Thread: Microphone recommendations

Default Microphone recommendations

I’m looking for a recommendation on mics that would work for a small gig or in my music room for my mandolins and guitars. I use a Schertler Jam 100 amp that has phantom power on its XLR inputs. I’m looking for is a mic with a nice warm sound. I don’t care for a mic where the top end is harsh sounding.

I have been looking at the following mics, Neumann 184, AKG C451B and a Shure SM81 and a Sennheiser MKH50. I also like the Schoeps CMC 6/MK4 nice warm sound but not the price.

I would like to get a good mic and be done with it and not go through the process of buying a mic and then upgrading at a later date. I know we all have been down that road before with instruments.
    Last edited by Darwin Gaston; Nov-30-2021 at 3:58pm.
    2023 A. Lawrence Smart A5
    2022 Girouard Griffith Tribute A5
    2021 Ellis F5 Special
    2021 Girouard Concert Master F Oval-hole
    2020 Heiden Artist Plus A5
    1992 Givens A6
    1919 Martin Style C

Default Re: Microphone recommendations

Has to be archived responses from the many past times this question was asked..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Has to be archived responses from the many past times this question was asked..
    Mandroid,

I agree there are some responses on the Neumann 184 and the Shure SM81. However I would like some recommendations and comparisons with the Sennheiser MKH50, AKG C451B and the Schoeps 6/MK4 also.
    2021 Ellis F5 Special
    1992 Givens A6
    1919 Martin Style C

Blog Entries

I am very happy with the large-diaphragm Shure KSM32. Very smooth high end, and very even color off-axis. I used it at close range for my solo album. About $500.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Over the years I used KM184, Gefell M300, KM84, Schoeps MK4, vintage Gefell M592/M70 on mandolin. KM84 and vintage Gefell are hard to come by these days. So my ranking would be Schoeps - Gefell M300 - KM184.
    And for sure there are other great mics out there that I would prefer over the KM184 (detailed , but has some unpleasing treble register to my ear): The above mentioned Shure KSM32, Shure SM81, Austrian Audio OC818, Miktek C5 ...
    Ellis F5 Special Deluxe custom
    Anton Krutz F5
    Lawrence Smart H 5 Mandola
    Gibson K 2 Mandocello
    Northfield mahogany arch top Octave Mandolin

guitars, banjo, dobro, weissenborn, pedal steel, fretless bass, upright bass

Quote Originally Posted by mando-bob View Post
    Over the years I used KM184, Gefell M300, KM84, Schoeps MK4, vintage Gefell M592/M70 on mandolin. KM84 and vintage Gefell are hard to come by these days. So my ranking would be Schoeps - Gefell M300 - KM184.
    And for sure there are other great mics out there that I would prefer over the KM184 (detailed , but has some unpleasing treble register to my ear): The above mentioned Shure KSM32, Shure SM81, Austrian Audio OC818, Miktek C5 ...
    Mandolin-bob,

I appreciate your recommendations. I need to check out the Schoeps and the Gefell M300 more. I was looking at getting a KM184 but I don’t care for the top end harsh treble. I’m looking more for a warmer sound mic. Thanks
    2021 Ellis F5 Special
    1992 Givens A6
    1919 Martin Style C

While I've not had actual experience with the mic's your considering, they are all high quality and I expect they'll faithfully reproduce the sound of the instrument you put them on. Mandolin is a bright sounding instrument by nature and a good condenser is going to pick up those high frequencies coming off the top we don't hear as much as we play (IME). A mic eq'd for vocals will fall off those higher frequencies and may be an OK choice mandolin, not good for guitar though. Ideally, having a good graphic equalizer in the chain would allow you to taper the curve to eliminate that harshness without touching the good sound quality of the rest of the spectrum. Good luck in your quest.

There are some very high end mics on that list. If you are using them in a recording studio and have plenty of cash, fine. When those mics appear with a show for live sound, it's probably an ego that wants it. Get an SM81, it's been around a long time and sounds like a AKG 451 but you can't change the heads. It's a very durable condenser and I thought it a little warmer than the AKG. Warmth can be tone settings too.

Quote Originally Posted by Joed View Post
    There are some very high end mics on that list. If you are using them in a recording studio and have plenty of cash, fine. When those mics appear with a show for live sound, it's probably an ego that wants it. Get an SM81, it's been around a long time and sounds like a AKG 451 but you can't change the heads. It's a very durable condenser and I thought it a little warmer than the AKG. Warmth can be tone settings too.
    Joed,

I have decided to go with your recommendation using a Sure SM81. I watched some videos of the Sure SM81 and they really do sound good in a Stereo Pair when your playing guitar. I could put both SM81 mics on a adjustable microphone bar that accommodates two microphones that attaches to a stand. And point one microphone towards the 14th fret and the other one pointing towards bridge and sound hole.

When your using your Sure SM81 with a mandolin where do you usually place your mic to capture the best sound of your mandolin at the neck joint? Thanks…
    2021 Ellis F5 Special
    1992 Givens A6
    1919 Martin Style C

KM84 would probably be a pro's first choice. Expensive though. There is the Warm 84, a reasonably priced copy that seems to be in the ballpark. The recordings I have heard do not have hyped top end. My 184 has a very hyped top end. 451s also have a high end extension, though they can sound nice. My 184 can sound decent as well, depending on placement, instrument, picking, technique etc. I am more likely to wrestle with the 184 than grab an SM81. Though they can good on many sources, I have never been excited by them on stringed instruments although they will definitely get the job done. For years I have been using a Beta 57 as my go-to live mando mic (and for vocals as well). Solid, dependable, not as spiky sounding as an SM57, windscreen, etc.

Try positioning the mic near the lower F hole.

One I forgot to mentions in my previous post:
    Ear Trumpet Edwina. Yesterday evening I compared it to KM84 and Schoeps MK4 in my studio - sounds great!

Rode has a couple battery powered end addressed condensers so usable without a phantom power source.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mando-bob View Post
    One I forgot to mentions in my previous post:
    Ear Trumpet Edwina. Yesterday evening I compared it to KM84 and Schoeps MK4 in my studio - sounds great!
    Mando-bob,

I have a question when using your KM84, KM184 and Schoeps MK4 do you use them in matching pairs or do you use them individually? Thanks…
    2021 Ellis F5 Special
    1992 Givens A6
    1919 Martin Style C

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin Gaston View Post
    Joed,

I have decided to go with your recommendation using a Sure SM81. I watched some videos of the Sure SM81 and they really do sound good in a Stereo Pair when your playing guitar. I could put both SM81 mics on a adjustable microphone bar that accommodates two microphones that attaches to a stand. And point one microphone towards the 14th fret and the other one pointing towards bridge and sound hole.

When your using your Sure SM81 with a mandolin where do you usually place your mic to capture the best sound of your mandolin at the neck joint? Thanks…
    In my experience, pointing a mic at a guitar soundhole on a live stage is asking for trouble. When I played in a dance band, I followed the recommendation of aiming for the 14th fret, coming up from below. Anywhere else and the bass can be overpowering and muddy. On quieter tunes you can angle the guitar in closer to the end of the fretboard for a fuller sound.

Mandolin is a different creature, they throw such a strong percussive punch that having the mic 6-10" out in front of the bridge area is going to pick up well (with a condenser mic). You can move in and out as needed for chopping and playing lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    In my experience, pointing a mic at a guitar soundhole on a live stage is asking for trouble. When I played in a dance band, I followed the recommendation of aiming for the 14th fret, coming up from below. Anywhere else and the bass can be overpowering and muddy. On quieter tunes you can angle the guitar in closer to the end of the fretboard for a fuller sound.

Mandolin is a different creature, they throw such a strong percussive punch that having the mic 6-10" out in front of the bridge area is going to pick up well (with a condenser mic). You can move in and out as needed for chopping and playing lead.

Thanks for the recommendations on where to place your mic when playing a guitar and mandolin. This is going to be a new learning experience for me since I have never used a mic before when playing an instrument.
    2021 Ellis F5 Special
    1992 Givens A6
    1919 Martin Style C

16. The following members say thank you to Darwin Gaston for this post:

If you've never played with a mic before I'd recomend practicing with the mic while wearing headphones, preferably the closed type so that what you hear is coming thru the mic. Small movements make a difference and it's not something the sound man can keep track of.

Quote Originally Posted by Joed View Post
    If you've never played with a mic before I'd recomend practicing with the mic while wearing headphones, preferably the closed type so that what you hear is coming thru the mic. Small movements make a difference and it's not something the sound man can keep track of.
    Thanks for the good advice on wearing headphones while I’m practicing!
    2021 Ellis F5 Special
    1992 Givens A6
    1919 Martin Style C

Mando-bob,

I have a question when using your KM84, KM184 and Schoeps MK4 do you use them in matching pairs or do you use them individually? Thanks…
    Live on stage it has always been only one mic that I use. In the recording studio it depends.

Thanks for the recommendations on where to place your mic when playing a guitar and mandolin. This is going to be a new learning experience for me since I have never used a mic before when playing an instrument.
    Especially when miking an acoustic guitar on stage some high pass filtering is crucial to avoid an overly boomy muddy sound. Low cut set to 80 Hz as offered in many desks already helps but is not enough in my experience as a player and a soundman (i.e. John Reischman & The Jaybirds, Laurie Lewis ... when playing in Germany where I live).
    I use an old Neumann KM85 on stage which is in fact a KM84 with a fixed low frequency roll off starting at 200 Hz. Best I used so far on guitar, mandolin, dobro, bouzouki, banjo. That's exactly what I would do with any small diaphragm condenser mic when using it in this setting.
    Cheers,
    Robert

Do not over look the Audio Technica 4051 or for a tight pattern 4053. I’ve used these on stage for 25 years. Very good feed back rejection and fine sounding. Modest priced.
    John

2012 Collins MT-2 Birds Eye Maple
    1924 Gibson F-4
    2010 Custom National Resonator (one of a kind)
    1930 National Resonator with new custom neck and "Doug Unger" inlay and back painted by Howard "Louie Bluie" Armstrong
    2005 Godin A-8
    2013 Kentucky KM-1050 "stage and club mandolin"

Exclamation Re: Microphone recommendations

Let those with perfect hearing .. cast the 1st stone , eh ?

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture