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunlop Primetone picks

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Dunlop Primetone picks

The thread on mandolin-centric Christmas gifts got me thinking. Everyone seemed to come out of the woodwork to recommend super premium picks like Blue chip (which are actually orange if you're ever seen one, go figure). Now I'm sorry, but the cheap old SOB in me just can't make myself spend that much on one pick. However, it did make me remember that the guy who recommended Elderly Instruments to me as the place for me to buy my first mandolin, Baron Collins-Hill over at MandoLessons.com, includes Jim Dunlop Prime Tone picks in everyone of his starting mandolin gear packages. And a guitar store a few towns over from me sells 3-packs of Jim Dunlop Prime Tones for just under $10.00. So last week I took a drive up to that store and picked up a pack and have been playing with them

After playing for a week with this new pick Primetone Triangle 1.4mm Sculpted with Grip (the only triangle picks he had in stock) I can truthfully say that my ears detect no difference in tone at all. I will admit that the triangle shape, compared to the traditional teardrop shape of my usual Jim Dunlop USA Nylon 1.0s, did make my grip in the pick feel like it was more secure, and made me feel like I had better control. So much so that I've ordered a 3-pack of smooth triangle 1.5s from Amazon, with the possibility of a 12-pack to come if I like them.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Default Re: Dunlop Primetone picks

Good for you. My Ultex picks came yesterday, 346 shape in 3 thicknesses. So far, so good. The Primetones are on the bench for now.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I like the Primetone picks. They are among the 3 picks that seem to rotate as my "favorite": Primetone, Wegen Bluegrass, and Ultex 1.4

Those smooth large triangle Primetones are good picks, I keep some on hand for backups. I wouldn't rush to buy a dozen though, you're not likely notice much, if any wear on them.

Those players of super premium picks likely play pricey instruments that are sensitive enough that a premium pick makes a difference. I will say that for advanced players with high quality instruments, Blue Chip picks do make a remarkable difference, both in tone and response. It's not just hype. When you play a $10,000 instrument (or even $5,000), a $40 pick doesn't seem like such an extravagance. Enjoy your new picks and Merry Christmas!

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Oh, here we go again...

Short answer: try them both for yourself. I did and found bc's are far superior in every way.
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

Quote Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
    After playing for a week with this new pick Primetone Triangle 1.4mm Sculpted with Grip (the only triangle picks he had in stock) I can truthfully say that my ears detect no difference in tone at all.
    Glad you found something you like at a reasonable price. I'm a Primetone fan too. IMO, the smooth ones have a slightly more Bluechipesque sound than the grippy ones but YMMV. And keep in mind that the number of pick-strokes it takes to burn through a few dozen primetones won't put a scintilla of wear on the B.C.

Everyone seemed to come out of the woodwork to recommend super premium picks like Blue chip (which are actually orange if you're ever seen one, go figure).
    I have seen one and I think you might want to adjust the tint on your monitor.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Blog Entries

I like the Primetone picks a lot and was sold on them as my number one choice until I tried the Blue Chip I now have. i will say, I've never been so concerned about where a pick is, haha. The Primetone's are great picks and especially so for the cost. I'll add, the Blue Chip doesn't leave my house. I play Primetones or Clown Barfs when I'm out. The utility of the Clown Barf colors is great for me because I'm especially gifted at losing picks.

If Dunlop is reading this please hear my plea.... Please, please, please start making a non-beveled Primetone triangular 1.4 pick. My only gripe with Primetones is the bevel. I'll buy lots of them if you make them without the bevellllllll!
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

I’ve been A/B-ing a bunch of picks recently. And as much as I used to like Primetone picks, they have a clicky/plinky sound on the strings that I don’t think I noticed until I started using a Bluechip. I’ll keep one in my case as a loaner pick, but I can’t see myself going back.

Quote Originally Posted by nultylynch View Post
    I’ve been A/B-ing a bunch of picks recently. And as much as I used to like Primetone picks, they have a clicky/plinky sound on the strings that I don’t think I noticed until I started using a Bluechip. I’ll keep one in my case as a loaner pick, but I can’t see myself going back.
    My experience is similar. The PT's (both types- smooth and grippy) sound shrill and clicky to me. I've given most of mine away and use the remaining ones on electric bass when playing something driving. Also, the PT's tend to spin in my hand when used on mandolin.

IMHO, you get what you pay for.
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

I've been using the Primetone picks for a few years on my guitar, the 1.5mm smooth, large triangles. The have a slightly darker tone than the "grip" models. Definitely my favorite for that use. (I currently like a bit darker tone on the mandolin than I can draw out with the Primetone, but that's just me.)
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

The mandolin I bought through the classifieds here had a couple Dunlop Prime Tone semiround 1.3 in the gig bag. I’d started out using whatever guitar picks were laying around then bought some Dawg 1.5 mm picks from Acoustic Disk. Being in my first months of playing mandolin I found that controlling the thick Dawg picks was challenging. The Dunlops, being 0.2 mm thinner and being of a different material are a good fit at this stage. I’m happy with them but I’ll try whatever someone hands me.
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

Like Zach, I too found Primetones to be on the click-y side. I use Bluechip picks for both acoustic guitar and mandolin playing. When you consider that I've had my TPR35 for going on 11 years, with barely any visible wear on it, that's pretty decent value for money in my book. Used ones pop up in the classifieds quite frequently and are easy enough to sell on if they don't work out. On the affordable side of things, my go to cheap picks are Jim Dunlop Delrin 500's - I play with the shoulder end of the teardrop ones and could happily only use them if there weren't any Bluechips in the world!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I'm happy for you.

Primetones are good. Like them with my Strad-O-Lin. That and Blue Chip get the loudest sound. Neither works well on my Coombe. That likes Tortex .73 (yellow) picks best. Gives enough volume to keep up with fiddles and even a full band.

Have a ton of Blue Chips and am now starting to hear too much click from them. Didn't bother me when I was just playing guitar. Now on mandolin, it's become a distraction. But I'm way too picky and tough to satisfy in trying to create my own sound. Primetones have less of that click for me, when I'm playing and with my style.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

To me, there's a big tone difference between Primetone 1.4 triangle and the 1.5 smooth.

I keep 1.5 Primetones handy because they work for me and I like the tone.
    Not as much as I like Wegen TF140, but enough that I'm OK if Primetone's my only choice.
    I bought several , not because they wear out but because I tend to lose picks.

And the BlueChip CT pick looks kinda brown to me.
    Bren

16. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

I switched to the Primetone 1.4 picks about a year ago and think they are excellent. I’d be happy to pay $100 for a pick if I thought it noticeably improved my tone or playing. I’ve tried and returned the BC, since I like the Primetone better.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elb2000 For This Useful Post:

Currently I like these, which are also Dunlop Primetones (3 mm):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	477-508.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	198116

D.H.

20. The following members say thank you to Dave Hicks for this post:

Picks and picking technique have been a focus of mine during the pandemic. I used to be a Wegen user, but find that more mundane picks works just fine for me. I found two Primetone 1.3 round picks that I tried on my Ellis and they sounded every bit as good as the BC I had been using. I think it is more the technique than the pick but then I may not know sh!t from Shinola.
    Last edited by Bob Buckingham; Dec-13-2021 at 11:11am.

Adrian Minarovic

I've played dozens of various picks before I settled on shape I liked most. I intentionally say shape and not brand/material as my experience and tests have shown that the shape is the biggest factor in tone. If the material is similar in density/ surface hardness the sound of pick shaped the same will be indistinguishable. I reshaped rethicknessed or modified many picks I had and also made many new ones from all possible materials from natural horn to plastics or wood.
    I settled on celluloid 1.4-1.5mm thickness of shape almost identical as the medium large triangle from BC as I often strated with the GG picks and shaped them more triangular with hint of points. That was years before the "boutique" picks came. Few years ago I had few new primetones at hand one older BC, Gravity and various other picks so i selected a bunch and shaped them as close as possible to the BC. I shaped all bevels to my liking - meaning very little asymmetry in bevel and recorded couple of tunes with each. the tone was impossible to tell apart.
    Nylon and acrylic were a bit different but PEEK, PI, PEI, Celluloid and Casein (Galalith) were indistinguishable.Long term playing revealed some smaller differences in wear with the first three almost same celluloid and casein wearing faster. Acrylic (at least the variety I had) wears into somewhat rougher texture making scratchy noise after some time. The others remain more smooth.
    Some folks tend to say that BC doesn't wear but they do. My friend who plays 120+ gigs a year buys the larger triangle and rotates the points and visits me every few monts to smooth out and bring back the slight point that he'd worn away. He throws the pick after a year and half or so as it is too small for his hand (just about the size of the smaller triangle that i like) and leaves it to me.
    My RH technique is different from his and I barely wear celluloid pick in a decade so for me tay are lifelong but so are the primetones. I never liked any grip on picks and I believe with good RH you don't need any unless you have some perspiration problem.
    Adrian

Blog Entries

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to this thread I did something IU've been meaning to do for at least a year: I emailed Dunlop's marketing department to see if they'll make a non-beveled Primetone. Here's what I sent in the online customer form:

The smooth, triangular, 1.4 Primetone picks... I'm a mandolin player and currently choose Blue Chip picks over Primetones because I don't like the bevel on the Primetones and Blue Chip offers a non-beveled option. However, I feel Primetones would be my preferred pick if they didn't have the bevel. The bevel is conducive to slappy, thin tone. Any chance you would consider making non-beveled Primetone picks?

I actually sent it to the general inquiries contact, marketing sales. Sending things to sales is often a good idea because if anyone in a company is checking messages regularly, it's sales. In fact, within minutes the sales department responded to my inquiry suggesting I contact the marketing department. Since I already did, I think it's covered. Hope it works!
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

24. The following members say thank you to Kevin Briggs for this post:

Primetone picks and OK pick. I played BC for years, and liked the tone except for the G string. The glide thru the strings is what made the BC great for me. Every other pick was sticky in the strings compared to a BC. Then I tried Wegen, I like the tone better, and the glide thru the strings was good too. I use a 1 and was thinning them down, until I decided it was too much work and ordered a couple to the thickness I like. Think I have found my pick of choice. Hmmmm POC wonder if it will catch on?
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Prime tone are my choice - I like 1.5, I admit they can be clicky ( but that is probably mostly user error) , but they do produce a nice even and generally loud tone, I have ordered dozens and will order more, I tend to give them away here and there, and every one I have given one to says they love them.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

I noticed mine was clicky today, but then I also noticed that I was strumming parallels to the strings. I introduced a little angle and it went away.

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

I was prowling YouTube and I came across this video. The guys plays nine different "high end" picks from Blue Chip to Clown Barf.

I challenge people to watch this video and then tell me you can detect ANY difference in tone, because I couldn't.

29. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

I was prowling YouTube and I came across this video. The guys plays nine different "high end" picks from Blue Chip to Clown Barf.

I challenge people to watch this video and then tell me you can detect ANY difference in tone, because I couldn't.

I can. Good luck on your Mando journey