Thread: Vintage Two Point Carved Top Mandolin - Looking for information

Default Vintage Two Point Carved Top Mandolin - Looking for information

Hey,
    I bought this mandolin in a craigslist sale for $50 and I'm looking for some information about it. The seller didn't know its history. Any ideas? Thanks!

Can anyone I.D. it? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5573.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	197577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5575.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	197576Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5577.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	197575Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5576.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	197574Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5579.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	197573Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5580.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	197572

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reasonableshirts For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Vintage Two Point Carved Top Mandolin - Looking for informati

Very interesting and quite beautiful! But I have no idea who made it. It does look as if it needs a better-fitting tailpiece. A luthier could help you. Good luck with it! I hope it sounds as great as it looks.

Thanks! I agree about the tailpiece. I haven't put much tension on the strings because it looks like there's something wrong with the way the tailpiece is attached. I plan on bringing it to a luthier.

Show the tuners as they may help date its era. It appears to have been inspired by Martin archtop two point mandolins. It may be one that has been modified.

https://i.imgur.com/65z6RYj.jpeg

Here's a shot of the tuners. Tried and failed adding it to the original post.

I have seen a set of tuners with many similarities but not the same advertised as 1970s units on eBay but this seller is not always correct with his attributions. Here is the headline:

Vintage 70's Gibson Mandolin Kluson Tuners Set for Project Upgrade

The tuners appear to be fairly modern which suggest the mandolin is not that old. A bit of a mystery. The tuners may not be from Kluson- I don't know if that style was copied in the Far East.

Here ya go. Yes, inspired but not a modified Martin 2-20 or 2-30. Different proportions (see below).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tunersMC.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	273.4 KB 
ID:	197579 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attachment.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	197581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	martin.2-30.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	197580
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

WoW I'm in lust-I love those old OddBall Mandolins! I should be getting my Sept.1934 Joe Wilson back very soon! The tuners look to be wartime or directly postwar gold plated Kluson A style tuners!

Its a very interesting build. I'm impressed with the whole vibe of her! Love the TS headstock faceplate! It looks very well made, the carving, wood selection well overall craftsmanship! I've never seen another like it so its probably someone in the violin worlds attempt at a custom mandolin for himself or client? Can you tell where this bad boy surfaced and is there any label or writing on the inside? Thanks in advance! Its VERY KOOL

The tuners are much newer than post war and they are Klusons. Somebody did some nice work but that is probably going to need a custom tailpiece or at least a modified tailpiece. Obviously built by someone with some skills in lutherie but I don't think it came out of a factory. It would appear they built a nice custom case for it as well. If I had run into that I would have had to buy it. Nice snag.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Some more information about the instrument:
    There are some minor checks in the lacquer. The bracing looks to be tone bar. The neck is straight and the fretboard seems fine. No wood cracks or separation that I can feel anywhere on the body. The only flaw I can see is around the missing tailpiece screw. There's a little chipping around the screw hole.

I assumed that thing didn't have enough room for the screw. If the hole is just enlarged it should be an easy fix with wood glue and some round toothpicks and a new screw. Healing a hole under the metal plate won't be too tough.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

That is an awesome find. I agree with Jim Garber that it looks to be inspired by that model Martin. Even down to the one piece bridge. Hopefully an easy fix to get it up and strumming.

Case looks to be well made, too.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

15. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

That is a wonderful buy. Enjoy your mandolin.

17. The following members say thank you to Skip Kelley for this post:

I thought the problem with the tailpiece was that the back screw was near to the edge of the mandolin and from the photo looks like it would screw into the binding. Then again can’t really tell from the photos.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Here's a better view of the tailpiece

Name:	258158227_10221501911397309_6583511484793595498_n.jpeg 
Views:	117 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	197590

Name:	257871198_10221501908317232_5213897502032781886_n.jpeg 
Views:	112 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	197591

Blog Entries

If it was mine I'd have to see her in hand to see what I wanted to do so the job looked and fit with that really fine mandolin! It looks scary where the bottom screw would go in the above photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I thought the problem with the tailpiece was that the back screw was near to the edge of the mandolin and from the photo looks like it would screw into the binding. Then again can’t really tell from the photos.
    I think it's hitting the seam and not the tail block. If it was me I'd sculpt the bottom of the tailpiece a bit to shorten it up, drill a new hole and have the base replated.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

22. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I think it's hitting the seam and not the tail block. If it was me I'd sculpt the bottom of the tailpiece a bit to shorten it up, drill a new hole and have the base replated.
    Or replace the tailpiece altogether. I wonder, though, if the depth of the sides is non-standard or at least a bit less deep than most mandolins. That looks like a standard clamshell TP.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

24. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

The tailpiece is a standard sort of Waverly Cloud. I don't think there is anything shorter. If you simply duplicated the contours on the bottom above the lowest screw hole and then drilled the hole above it would probably be fine and it would look pretty normal at the same time.

I don't know why but I think we've seen this same caliber build, not the same shape but a similar finish that popped up being used by a midwest mandolin orchestra. I just can't quite place it.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    The tailpiece is a standard sort of Waverly Cloud. I don't think there is anything shorter. If you simply duplicated the contours on the bottom above the lowest screw hole and then drilled the hole above it would probably be fine and it would look pretty normal at the same time.

I don't know why but I think we've seen this same caliber build, not the same shape but a similar finish that popped up being used by a midwest mandolin orchestra. I just can't quite place it.
    Interesting. If it comes to you, please let us know.

Today I brought it to Retrofret in Brooklyn. The luthier, Harry agreed with others in this thread who said it was likely built by an independent builder. It was the opinion of Harry that the materials were good quality and that it was produced by an experienced builder of instruments. Harry is repairing the tailpiece and setting up the instrument for me. I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds. I'll be sure to report back to the thread with a recording.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reasonableshirts For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Yeah buddy, if you can post a video demo of it so we can all get an idea of its tonal voice! I still really like this one for its serious odd ball factor! One has to love the old mandolin oddities!

Blog Entries

On a side note Mike, what makes you think those Kluson tuners are 70's? I had a 1949 all original F-12 and it had the same gold plated plastic button Kluson's? Just curious buddy?

Hoping to get this mandolin back from the luthier this week. Looking forward to hearing how it sounds. I'll post some videos and record some high quality audio.

31. The following members say thank you to reasonableshirts for this post: